PDA

View Full Version : Queensland rescue AW139 forced landing

Captain Catastrophy
29th May 2012, 13:37
Just heard about this

Emergency landing in Cooroy | Sunshine Coast News (http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2012/05/30/chopper-forced-to-land-on-sports-field/)

A FEMALE patient in a life-threatening condition has been rushed into surgery after pilots of a rescue helicopter were forced to make an emergency landing in Cooroy.

The Emergency Management Queensland helicopter experienced a major hydraulic failure while transferring the woman from Bundaberg Hospital to the Royal Brisbane Hospital early yesterday morning.

Pilots used night-vision goggles to safely land the chopper on a sports field at Cooroy at 1am, where the patient was taken by ambulance to an AGL Action Rescue Helicopter and airlifted to Brisbane.

Another six people were on board the chopper.

A Department of Community Safety spokesman said the crew

initially reported that they would land at Archerfield Airport, although the landing was revised to the Sunshine Coast.

"However, in accordance with the aircraft emergency procedures, as the problem continued a decision was made to make a precaution-ary landing at the Cooroy foot-ball oval," the spokesman said.

Pilot Mark Kempton, who has 25 years' flying experience, told media that he tried to make it to Maroochydore Airport but the helicopter became unstable and he was forced to land on Cooroy.

He said the chopper landed safely and no-one was injured.

Anyone know anytihng more? News reports are a bit sketchy - hydraulics was mentioned.

spinwing
29th May 2012, 22:32
Mmmm ....

Probably a VERY good crew decision ... :D

OvertHawk
30th May 2012, 07:35
It's big and heavy and won't work without hydraulics - put it on the ground and talk about it afterwards.

Well done crew! :D

Captain Catastrophy
31st May 2012, 02:40
Absolutely - but does anyone have any idea what the problem was? anything other 139 drivers might be interested in?

Mike C
31st May 2012, 07:48
Dear Captain Cat

"Anything other 139 drivers might be interested in"

Although it does not concern the above example, it shows how things can happen.

Hit a bird the other day.
It sheared off a #1 hydraulic line at the TR gearbox.
It also sheared off the electrical cable to the #2 hydraulic system pressure sensor at the TR gearbox.
An interesting hydraulic synoptic page!!!!!

Be prepared.

Mike C

Aser
31st May 2012, 10:26
Thanks for sharing Mike, any chance of a picture?
Regards
Aser

heliski22
1st Jun 2012, 13:06
A few of us worked through Mike C's problem today and we reckon...

#1 system failure with full range of attendant CAS messages and lots of scary yellow bits on the #1 side of the Synotic page. CAS would also have had a #2 SERVO message and some even more scary (because they were on the #2 side) yellow bits on the synoptic page, but only those indicating a servo failure as the system doesn't tell which servo is the problem and lights them all up.

Key clues to imminently staying alive would have been the #2 Pressure and Temp were still normal, #2 Reservoir Level was still full, #2 system SOVs still open and, most importantly, it was still flying.

Does that sound close?

Mike C
1st Jun 2012, 15:44
Yes, you got it right.
1 in a 1000 chance, I guess!
Return line is alloy, press line is steel. Alloy was the broken line, steel was bent.
If it had taken out #2 line(close by) as well, I would really hope the SOV would have closed as it should.
Mick.

heliski22
1st Jun 2012, 15:51
Always interesting to work through these things - hope I don't ever have to for real!

Geoffersincornwall
1st Jun 2012, 16:07
As I always say in the briefings, the helicopter has not read the RFM and it doesn't know that it's not supposed to fail like that!! I wish I had a fiver for every incident I've experienced that involved a failure that wasn't in the book. What do we learn? We learn that knowing your systems is very handy and that we should always be prepared for the unexpected.

G.

Aser
1st Jun 2012, 19:55
The pic. :eek:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/524983_10150916032044381_1612232406_n.jpg

Regards
Aser

Trojan1981
2nd Jun 2012, 00:50
:ooh:
Well done to the crew. Good thread :ok:

heli-cal
2nd Jun 2012, 16:49
^^^ Brilliant! :ok: :D