PDA

View Full Version : Advance Airlines

Stationair8
28th May 2012, 07:58
In its day it must have been a very interseting little operation running several B200's out to Lord Howe and Norfolk Island from Sydney and Brisbane.

At one time had the highest time B200'S in the world.

Must be a few stories out in Ppruneland to be told.

tail wheel
28th May 2012, 08:06
I think Norfolk Island Airlines had the highest time King Airs in Australia and the world? I think one even cycled out and there was some talk of operating it unpressurised on freight?

Jabawocky
28th May 2012, 10:19
http://www.timetableimages.com/i-df/dr7604a.jpg

ForkTailedDrKiller
28th May 2012, 10:31
I did Toowoomba-Sydney-Toowoomba a couple of times with Advnace back in the 70's. Putting AAV into the rockwall at Sydney put paid to that!

Dr :8

cac_sabre
28th May 2012, 10:46
I think Norfold Island Airlines had the highest time King Airs in Australia and the world?

that was VH-NIA, went to Perth and operated there til mid 90's

OZBUSDRIVER
28th May 2012, 11:44
No...that would be the dog...VH-IBD.

tail wheel
28th May 2012, 12:08
Which ever one it was, I remember seeing the bulges and doublers in the fuselage around the rear pressure bulk head.

Advance Airlines 1974 to 1980, ended with Beech King Air 200 VH-AAV which crashed at Sydney Airport on 21 February 1980, killing all 13 people on board. An interesting outcome:

"A board of inquiry, headed by Sir Sydney Frost, found in 1983 that the accident was caused by the presence of water in the fuel tank, leading to the engine failure, and pilot error. The inquiry recommended that commercial aircraft operating in Australia with more than nine passengers should be operated by two pilots."

Just found this listing (http://www.airlinehistory.co.uk/RestofWorld/Australia/Airlines.asp). Amazing how many air charter and air line operators in Australia's aviation history!

RatsoreA
29th May 2012, 02:02
Does anyone happen to have a full report about AAV? It's not on ATSB...

Horatio Leafblower
29th May 2012, 03:20
Just found this listing. Amazing how many air charter and air line operators in Australia's aviation history!

...not one of the entries I was involved in is accurate, and there are a couple that aren't even listed.

I wonder what their source is? :confused:

Stationair8
30th May 2012, 08:02
Are Advance Airlines and Norfolk Airlines the same company?

Jabwocky , would you have a complete copy of the timetable?

Fantome
30th May 2012, 08:44
The published AAV report ran to nearly 300 pp. Cannot put hand on copy just now. The name of the fella intimately formerly involved with the company escapes for the moment , (he was a chief pilot or ops mgr. .. . Barry?? . . . then joined the CAA or DOT accidents branch. He was a big burly amiable red headed freckled chappy. The report was largely his work, if memory serves right.)

One upshot was the 9 pax plus requirement for headset , as poor Kerry
was using a hand mic as he struggled to identify clean up and look to his options.

He might have made it if he had not taken off with the company's stipulated reduced TO power. The report said that in his file there were instances of slow to identify the failed engine on checks.

(The black patch near the S end of 16/34 was visible for years.)

Start4
6th Sep 2012, 09:08
Isn't it a bit strange that the report is not on the ATSB website?

Kharon
6th Sep 2012, 09:40
Fantome - Barry?? . . . then joined the CAA or DOT accidents branch. He was a big burly amiable red headed freckled chappy. The report was largely his work, if memory serves right.)correct

Barry Seargent, description correct: absolutely first class Man. Mentored by Sammy Dodd.

We grow old, Father William.

Start4
15th Oct 2012, 06:02
The VH-AAV report is now available on the ATSB wesite. Now if I can just track down the board of inquiry report.

The sad thing about reading the accident report is that nothing much has changed.