PDA

View Full Version : Something to make you sleep better

Rollingthunder
31st May 2012, 13:11
on the way to SIN

Singapore police warned yesterday that members of a Chinese crime syndicate were believed to be stealing money from the bags of passengers while they slept on flights to and from the country.

Eighteen reports about in-flight thefts have been filed so far this year, up from only one in 2011, said Assistant Commissioner of Police Sam Tee, head of the airport police division.

"Investigations revealed that some of the thieves are suspected to be syndicate members from China working in groups of three to four individuals per flight," Tee said.

Advertisement: Story continues below

"They would strike during boarding operations, or in-flight when passengers are asleep or when using the toilets.

"Their goal is to steal cash which has been kept by passengers inside their travel or laptop bags stowed in the overhead compartments of the aircraft."

Tee said the thefts were confined to some carriers on regional flights.

Last week Chinese national Fu Xinping was jailed for four weeks for stealing $US800 ($A815) and HK$3000 ($A393) from a fellow Chinese national's bag on a Hong Kong-bound Singapore Airlines flight in April, local media reported.

Singapore Airlines declined to reveal the number of thefts on its flights recently but said cabin crew had been advised to remain vigilant.

rgsaero
3rd Jun 2012, 07:42
Fools and their money are easily parted!

Anyone who leaves money, cards or jewellery in unattended bags (and in that I include bags in lockers while asleep) is crackers! What's wrong with the good old-fashioned money belt, worn inside fastened clothing?

sea oxen
10th Jun 2012, 16:16
rgsaero

Not really practical if you are carrying three or four sets of currency (particularly low-denomination notes because it's a bugger breaking the big notes from ATMs for taxis and the like). The same applies to the plethora of credit cards from your origin and destination.

I suppose I could use my charger* but it sets off the metal detectors :}

What do the other SLFers do?

SO
* Have you read Papillon yet?

FlyingGoggles
10th Jun 2012, 16:52
I carry English and local currency in two different purses, in two different locations, and have a bag small enough to go under the seat in front. That being said, I usually travel with someone else who will keep an eye on my bag if I need to use the toilets.

rgsaero
11th Jun 2012, 18:04
Sea oxen - it's entirely practical! I use a "GO Design" money belt/pouch bought from Selfridges for less than £20 - I'm sure they are available elsewhere. It happily carries up to $NZ5000, driving licence, three cards, and $HK for a night stop plus UK notes. Worn just above the trouser belt line under the shirt it's no bother at all. There are a number of spare pockets which I've never got round to using.