PDA

View Full Version : Airpark demand

SpaceFace
29th May 2012, 04:34
Hi all,
I know this has been discussed before, but is there any demand for airparks in Oz these days? What if one was located an hours drive from Sydney? Existing airparks are in the stix, poorly maintained, or ridiculously expensive. Would anyone actually choose to live in an airpark in a good location?

falconx
29th May 2012, 11:13
Yes quite simple whitsundays aviation village

BronteExperimental
29th May 2012, 11:23
How many people actually living there now? Loveley place but only 4-5 completed homes and dozens of empty lots last time I visited.

Ultralights
29th May 2012, 11:23
Schofields, Wollongong, and even the pre flattened land at Bankstown would be prime candidates for additional airpark development.
Schofields will soon be housing anyway, but the old runways still exist, why not have the best of both worlds.. but that would require a council with vision. sadly something lacking in Australia.

sprocket check
30th May 2012, 08:04
Don't like your chances in the Sydney basin... Although maybe oaks? Though that's not really a GOOD location... North? South? 1 hour can get you to Cooranbong if you can avoid the coppers at stealth, south maybe Kiama? There's a bit of money down south ex Eastern Suburbs refugees ....

Anyway, it's your first post under this alias so cough up, what d'ya know?

Sc

Howard Hughes
30th May 2012, 08:52
I'd be intrested if it was in Sydney or the South Coast.

Probably couldn't afford the landing and parking fees to get to work though...;)

baswell
30th May 2012, 09:47
The Whitsundays one is rather pricey, which probably limits appeal.

The Temora air park seems to be going quite well; not bad for a small country town.

I'd love to see one created here at Gawler. If the housing block prices would be the same as the average in the area, I reckon it would sell like hot cakes.

T28D
30th May 2012, 10:24
YSEN is doing very well,private airpark

BoundaryLayer
31st May 2012, 08:41
Belmont (Aeropelican) would be a fantastic location - if it was going to operate again (what are the chances of that? :ugh:), plenty of room for houses and great spot right next to the lake and close to beach.

Digaf
31st May 2012, 12:18
Mount Beauty Airpark. Its probably not a good example for being close to major cities, but a lovely place - close to the alps for the snow season, if you dont mind the cold. Still in the approval stages I think.

mountbeautyairpark.com.au for those interested

Clearedtoreenter
31st May 2012, 17:06
Wedderburn is close to Sydney and seems to be a bit like an air park. Lots of flash hangars with nice balconies etc,. shared taxi and roadways. Beaut runway complex. Although noone is allowed to actually reside there.
NSW Sport Aircraft Club - Wedderburn (http://www.wedderburnairstrip.com.au)

truthinbeer
3rd Jun 2012, 05:43
Maybe the reference is to Wanervale Aerodrome (YWVA). The ground-lease is until 2020 (or 21?), perhaps Mirvac have seen the light?

bushpig
3rd Jun 2012, 05:49
Moruya. Great bit of coastline. Good atmosphere around the airport. I believe an airpark is in the Eurobodalla Shire Council's projected plans. The area has a lot going for it. I don't have any vested interest and am actually in Queensland but probably not for much longer.

nomorecatering
3rd Jun 2012, 08:28
Hoxton Park would have made a great airpark. Still would, last time I drove past nothing had been built there.

Bevan666
3rd Jun 2012, 09:15
One is being launched at Rylstone Aerodrome, near Mudgee too. See Rylstone Aerodrome | Australia's Premier Airpark and Avaition Community (http://rylstoneaerodrome.com.au/) for more info.

Frank Arouet
3rd Jun 2012, 09:40
Every airpark I've researched won't tell you how much. You have to enquire! Then after the bull$hit you find you can't afford a Council inspired con in a place with no work or financial interest. Mt Beauty is not finalised, (you are buying off the plan), Narromine and Temora have price problems for bank loans and the best option, in my opinion, is to find somewhere you like then ask to lease some land adjacent. You won't need sewerage, power, or garbage service, and, from what I'm told, there are environmental incentives to live like a "hippy". I don't mind that.

I do like Rylestone, I got married there and I was stung by a hornet at Grattai where my folks lived when I was 5 years old. (funny how you remember things like that, oh! and polo balls.

Someone may like to PM me and sell me a block away from the "blockies"?

Ultralights
3rd Jun 2012, 11:42
Hoxton Park is long gone, within hours of the last aircraft leaving, the runway was destroyed. Absolute disgrace, now all those residents against the airport now have a nice quiet truck depot, the biggest depot in the Sydney basin, operating 24 hrs a day, with thousands of trucks coming and going, that has replaced it.

Al E. Vator
3rd Jun 2012, 23:04
Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane could all do with an airpark.

Melbourne needs one in the East or SE, Sydney in the North and Brisbane could do with one in the South or SW. Problem is of course distance and councils.

Everybody wants to be close to the city but the land is expensive and residents disapproving. Cheaper land further out is usually afflicted by transportation difficulties and lack of nearby amenities. Getting something approved as an airport takes the worlds most doggedly determined individual - councils seem to view the term as being akin to nuclear reactor and toxic waste dump.

But it can be done - either from scratch or at an existing airfield.

From Scratch: Buy some rural land as close as possible to railway lines and freeways etc and continue to run it as a farm etc but put up a couple of 'sheds'. The sheds house an aircraft or two or three. Orient landing strips away fro neighbors houses and don't do circuits there. After some time gradually formalize the nature of the property legally and eventually slip in the term airpark or even 'airstrip' or landing field. This is ideal for areas between Beaudesert and Brisbane, say Leppington SW of Sydney and fill-in areas such as the west or east of Cranbourne SE of Melbourne. This is a long process though. Slightly further away however this is already being done. Lethbridge west of Melbourne I believe already has expansion approval and it would be relatively easy to do the same on private land at say Lilydale or Coldstream as there is a big residential component nearby anyhow.

Existing Airfield: This has to be the way to go. Airports like Point Cook, Avalon lend themselves to such concepts. Even (at a stretch) the eastern side of Essendon Airport has a ton of vacant land off Lebanon St and Arvon Rd that would be perfect (ah, the serenity) if Mr Fox could be so persuaded. Other airfields like Parafield and Caboolture also have vacant perimeters that would be suitable, just takes a bit of persuasion and political savvy. This is far and away the easier option as the infrastructure is already in place and the airports are closer to transportation links and the amenity of the big cities.

And every time silly Kelvin Thompson opens his mouth complaining on behalf of neighbors about airport noise you can say that you are a neighbor and very much in favor of the noise!

Wouldn't mind having a crack at this myself!

Ovation
4th Jun 2012, 01:22
Other airfields like Parafield and Caboolture also have vacant perimeters that would be suitable, just takes a bit of persuasion and political savvy.

The city GA airports are too interested in developing shopping malls and industrial estates to bother about on-site airpark residential use. They would quietly hope that GA would disappear of the face of the earth and convert what's not been resumed to residential, in which case they would make 10-20 times what they invested.

As far as Parafield is concerned, a huge tract of land in the triangle of Rwy 03 and 08 has been rezoned as Commercial/Industrial that on current valuations would, on land sales alone, net the owners 30-40M after subdivision costs. This all came about following the resumption of land at the S boundary for the new road.

It's also rumored that Lindsay Fox made a killing out of the land acquired for the Freeway upgrade, and anyone who's been to YMEN lately will see just how much the landside development has accelerated, and none of it is airpark.

Al E. Vator
8th Jun 2012, 01:42
Essendon is a prime example of how well integrated commercial development can rejuvenate an otherwise lackluster airport. It looks fantastic now and puts crappy Tullamarine to shame. Provided the non-aviation development doesn't squeeze out financially tenuous aircraft operations then I don't have a problem with it.

If some residential component could be included on the periphery of underutilized areas of any airport in Australia the that would be a great thing.

The northern part of Point Cook is a great example; currently vacant and rapidly being engulfed by advancing residential development. How about having some of those residences abutting the airfield with hangars etc. Close to town and good sealed runways/facilities etc.

truthinbeer
8th Jun 2012, 02:53
Frank Arouet
I do like Rylestone, I got married there and I was stung by a hornet at Grattai where my folks lived when I was 5 years old. (funny how you remember things like that, oh! and polo balls.

Those hornet stings can be painful, but polo balls sound excruciating. ;)

SpaceFace
8th Jun 2012, 04:24
thx for the replies everyone,

Sprocket Check, i've been researching airparks and whether one would be feasible - i have looked at most of those mentioned here. Cooranbong is down and out so not many opportunities left within 1hr of Sydney. Bankstown land is too expensive so won't happen there. Rylstone is nice spot but in the stix; good weekender though. They all seem to only have 30% take up and there locations seem to be the main problem. If something 1hr from Sydney had land for <$500K it might be viable.

youbuet
9th Jun 2012, 02:17
What sort of money would you be talking for Rylstone airpark or similar ?

haydnc
17th Feb 2014, 06:40
Who of you that live at an airpark are still of working age? Would you suggest most of the residents at Temora, Narromine and Tumut are retired or semi retired?

It appears that most homes located on Australian air parks have a home and a separate hanger. Are their Australian examples where the hanger has been incorporated into the house?
Livingwithyourplane dot com have a lot of plans, I havn't seen any built here though.

kaz3g
17th Feb 2014, 07:31
Hoxton Park is long gone, within hours of the last aircraft leaving, the runway was destroyed. Absolute disgrace, now all those residents against the airport now have a nice quiet truck depot, the biggest depot in the Sydney basin, operating 24 hrs a day, with thousands of trucks coming and going, that has replaced it.

You mean there IS a God?

Kaz

kaz3g
17th Feb 2014, 07:32
Yarrawonga has hangar homes.

Kaz

nomorecatering
17th Feb 2014, 08:28
Here is a selection of some of the videos from airparks around the US.

Unfortunately we couldn't do half of these because, the regulator simply wouldn't allow it, the population is too lazy or adverse to any success and prosperity. Americans celebrate success, Australians criticise it. Even when we do things, it's usually half baked. The Whitsunday airpark seems good on paper but will end up as a hangar/shack collection.

Airport Airpark Homes, Cameron Park O61 Airport, Cameron Park, CA - YouTube

4300 W Earhart Way Chandler, AZ. Stellar Airpark Estates. UNBELIEVABLE! - YouTube

Final Approach Stellar Airpark - YouTube

Mountain Air Country Club, North Carolina - YouTube

HeavensLanding_DVD_11minutes.m4v - YouTube

Ocean Reef Club landing in a Cessna CJ3 - YouTube

Elk River Airport Instructional Video.mov - YouTube

ELK RIVER CLUB - Banner Elk, North Carolina / elkriverclub.com - YouTube

Pine Mountain Lake - Residential Tour - YouTube

Xray Tango
17th Feb 2014, 09:11
Most serious buyers keep well clear of Yarrawonga. There have been a total of 8 hangar's for sale there for approx 5 years. There has been only one sold in the last 8 years. The place is very " well policed " to the point where everyone wants out. If you don't own a trike your really not welcome.( Unless your spending money in the aero shop ) I would suggest there is no other airport around with such a vacancy rate for potential ownership. Yep,, the RA scene has destroyed the desire for ownership there. One poor couple has been trying to bail out of their pristine home/hangar facility for some 4 years. Very reasonably priced as well. Yet a hangar comes on the market in Shepparton and it's snapped up straight away ?

nomorecatering
17th Feb 2014, 09:30
What do you mean well policed?

Flying Binghi
18th Feb 2014, 03:38
Had a looky at the link mentioned byhaydnc. Some nice hanger plans there... Floorplans | Living With Your Plane (http://livingwithyourplane.com/floorplans/)

Jack Ranga
18th Feb 2014, 22:58
Heavens Landing will do me thanks.

VH-XXX
18th Feb 2014, 23:29
Nomorecatering, XT has given many clues but didn't spell it out directly for the readers so I will assist...

What he is no doubt referring to is the airport manager / groundsman / policeman that wears fighter jet overalls, teaches in trikes and runs an aero shop there.

Join the dots from there.

airspace alpha
18th Feb 2014, 23:37
Lethbridge airport seem to have a few blocks on the market at the moment:
Aviation Trader - Commercial / Retail (http://www.aviationtrader.com.au/advert_category/commercial-retail/)

and they are in the middle of constructing a hard surface runway

Jack Ranga
18th Feb 2014, 23:39
I'm not a friend of or associated with the dood at Yarrawaonga that runs the trikes but without knowing us (we had an aerobatic training camp at Yarrawonga) he threw us the keys to his hangar and said help yourselves. Couldn't have been more helpful :ok: The fuel guy was at the airport within 15 mins of calling him, and guess what ;) no call out charge! Yarrawonga has always struck me as pro aviation/airport. If it hasn't taken off as an airpark, more's the pity.

peterc005
19th Feb 2014, 00:55
Any word on the auction of hangar bocks at Lethbridge on 5th April?

My recollection is that the auction was supposed to be held in February.

OZBUSDRIVER
19th Feb 2014, 03:24
Tyabb could easily accommodate an airpark development on the sw end of the aerodrome. Understand two well known identities bought the farms to stop developers getting in and doing what they do best....perfect spot!

nomorecatering
1st Apr 2014, 10:37
Tyabb, Nagambie, Essendon could be done like this.

Stellar Airpark - historical images (http://www.stellarairpark.org/about.htm)

Tinstaafl
1st Apr 2014, 11:41
Caboolture, Caloundra & Redcliffe would be good for airparks. You don't have to have housing on the airport property, just 'through the fence' access from adjoining properties and/or communal taxiways.

Networked Skies
1st Apr 2014, 23:26
I would love to see an airpark around Canberra, probably be best situated between ACT and Yass on the NSW side..... or I'd take a GA airport... wishful thinking I guess.

anthos92
3rd Apr 2014, 14:27
Anyone visited this place lately?

Hangar House (http://www.hangarhouse.com.au)

Nice spot old YMDG.

Old Akro
3rd Apr 2014, 23:45
Tyabb could easily accommodate an airpark development on the sw end of the aerodrome.

Not until its re-zoned from Port Industrial land.

fulmar
4th Apr 2014, 09:50
Lethbridge airport/air park site auction tomorrow(Saturday) at 1pm.

Xray Tango
5th Apr 2014, 21:52
Old Akro, Does sound like your lining up for a re location ? Own hangar house, nice twin parked underneath, couple of nice cars thrown in there as well, perhaps even a roll on the committee ??

peterc005
15th Sep 2014, 12:42
Looks like the Tocumwal Airpark has taken off.

Blocks look large and reasonably priced.

Tocumwal Airpark (http://www.berriganshire.nsw.gov.au/Residents/Airfields.aspx)