PDA

View Full Version : CASA Systems and Aerody (AASA) Rob Avery vs. AFT Self Study

Arch Angelos
25th May 2012, 10:51
Evening guys,

Sorry to post a thread which has probably been answered but someone who recently sat the exam gave me a bit of a scare.

So firstly, I am planning on self-studying Aerody & Systems and have roughly given myself about 4 weeks to do so around flying and work commitments.
Just wanted to know if anyone sat the exam recently as I am planning on using the AFT notes I purchased, as well as the AFT cyberexams supplemented with the Rob Avery set of 5 systems exams.

1. How long did everyone take to self study for the subject and am I crazy attempting to self study this one (just completed AHUF, AALW and AMET via self study)?

2. A mate who sat it recently said that AFT left quote "holes in his knowledge" for the CASA exam. Would it thus be worthwile in purchasing Rob Avery's notes as well?

Thanks for the advice in advance guys look forward to hearing from you :)

BlatantLiar
25th May 2012, 11:10
I found the AFT notes to be fine. Dont confuse yourself with two sets of information. That being said Robs glass cockpit book is far superior to whats provided with the AFT material.

WannaBeBiggles
25th May 2012, 11:37
The AFT notes are great and I've used them primarily for my ATPL's, however Systems was the one subject where I used the Avery notes, they are much more extensive than the AFT notes and will help you get a much deeper understanding of the various components.

This of course is only my opinion and know plenty of people have passed with Nathans notes, but I did encounter a few questions which weren't even covered in the AFT notes.

michael36
25th May 2012, 11:50
I used AFT's notes for the bulk of the theory, but found that Avery's notes were much better for studying EICAS, it was much more in depth and personally the most difficult part to master. Studied the subject over 5-6 days and passed fine.

kingRB
25th May 2012, 12:05
G'day AA, I am sitting systems next week and have been using the AFT notes, i'll let you know how I go.

I also have the Avery online practice exams which I will go through prior to sitting the real thing.

One other thing I have found helpful is I have a complete copy of the B767 operations manual, which does go into far more detail (obviously actual operational detail) of all the systems than the AFT notes do. I got this manual from back in my early tafe days though so not sure if it is readily available...

wishiwasupthere
25th May 2012, 20:45
I'm studying Systems at the moment and have struggled in the practice exams using AFT notes. I don't know if that's a reflection on me but I've found that I've needed to refer to a lot of supplemental info on the net to get a better understanding of the subject, especially turbines.

Arch Angelos
26th May 2012, 01:36
Thanks all for the replies. Will take this information on board. I suppose I may invest in the Avery notes as well for future reference since I don't actually want to cram anything, but rather understand what is going on. Many an airline pilot I know has told me the bulk of interview questions come from this subject.

kingRB that would be great, update me on your progress if possible, my exam is in a months time and will be beggining with my study shortly.

michael36/wishiwasupthere again thanks for the input, I heard that Avery's notes also explain BGT and the Glass cockpit in great detail.
Just at some cross-roads and didn't want to be studying material that could leave blanks.

Thanks all any more advice greatly appreciated! :ok:

Aimpoint
26th May 2012, 03:07
I found the AFT systems notes to be rubbish. Seemed to be a lot of "copy and paste" contents and poor linking of some topics. I think the manual was only designed to be used with his lectures and is a poor self study tool. But maybe things have changed recently.

Di_Vosh
26th May 2012, 04:03
AA it really depends on you. That is, some books appeal to different people for different reasons.

While I can see where Aimpoint is coming from re: his/her previous post, I self-studied systems in late 2007 only using the AFT books. Passed with 88% IIRC.

DIVOSH!

kingRB
29th May 2012, 06:36
AA I sat systems today and passed.

I only used the AFT notes as previously stated.

Suppose it depends on luck of the draw with what questions you get from the database, but my set was mainly questions on aerodynamics, pressurization, electrical and BGT with a lot of questions regarding turboprop engines. Couple other random questions on autoland / GPWS and CDU operation etc.

One thing I will note though, the Rob Avery practice exams were worth their weight in gold for this subject for my exam. I had about 10 questions in the exam which were word for word with the Avery practice exam questions & answers. Money in the bank :ok: Didn't see a single AFT question though....

Arch Angelos
30th May 2012, 02:24
Fantastic work kingRB. Am studying for it at the moment and finding the AFT notes a bit of struggle to read. Especially the electrical systems section, which is not a good thing since as I know you need a very good understanding for this subject given the variety in the database/questions I will be asked.

I guess I may get the Rob Avery notes as well, I am not sure I am getting a very good understanding thus far with AFT. My method of my own notes here from the text isn't working as well as it has in the past.

All the best with your other ATPLs, hopefully I can make some progress at some point soon with this one.

kingRB
30th May 2012, 04:59
Cheers mate.

Funny you mention about the electrical side of things, I thought I had a pretty firm grasp on just about anything they could ask electrical wise, but looking at my KDR I got an electrical question incorrect.

The way it was written made it quite unclear what the answer was as it was a negatively asked question, ie "which is NOT" a feature of an transport aircraft AC electrical generator protection system. Unfortunately there was at least 2 options in the answers I was pretty sure were incorrect but both answers dependent on if they were referring to the generator itself or the electrical system components, which was not clearly defined in the question :*

Another thing that tripped me up was a question regarding combustion chamber air / gas properties. AFT notes specifically state in bold that combustion pressure remains constant. I picked the only answer out of 4 that didn't say pressure rises / falls, along with the correct temperature / volume increase, and supposedly got that wrong too :confused:

Leads me to wonder if the question is incorrect or is it AFT's BGT notes?

I think with this subject even when you know the material well, you still have a certain amount of luck needed with the types of questions you get.

Anyway good luck with it and all the best :ok:

wishiwasupthere
30th May 2012, 06:09
AFT notes specifically state in bold that combustion pressure remains constant.

I've come across that discrepancy too, AFT saying constant pressure, whilst other texts say there is a slight pressure drop through the combustion chamber mainly due to gas flow momentum changes due to temperature change. :ugh:

Z3-MKD
6th Jun 2012, 16:10
Would anyone happen to have the answers to Rob Avery's practice system exams from book 2?

Turns out that you can only log onto his site with your code for 12 months from the day you signed up. Unfortunately I can't get access to the answers.

Any help would be welcomed.

training wheels
7th Jun 2012, 01:01
Content wise, this for me is the most interesting ATPL subjects. I passed first time using AFT distance learning, but it was my lowest mark out of all the ATPL exams I sat. If I recall correctly, it was stated on AFT's website, that after flight planning, this exam had the second highest failure rate.

I don't think the content was difficult to understand, but it's just the way CASA writes the questions that confuses alot of candidates. ie, there could be 'two correct answers', but you need to choose the friggin 'MOST' correct BS. And actually, in my exam, there was a question which had two answers that were EXACTLY the same!! :confused: Go figure!

DraggieDriver
7th Jun 2012, 01:22
And actually, in my exam, there was a question which had two answers that were EXACTLY the same!! Go figure!
So by process of elimination neither one of those can be correct, and now you have a better chance of picking the right one. ;)

training wheels
7th Jun 2012, 01:33
So by process of elimination neither one of those can be correct, and now you have a better chance of picking the right one. ;)

It was a while ago (in 2006), but vaguely remember thinking that both of these repeated answers were the correct one! haha .. can't remember what I chose, but anyway, after pressing 'submit' and getting the response that I passed, that's all that mattered on the day and CASA was forgiven for this balls up. ;)

gamma69
8th Jun 2012, 07:02
Question in regards to AFT on constant pressure in combustion chamber. There are two references that state constant pressure, but the graph on page 8 of 54 shows that there is a slight pressure reduction through the combustion chamber.
Also a couple of questions speak about pressure decrease or remains constant for combustion chamber.

kingRB
8th Jun 2012, 10:29
gamma if you get that question in the exam, there is one answer option with constant pressure. Don't pick it, trust me!

It was a while ago (in 2006), but vaguely remember thinking that both of these repeated answers were the correct one!

TW, did Met yesterday and one question had the same answer twice. It was incorrect for that one, go figure!

Arch Angelos
20th Jun 2012, 08:59
Had systems today guys, thought I'd cap the thread off for any interested readers/people about to tackle this one. Passed today which was good.

All in all used Rob Avery and AFT, went through both sets of notes for better explanations.

I'd highly recommend going through the Avery stuff first and then through the AFT stuff which covers more closely what you need to know but with alot less explanation (hence me suggesting reading the material that actually explains what's going on).
I know it's another 200 bucks or so in notes, however the Avery stuff will really come in handy in later piloting life. I am no where near such a stage, but a mate of mine who was recently interviewed by a major was grilled on high speed aerody for example, which I think isn't covered the best in AFT.

As far as the exam goes lots and lots of variety, my exam had minimal aerodynamics, lots of pressursation, BGT, Electrical, hydraulics and number on autoflight modes + 1 question on GPWS and 1 question on TCAS.

Rob Avery set of 5 exams are a must as a number fo my questions were drawn directly from that. However, do not attempt to memorise any answers, this is not like Met and Air Law where many questions you may have seen before.
You really needa get a good grasp on your stuff as me and a mate who completed this one around the same time discussed. 3 weeks solid study with work anf flying in between is plently of time.

Take it easy, happy studying/flying.