PDA

View Full Version : It could be like this at Emirates

new tomcat
30th May 2012, 05:45
Delta just got a new contract. It is industry leading in so many ways but notice that our ammendable date is not until 6 months from now.
Also notice how mangement talks to its assests otherwise known as employees. What would it take for EK management to talk to instead of lecturing its employees?

Subject: A letter from DAL CEO, Mr. Anderson....

May 22, 2012

To: Delta Colleagues Worldwide

Subject: Progress On Our Journey

Delta is making significant progress on our journey toward a sustainable business model with solid financial returns. We are putting distance between us and our competitors by doing business differently – all while ensuring we maintain the core focus on running a great operation, always taking care of Delta people, providing exceptional customer service and delivering value for our shareholders.

Delta has a strong track record of treating employees fairly, and we remain committed to listening and responding to your feedback. To that end, we are announcing two modifications to our pay strategy that will both respond to employee feedback and help set the standard for pay in our industry going forward:
· On 1 January 2013, all U.S.-based noncontract merit and scale employees will receive an increase in base pay that will be designed both to recognize the upcoming change in the profit sharing program (see below) and to accelerate the planned 2013 pay increase, which would have normally been provided on 1 July 2013. This will be in addition to the 1 July 2012 pay increase. Look for more details on the January pay increase as well as adjustments for international employees in the coming weeks.
· Starting in 2013, we are adjusting our profit sharing formula to pay 10% rather than 15% on the first $2.5 billion of profits. We will continue to pay 20% on all profits over $2.5 billion. Profit sharing for 2012, which will be paid on Valentine’s Day in 2013, remains on the current formula. Our pilots will have the same modification to the profit sharing program.

Through the recent employee survey and other means, you’ve let us know that, when it comes to your earnings, you would like to have more in your paycheck and less at risk through profit sharing. These changes respond to your feedback by folding a portion of profit sharing into your base pay to provide additional income each month. Because we are making steady progress on our journey together, we felt this was the time to build in more certainty for you as we share in our success together. Delta people earned approximately $60 million in Shared Rewards throughout 2011 and payout accruals totaling approximately $22 million for this year.

We’ve talked a lot about the steps we’re taking to continue improving the products and services we offer customers, to retire less efficient aircraft and maintain capacity discipline by continuing to right-size our fleet and network to match customer demand. As part of our work with the Delta pilots, we are making a major strategic shift in our mainline fleet – once again leading the industry. It is time to complete the dramatic reduction of 50-seat RJs and significantly increase and upgrade our mainline fleet.

First, we’ve reached an agreement in principle with Southwest Airlines and Boeing – to lease 88 Boeing 717 aircraft for the mainline that will replace inefficient 50-seat RJs. The Boeing 717 aircraft will be extensively refurbished, with new seats, galleys, in-flight Wi-Fi and cabin upgrades. Once refurbished, the aircraft will seat 110 passengers with 12 first class seats, 15 Economy Comfort seats and 83 economy seats. These aircraft will give our high value customers even more opportunities to upgrade to first class and Economy Comfort seats, extending our industry leading position as the U.S. airline with the most first class seats.

Second, Delta will increase the two-class 76 seat regional jet fleet by 70 airplanes, which will increase our total large RJ fleet from 255 to 325.

One of the keys to Delta’s success in recent years has been our collective ability to work harder and smarter for our customers and for Delta’s long-term success. Our pilots will contribute additional productivity enhancements to help us continue to manage our costs effectively. These productivity enhancements combined with the ability to restructure our domestic network, and retire inefficient 50-seat aircraft, add 717s and 76 seaters, provide significant value to Delta to cover the costs of our employee investments. We have incredible momentum thanks to your hard work. Let’s continue to stay focused on delivering a reliable operation and legendary service to every customer, everyday.

Thanks for all you do.

The CEO of a world class airline is talking to his employees. Treating us fairly, asking for input not dictating terms, listening. What a concept!
If only Emirates could learn from this and more importantly act like this.
Not only is Richard acting like an adult he is paying us, his most important assests handsomely. Two unique concepts in the airline industry. Will Emirates ever learn?

cerbus
30th May 2012, 06:04
NO Emirates will never learn! They will just dictate and continue to steal from us. At the same time working us like slaves.
Hello Tomorrow, will it ever come.

vfenext
30th May 2012, 06:50
The CEO treating you like human beings,asking for input and listening. Just before he furloughs you for the third time. Get a life!

CaptainProp
30th May 2012, 07:29
Yea, but that wasn't really the point here.... The point is that you can run a business and still communicate with your employees and treat them like adults.

Easy Ryder
30th May 2012, 08:09
Cerbus,

Although I understand where your coming from, slaves we are not.

Slaves are those poor b*stards in blue uniforms building this city.

Gulfstreamaviator
30th May 2012, 08:21
seriously, it will never be "LIKE THIS".....

I lknow there is an airline in Abu, but I can not remember its name.....

glf

cerbus
30th May 2012, 08:23
I will be the 1st to agree that we are world's better than the slaves in the Blue uniforms. But when you compare our industry and what we do compared to what other airlines do we are the personification of slave labour for international pilots. Factored Flight time, only paid for scheduled flights, 90 plus hard flying hours, checking in an hour before the flight but showing up almost two hours before the flight and on and on.
We all know most of you LCC and ****e British Charter pilots did all that back home but the good international airlines don't do that including Delta I am sure.
I have a life Next, I know what is out there. Don't bury your head in the sand and think you have it good for an international pilot.
Who has been laid off 3 times and what is a CEO suppose to do if they have too many pilots or employees?

Al Murdoch
30th May 2012, 12:27
The legions of "****e" American pilots that would like to join Emirates seem to go against that argument.
Also, there are plenty of those ****e British Charter pilots who are quite happy to remain where they are and wouldn't touch Emirates with a barge pole.

paulsalem
30th May 2012, 13:04
DAL did NOT get a new contract. There is a temporary agreement between the union and the company, however the membership still must vote to approve it before it is binding. Whether it will be approved or not is anyone's guess.

Go over to Flightinfo and see how happy DAL guys are and learn how many are furloughed due to losses.

Strickontheice
30th May 2012, 13:41
Cerbus, Then go work or Delta, Emirates did not force you to apply, 3 months notice and you can be enjoying the great life at Delta. As or me I'm quite happy here at Emirates. Never have to worry about a paycheck arriving on time, no bills, don't have to drive to work, new planes with serviceable parts attached, hot meals on board not box lunch, I look forward to your exit party in 3 months

fatbus
30th May 2012, 14:02
Y'all (sp) have fun back at Delta, you show EK who's boss. You won't be missed !

vfenext
30th May 2012, 14:06
This is a BS thread and a non story. Everyone knows the US airlines will shaft you for a dime and lie to your face while they steal your pension. Cerbus, take a hike.

Wizofoz
30th May 2012, 17:44
Seems not everyone thinks so highly of Delta-

Bail Out Of Delta Before The Stock Crashes - Seeking Alpha (http://seekingalpha.com/article/622701-bail-out-of-delta-before-the-stock-crashes)

Aerodmb
30th May 2012, 18:23
First of all, I don't recommend going to flight info as its not positive in any shape or form...most have migrated to more civilized pastures. Take a guess where.

Delta is a solid airline for us U.S. folks, and time will tell how the pilot group thinks of this TA. Stay tuned!

Jetaim
1st Jun 2012, 19:18
May be you are color blind ? Didn't you notice you have a blue uniform too. Just to make sure just try to mention the word "union" or "strike" or "worker rights" and see where you will end up. Sorry mate ..slave you are.

nolimitholdem
1st Jun 2012, 20:15
In the end everyone feels the need to justify their existence at either Delta, Emirates, or wherever. That comment about shafting you for a dime while they steal your pension could be any airline management anywhere. Except at EK, they shaft you for a 600 million dollar profit.

As for Stickontheice, a whore with a car, paid-for accommodation, and steady pay for her services, is still a whore. I look forward to your comments when you've worked for EK for more than three months.

LHR Rain
3rd Jun 2012, 08:17
Well put. Which is the better description of an EK pilot, slave or whore or both? One thing for sure I am one tired whore or slave with only 9 days off this month.

paulsalem
3rd Jun 2012, 08:21
Slaves can quit their jobs. They are often beaten, raped, starved and murdered. I understand a lot of you hate working at Emirates and have already put in your letters of resignation, or are actively looking for work elsewhere. However I think the word slave my be rather harsh, in respect for actual slaves all around the world.

The Dominican
3rd Jun 2012, 10:12
Aviation is a sad business when we are praising Dick Anderson:ugh:

ArkPilot
3rd Jun 2012, 13:53
First, it's a tentative agreement that will probably be voted in. Delta pilots have NEVER rejected a TA. Check back the first week in July after the vote count. My guess is 60% in favor.

Second, Delta has no pilots currently on furlough.

Third, yes, they went through bankruptcy and terminated their pilot pension plans. Still a lot of bitter feelings (rightfully so) from those affected.

Fourth, if your from the US, a legacy carrier job is still the the best thing going IMHO. Just plan on taking care of your own retirement.;)

Swan Man
6th Jun 2012, 05:26
With the salary you will be making and the cost of living in the states you should have no problem providing for your retirement as long as you don't do the classic pilot thing and have 3 Ex-Wives.

pilotday
6th Jun 2012, 05:59
Aviation is a sad business when we are praising Dick Anderson

I think the Book of Proverbs says something about "when your enemy puts his arm around you, watch out!"

TheyCallMeTrinity
8th Jun 2012, 07:23
I love EK, it's the greatest job ever! Who would want to go back to the States or Europe?! That's just crazy talk. :ugh:

Alconguin Crusader
8th Jun 2012, 12:30
Someone is crazy alright. Seems that 900 hours a year flying has effected your logical thinking process.

jumbocpt
11th Jun 2012, 05:46
Swan Man
You forgot to mention the boat, the plane, the Harley and the ski condo in Vail.

jumbocpt

pilotday
11th Jun 2012, 09:01
you mean my ex-wife's new boat and harley my alimony and child support payments go towards for her new unemployed boyfriend?

:ugh:

fliion
11th Jun 2012, 17:24
Affected - junior

JuniorMan
17th Jun 2012, 04:55
As a pilot at a US legacy I can assure you that conditions here are nothing short of horrendous.

ArkPilot
17th Jun 2012, 05:03
Junior Man,

No offense, but unless you have seen both sides you CANNOT make that statement!:cool:

fliion
17th Jun 2012, 11:02
Ark

Are you saying that no pilot has objectivity to say their conditions are less than perfect. He made no reference to overseas airlines - just his own lot in life - horrendous.

f

ArkPilot
17th Jun 2012, 20:46
Negative, he can refer to his own lot all he wants. It's a perceptual thing!

If he is with a legacy carrier in the US, no matter how "horrendous" things seem, there are things he takes for granted that are lacking overseas, IMHO.

etops777
17th Jun 2012, 23:04
Ark pilot

Totally agreed.

170to5
18th Jun 2012, 09:01
...and on the other side of the coin, there are things that overseas pilots take for granted that are SERIOUSLY lacking in home markets. Usually all of the things that were lacking when they moved away! Like pensions and financial security...which is never to be underestimated.