PDA

View Full Version : Update Mode S/ELT Requirments

bvandedr
29th May 2012, 11:14
Dear all,

I have just started to fly in Europe (vs. the US) and would like an update from a practical standpoint on the Mode S requirment.

Can I fly VFR in France/Netherlands/Belgium with just a Mode C? As I understand it, this can only be done in Uncontrolled airspace? From practical experience I have had no issues flying through controlled CTRs and TMAs with just my Mode C in Belgium. However how does this work for France?

Thanks for the help....

achimha
29th May 2012, 13:59
Mode S is mandatory where a transponder is mandatory. In reality, ATC won't care as long as they get a Mode C readout. If you get ramp-checked, the fine could be substantial.

peterh337
29th May 2012, 14:07
Is there an easy "map" showing where Mode S is mandatory for VFR?

UK, OCAS, it isn't.

I am preparing a "VFR in Europe" presentation and would like something more useful than just referring to the AIP :)

dublinpilot
29th May 2012, 15:35
No easy map that I know of!

bvandedr,

Information correct as of last summer:
France no problem mode C only.

Netherlands:
Not allowed to use mode C at all (though in practice ATC do ask you to turn it on).
Without mode S, you must remain not above 1200ft and outside any controlled/restricted airspace and outside the Amsterdam North Sea Area (basically everywhere more than 1/2 mile off the coast).

Belgium:
Must remain outside controlled/restricted/militiary airspace without mode S.

I hope that's of help.

Unfortunately in this regard Europe is not one country, and each country has different rules.

achimha
29th May 2012, 16:32
Information correct as of last summer:
France no problem mode C only.

The official word (https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/dossier%5Caicfrancea%5CAIC_A_2010_16_EN.pdf) from France is this:

It is also recalled that, in accordance to article 3.2.2.2 of the annex from modified June 21 (2001) arrêté, all IFR aircraft have to be
fitted with a mode S ELS transponder since March 31, 2007.
For VFR flights, mode S transponders will be mandatory in 2011 only for new Certificate of Airworthiness. Planning is that they
become mandatory for entering published area by 2014 (arrêté project on going).

dublinpilot
29th May 2012, 17:03
Good point. He could be flying a new aircraft and therefore need mode s.