PDA

View Full Version : FlyBe incident BHX - GLA

StainesFS
1st Jun 2012, 11:08
Flight passenger terror as cockpit blaze forces Glasgow-bound plane to make emergency landing - The Daily Record (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2012/06/01/flight-passenger-terror-as-cockpit-blaze-forces-glasgow-bound-plane-to-make-emergency-landing-86908-23881832/)

FlyBe enroute to GLA diverted back to BHX after fire/smoke reported.

Daughter-in-law was on this flight. Apparently most passengers were calmer than the article suggests (although clearly worried) but the report was pretty accurate as far as individual passengers and crew are concerned.

Tableview
1st Jun 2012, 11:16
A few things left out of the article.

'missing a crowded shopping centre and a school by a hair's breadth'
'smoke billowing from the engines'
'heroic captain wrestling with the controls'
'out of control, plunged thousands of feet in a few seconds'

DavidWoodward
1st Jun 2012, 11:19

etc.

You neglected to mention the "funny sound" the engines were making as well as the "rollercoaster ride".

fireflybob
1st Jun 2012, 11:22
No plummeting or narrowly avoiding schools? Must be a new journo on the job!

Ancient Mariner
1st Jun 2012, 11:27
If this is correct: "We saw smoke coming out of the cockpit and the captain announced there was a fire."
Then the only thing wrong with the article is this: "Flybe can confirm that as a precautionary measure the captain of the flight elected to return from airborne in response to a suspected minor electrical fault."
Per

dhc83driver
1st Jun 2012, 11:50
The passenger, a mother in her 30s, added: “We had to double-back to Birmingham and circle while we dumped fuel. Thankfully, we landed safely.”

Funny how passengers always go on about how they dumped fuel, still trying to find that button on the EJet.

Heathrow Harry
1st Jun 2012, 11:54
better the SLC think we're doing something rather than telling them we're on a 20 minute cross country detour waiting for a landing slot

Dont Hang Up
1st Jun 2012, 12:04
It is ironic that the reader comment at the end of the article is apparently an eye witness account from someone on board and is a far more factual, informative and readable piece than the article itself.

Not one single passenger screamed let alone "screamed their head off"' I
can't say whether people were using their mobiles to call family and say
goodbye, I can say that no one near me did! The smoke wasn't coming from the
cockpit it was coming from the air conditioning system and the captain certainly
did not say that there was a fire. None of the crew needed treatment for smoke
inhalation, all of the crew were taken to hospital for checks, which I
understood from the replacement crew is standard procedure in such
circumstances. As far as I could see, all the passengers were, on the face of
it, calm and collected during and after the incident. Perhaps the passenger
didn't want to be named because she knew she was talking utter baloney or
perhaps The Daily Record has mis-represented what the passenger said, either way
the Daily Record's version of events bear no resemblance to what actually
happened. FlyBe's crew dealt with the situation extremely well.

Herod
1st Jun 2012, 12:14
I liked the comment that last year the police closed the M27 "while the crew tried to locate a technical fault". I wonder what it was doing on the motorway, rather than in the aircraft?

Teevee
1st Jun 2012, 12:17
I suspect the quoted 'passenger' couldn't possibly be named as she probably didn't exist ... :ugh:

LetsFlyAway
1st Jun 2012, 12:36
Got to love the stupidity of journalists.

You have to laugh at the fact that journalists should be known to spend time investigating what they are reporting on, however, they are unable to do the simple things like...... oh I dont know....... how about something which is factual (and probably the only factual thing in the article).... get the name of the aircraft correct!

Earlier this year, the airline announced they would use a state-of-the-art Emraer 195 aircraft on the route.

Is this a new aircraft that no one knows about!!! oh no its an emBraer 195 they are referring to. You would expect that, to type "emraer" into google would take 2 seconds and you would suddenly have the correct spelling.:ugh:

Now, if this is true:

Terrified passengers last night told how they thought they were going to die as smoke billowed into the cabin.

Then why did this happen!?

The aircraft then taxied on to stand and the airport remained open as normal.

Contradiction much!

No wonder circulation figures of newspapers are falling by the second!

Dg800
1st Jun 2012, 13:36
No wonder circulation figures of newspapers are falling by the second!

I beg to differ. Circulation figures of newspapers are plummeting by the second! :E

pudoc
1st Jun 2012, 13:45
If anyones having issues with the link like I am, here's another:

Passengers on Flybe flight thought they were going to die after fire in cockpit - AOL Travel UK (http://travel.aol.co.uk/2012/06/01/screaming-flybe-passengers-make-goodbye-calls-after-fire-breaks-out-in-planes-cockpit/)

etc.

You missed the part where the "plane rocked violently left and right after take-off".

"Prime minister was scared for the lives on board and declared state emergency"

"search & rescue mission under way despite landing safely some passengers jumped out in flight"

"super heros flew in and climbed onboard the aircraft and used their ice cool breath to extinguish fire"

"cabin crew members smoked joints"

"Flybe are being sued as the emergency slides were nothing like those experienced in the park at the pub on a sunday"

LetsFlyAway
1st Jun 2012, 13:47
plummeting :ok:

Flightmech
1st Jun 2012, 13:52
I heard a rumour that aircraft was "wobbly" on takeoff:E:ugh:

Occams Razor
1st Jun 2012, 14:57
Neither article links work for me, though that's just as well, I'm annoyed just by reading the quotes on this thread.

What absolute utter tripe.

Fairdealfrank
1st Jun 2012, 16:05
Sloppy journalism, lazy sub-editing! It's par for the course these days.

MKY661
1st Jun 2012, 19:26
Looks like Flybe have had a bad week. First the incident at Isle Of Man and now this. Good thing though to see that there wern't any major problems and that everyone was OK.

JAR
1st Jun 2012, 19:38
Can't see either link - when did this occur?

Richard Taylor
1st Jun 2012, 19:40
The Daily Record - I think i'll stop right there...:}

JAR
1st Jun 2012, 20:07
Not this week then?!

anne747380
2nd Jun 2012, 03:36
Incident: Flybe E190 near Birmingham on May 31st 2012, smoke indication (http://avherald.com/h?article=4507551c&opt=0)

farci
2nd Jun 2012, 07:34
The Daily Record has now withdrawn the article from its website and replaced it with a bland message (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2012/06/01/flight-passenger-terror-as-cockpit-blaze-forces-glasgow-bound-plane-to-make-emergency-landing-86908-23881832/) but not an apology or correction ...

Burpbot
3rd Jun 2012, 20:21
Sorry this page has been removed as the article was found to contain no truth!!!

I hope Flybe take them to court! It's about time someone stood up to the lies newspapers spout!

Ernest Lanc's
3rd Jun 2012, 21:03
Most of the web links have gone..Airline Flybe say there was no fire on aborted flight bound for Scotland - The Daily Record (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2012/06/02/airline-flybe-say-there-was-no-fire-on-aborted-flight-bound-for-scotland-86908-23883084/)

Is this nearer the mark?.

frequentflyer2
3rd Jun 2012, 21:30
Posted by a passenger on Aviation Herald:

I was on this flight and I can assure you there was smoke in the cabin.
I can also assure you that the reports,whilst exaggerated as to screaming etc, were not exaggerated with regards to cabin crew, who looked extremely scared and did very little to assure passengers.

The Pilot was visibly shaking when she addressed the passengers on landing.

I am a very regular flier and I can assure you this situation was not best handled by the airline at all! Information was lacking during the flight and quite frankly wrong in the airport. (wrong gate information, signs up at the gate directing us to another gate and finally an entirely different gate allocated).

I will not be flying with flybe again

Didn't a similar incident happen on an EMB 195 flying between MAN and BHD several years ago. It had to land in the IOM with an emergency evac - but perhaps I'm wrong.

JimNich
4th Jun 2012, 08:04
Aaaaah, isn't ignorance just pure bliss!

frequentflyer2
4th Jun 2012, 12:50
Aaaaah, isn't ignorance just pure bliss!

What does this mean? I simply posted a passenger's description of what happened. The passenger concedes reports of travellers screaming were exaggerated; says the cabin crew were alarmed - they are responsible for the safety of everyone who's paid to travel on the aircraft - and said the pilot obviously found the situation stressful which is very understandable. I also said I seemed to remember something similar happening on a Flybe 195 travelling from Manchester to BHD.

Here's one part of the Aviation Herald's report into that incident:

When the airplane climbed through FL240 both pilots smelled a sulphurous burning odour similiar to a match being lit leading the flight crew to believe a passenger might be smoking in the forward lavatory. Cabin crew was contacted however found no-one in the lavatory. Cabin crew reported haze was visible at the rear of the cabin and some smell was noticeable in the cabin.

Sounds to me like there were some similarities, so how did my comment represent ignorance? I've no idea what happened on the flight from BHX to GLA. I was simply trying to contribute to the discussion.

PT6Driver
4th Jun 2012, 22:27
FF2
The Av herald article also states that the AAIB are aware of the non reportable event. Let me assure you that if there had been fumes in the cabin as per the iom event then that would have been taken very seriously by the AAIB.
The alleged pax report is full of holes and like the record article which started the ball rolling is a figment of someone's imagination. Likewise your attempt to link the to events is in the same vein.

With any luck Flybe take the record to cort and win.

JimNich
5th Jun 2012, 08:00
FF2

Steady on old chap, I was referring to the passenger's comments not your report of it. :)

smith
5th Jun 2012, 08:44
The article also forgot to mention

"the pilot's were hailed as heroes"

and

"passenger's were reimbursed with a £5 food and beverage voucher which could barely get them a bottle of water and a snickers".