PDA

View Full Version : Who will hire you with a fresh CPL (not ATPL)

Mase_00_7
1st Jun 2012, 07:35
Hi guys,

I bummed out on the Flybe assessment yesterday due to my brain freezing up whilst doing my numeracy test :ugh:

Anyway, I'm just thinking of other routes into aviation and wondered who would hire a chap with just a CPL?

I have been looking at doing PPL + night rating and spending time flying in America to build my hours, then doing CPL (with ATPL exams) and then IR.

Does this sound like a reasonable way to obtain the licenses or should I just go for the full TPL, and who would hire me afterwards. I'm not looking to Join BA or Emirates, just to fly and make a decent enough living :)

Fostex
1st Jun 2012, 08:31
Realistically you are only going to get a job with just a CPL if you have an FI qualification and you aren't going to get paid much. It is however a good step between CPL and ME/IR if circumstances prevent you continuing your training immediately.

redsnail
1st Jun 2012, 08:46
The path you have described, CPL+IR+ ATPL subjects is what you do any way.
You don't get an ATPL until you have a minimum of 1,500 hours (and a few other requirements).
Do not get suckered into thinking the "frozen" ATPL is any way different or special. It's not. It doesn't exist, it's just short hand for CPL+IR+ATPL subjects.
You don't "need" the MCC unless you want to work in a multi crew environment.

FlyingStone
1st Jun 2012, 10:29
I still wonder why people do CPL before IR... CPL requires 200 hours of flight time , which can include IR training. If you're planning to do multi-engine training, you can also do it before going for CPL, since it shortens the hour building and reduces the cost. Of course, you still need the 100 PIC hours in order to apply for CPL skill test.

EK4457
1st Jun 2012, 14:47
I don't think it really matters which way round you do the CPL and IR for the 200 hour requirement.

Remember, the hours requirement is only for the licence issue. You can start the CPL course and do the test without it. Just make sure you have 200 hours when you send it off to the Campain Against Aviation.

You could still do the ME-IR after you do the CPL skills test. Apply for the CPL after completing the IR and those IR hours count towards your 200 required.

It also makes naff all difference to the 100 hour P1 building as your training is PUT.

Swings and roundabouts?

Waiting for a smater person to tell me I'm wrong......

Mase_00_7
1st Jun 2012, 18:26
Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses.

Redsnail - Now you mention it, that is just the fATPL isn't it! Further reading suggests that you could either take the ATPL ground exams or the CPL ground exams... Is that true and if so, why would anyone take the CPL exams over the ATPL?

What would be the best order to get the licenses in then to make best use of my time and money?

PPL > Night Rating > IR (multi or single?) > Hour Building > CPL

At what point on this timeline would the ATPL exams fit in? Before or after the CPL?

zondaracer
1st Jun 2012, 19:21
ATPL exams must be finished before the CPL and IR. You can do the IR without the ATPL exams if you just do the IR exams.

The people who do CPL exams instead of ATPL exams are those who do not plan on flying a multi crew airplane, so those who plan on doing aerial work or instructing only. If you do the CPL exams and later wish to fly a multi-pilot airplane, then you will have to take the ATPL exams, so most just do the ATPL exams and get them out of the way so that they don't have to take more exams than necessary.

redsnail
1st Jun 2012, 20:51
If you're in Europe, don't bother with the CPL exams, unless you plan to do purely VFR flying, it's a waste of time.
Vast majority crack on with the ATPL exams which get the theory done for the IR and the CPL/ATPL.
Head over to LASORS/CAA for more accurate info.
You can't do the CPL flight test until you have passed the ATPL theory (if you're going that route). Big tip! Watch the time expiry!!

Always always always go to the source document/authority for the correct info.

In your time line, the ATPL subjects would be done before your CPL.

ZuluZuluAlpha
2nd Jun 2012, 00:06
Silly question but how would you go about proving that you've taken the ATPL exams to an FTO or something before starting the CPL or IR?:confused:

zondaracer
2nd Jun 2012, 08:07
You get piece of paper from the authorities that show your passes. The authorities also keep your scores on record.

zondaracer
2nd Jun 2012, 21:46
In Europe you can be an instructor with a PPL if you meet certain hour requirements and have the CPL or ATPL theory exams completed.

Also, in Europe, the CPL without an IR doesn't have a 50NM for hire restriction.

Ph1l
6th Jul 2012, 10:18
Interesting thread...does anyone know how it might work with the expiry on the ATPL exams?

I think it was 2 years or you need to retake them? So how does that work if you do all 14, get the CPL, but then don't go for the IR for a couple of years or so. Does that still expire and you have to do them all again? Just the IR part?

In that situation would I be better off doing CPL exam and not ATPL, just doing ATPL if i decide to add the IR?

truckflyer
6th Jul 2012, 11:24
READ LASORS!!!!
It is all written there!

18 months to complete all 14 exams.
36 months to complete CPL & IR from last exam pass!

If you don't complete your IR in this time, you do it all over again!

Spend some time reading the Lasors, ALL is written there, the answers for any questions you might have!

Ph1l
6th Jul 2012, 11:41
Was just a quick question, thats what the forums for!

Its not something I'm ready to do yet and may not at all, when i look properly I will indeed read Lasors.

Thanks for your answer, just what I wanted to know.