PDA

View Full Version : FAA A320 type rating alternatives

PlanetEarth
26th May 2012, 14:25
Hello,

I'm trying to research a bit what my options are for self sponsoring an a320 type rating.
Currently I have all the FAA ATP requirements (1500h etc etc) and about 800 hours turbine time (turboprop, multi-crew)
I also have a JAA license, but I've let it expire as its too expensive to keep it current while I'm working in Asia.
From what I can see, most of the LCC in Asia are mostly A320 fleets (except for Garuda, Lion Air and parts of Jetstar Pacific that I've seen so far), but Cebu, Tiger, Air Asia and the middle cost carriers like Silk Air etc and also parts of the larger airlines like Asiana etc etc all have rather big A320 fleets, so it seems to be the "entry level" multi-jet airplane of choice here. (Europe seems rather dead to me in regards to hiring, which is why I have let my license expire).
I have some friends working in these airlines, and they are the ones who have put me onto the idea of self sponsoring my type rating and then trying to get on with one of these carriers.

Anyway, now that that's out of the way, do anyone have any recommendation for a good type rating training center in the USA which have good quality instruction (I want to leave not only with some additional letters on my license, but a good understanding of the airplane, and a heightened possibility of doing well on a possible sim check during an interview), by that I mean good simulators, good instructors, and well structured classroom instruction.

Would also be nice if the school itself is recognized by the local Asian airlines as a good school that they would like to hire candidates from (if anyone have any tips there).

Price is of course an issue, but I would rather pay a bit more, for better quality (Pan Am seems to be rather cheap, but also for the most part a DIY program).

Would be awesome if anyone had any tips, suggestions or past experiences to share. Would like to receive any by this topic or PM if applicable.

Also, if someone is interested, a sim partner might help out a bit financially and logistically. Preferably someone who already has a good amount of multi-crew experience to make the most of the course.

Thanks!

zondaracer
26th May 2012, 16:34
Higher Power Aviation | Inherit a jet crew experience. Inherit the industry. (http://higherpoweraviation.com/)

PlanetEarth
26th May 2012, 17:19
Thank you for the link, do you have any personal experience with Higher Power?

PlanetEarth
5th Jun 2012, 05:19
Shameless bump.

Does anyone else have any experiences, good or bad with any school providing a320 type rating on the US, and or any experience with getting hired in asia afterwards?

Also, anyone interested in sim partner for that rating?

Would be awesome if you could respond here or in pm :)

pitch90
5th Jun 2012, 20:33
Try Flight Training International. They do a great job in the A320 in several locations and often run special pricing. I got mine several months ago. Not sure about placement help. Hope this helps.

wigwag
7th Jun 2012, 18:26
I would 100% tell you to go with Higher Power Aviation :ok:

Great place

a320renewal
13th Jun 2012, 15:39
I also have a JAA license, but I've let it expire as its too expensive to keep it current while I'm working in Asia.(Europe seems rather dead to me in regards to hiring, which is why I have let my license expire).somebody with sens here, me too, i have JAA and FAA, i am thinking to throw this JAA in the toilet and flush it for good , no one want this expensive ripp off license, not even Asia or Africa want it.

pay 100'000 euro to get limited jobs at 1500euro/month make no sens...

I got a JAA 320 rating, thinking one day to convert to FAA, would be cheaper than just to renew every years the 320 jar...(JAA= :mad:sucker!)