PDA

View Full Version : mk2 aircrew kneeboard...again...

jc2065
27th May 2012, 12:07
I know this item has been discussed many times before, but I was hoping you could tell me a bit about the features of the Beaufort mk2 aircrew kneeboard.

I've recently had one come in to my possession and I'm wondering of it's "complete".

So in particular the number and purpose of the white plastic boards inside mounted on the rings, the kind of equipment one would carry in the various pockets, which crews would be issued with it and finally, what's the small velcroed strap for (it's attached to the main leg strap)?

Thanks in advance!

airborne_artist
27th May 2012, 12:35
Does Sir dress to the left or to the right? :}

Tashengurt
27th May 2012, 12:39
"The purpose of the white plastic boards"
Really?

jc2065
27th May 2012, 12:50
Yes really. They aren't like the flight suit kneeboards. These have holes punched in them and are on the rings inside. Do you use them in the same way as those on the flight suit or are they used in conjunction with the clear plastic wallets inside?

And if you must know, to the right.

5 Forward 6 Back
27th May 2012, 12:54
The kneeboard I was issued didn't come with any inserts. It was up to the user to decide whether they wanted some plastic things with pages from checklists/TAPs/whatever, or if they wanted white ones like you'd have in a flying suit kneeboard, or if you just wanted to cram a notepad in there or something.

So, unless you find the original owner of yours, no-one can tell you what he intended to use his white plastic bits for. They weren't given to you with an order that the first insert MUST BE USED for thing X, and the second one MUST BE USED for thing Y, or whatever.

jc2065
27th May 2012, 13:19
Ok thanks for that. Any answers to my other questions?

MG
27th May 2012, 16:24
The little Velcro strap is to attach to the knee board so that the strap won't rotate when you try to tighten it once attached to your leg.

Anything else we can help you with?

jc2065
27th May 2012, 16:33
Brilliant! Thank you, and the last two questions were

1: which crews would this be issued to
2: typical equipment carried in the kneeboard.

Thanks guys.

MG
27th May 2012, 16:47
Answers to your next questions are:
1. Anyone who doesn't have access to a desk in the air.
2. Anything you think of use in the air so that you don't end up saying 'wish I'd brought that with me'. Some put FRCs or the like in there, others just aides memoires, either official or homemade.

jc2065
27th May 2012, 16:51
Ok thanks for your help, I appreciate your patience.

Flypro
27th May 2012, 18:34
jc,

To really appreciate the multifarious uses of this mark of kneeboard you need to equip yourself with a chinagraph.
Perhaps the RAF museum could help you in your search for one.

thing
27th May 2012, 18:55
If it's anything like my kneeboard it gets in the bloody way when trying to hold full into wind aileron in a crosswind landing on the limits. Found that out today.

FWIW I keep approach and airfield plates in mine, plus the nice frequency cards you get with the half mil these days.

Courtney Mil
27th May 2012, 19:17
Goodness. Harsh answers to a simple question.

Anyone want to buy one. I'll even give you instructions.

Pontius Navigator
27th May 2012, 20:20
Found a chinagraph under the bookcase in the Conservatory, as new, can't speak for the red pencil though as it's 20 years old.

oldmansquipper
27th May 2012, 21:12
Speak to the excellent Dr Graham Rood at Farnboro Air Sciences Trust (FAST).. A mine of information on things "Flying Clothing"