PDA

View Full Version : B200 VH-KTE 1983 Accident

Stationair8
28th May 2012, 07:53
Anyone in Pprune land got a link to the full accident investigation, only seem to be able to get an abbreviated summary on the the ATSB website.

tail wheel
28th May 2012, 07:57
Have you seen this (http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/1594655)? It may be more informative.

I remember the accident. Ignore the many rumours!

bentleg
28th May 2012, 08:18
Try this (http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/24852/198300051.pdf) from ATSB

Fantome
29th May 2012, 05:04
Pardon me not opening up those files just yet.

Does my memory serve me right that the cause of the fast descent (leading to the subsequent break up ) was not conclusively determined?

VH-XXX
29th May 2012, 06:37
Holy crap!

At about 2144 hours a noise resembling thunder was heard. The night was clear and there was immediate speculation concerning the noise.

There's a lesson there, if you hear thunder, look up, it might be the wings falling off an aircraft.

Scary stuff!

185skywagon
29th May 2012, 07:41
One bloke i know at adavale still has grim memories of that night.

kingRB
29th May 2012, 07:59
interesting and sad read. Undetermined cause of in flight break up, PIC and a couple passengers had an oxy mask on. Dead cockatiels found loose in cabin?

CaptainInsaneO
29th May 2012, 08:19
Very interesting read.

Sad that no cause was determined.

CaptainInsaneO
29th May 2012, 08:31
Sorry KingRB, I didn't read your post before I posted mine - I pretty much said the same thing as you.

In regards to the birds though:

"The birds would not have been capable of forcing their way out of the cardboard carton
in which they were carried. They were either deliberately released from the carton during
flight or freed from the carton by other forces during the inflight breakup."

kingRB
29th May 2012, 08:34
yeah read that, was more pondering the randomness of the birds getting a mention.

Desert Flower
29th May 2012, 11:48
"The birds would not have been capable of forcing their way out of the cardboard carton in which they were carried. They were either deliberately released from the carton during flight or freed from the carton by other forces during the inflight breakup."

I thought it strange that they said the birds probably weren't capable of fluttering more than a few feet. Unless they had their wing feathers clipped, they should have been capable of full flight. I have several of these birds, so know how well they can fly.

DF.

Stationair8
30th May 2012, 07:58
Didn't 60 minutes do a story on the accident?

Mr.Buzzy
30th May 2012, 08:56
There was also a feature on an Australian TV series called "unexplained" ( or similar ) but Google isn't showing any results. I just remember the story and the TV presenter with that creepy husky voice.

Bbzbzbz