PDA

View Full Version : Genuine question

Canadian Break
25th May 2012, 07:02
Can anyone tell me how long before you retire (i.e. days/weeks/months) you need to apply for your pension on JPA. The inhabitants of the local Handbrake House seem to have a number of different ideas, depending on who you ask! Thanks;
CB

Whenurhappy
25th May 2012, 07:08
Force Pension Society is a start - or call SPVA in Glasgow (via JPAC). Have you done the Financial Aspects of Resettlement course? this looks at the ins and outs of penions, tax regimes etc...

chinook240
25th May 2012, 07:13
If you're within your resettlement period you can attend a free 'Financial Aspects of Resettlement' brief where both the service and Pension Society give valuable info on pensions, including filling in the Penform 1.

roony
25th May 2012, 09:51
I did it last summer sometime for a Jan 12 release with no drama.

lonsdale2
25th May 2012, 10:28
Went to a FAR brief recently - FPS recommended applying at the 6 months point prior to your exit.

Hastalavista
25th May 2012, 10:40
I think you can leave it until just before you leave if you wish - but that was not recommended at my resettlement brief in case of errors etc. You also need to factor in the potential for delays, especially if you use the hard copy form rather than doing it electronically via JPA (don't know if that is still an option). I seem to remember that you could send off your APFS1 any time during your final year. I also heard that they start to close down elements of your JPA account in your final month (ie terminal leave period) which might add complication.

They important thing is to get your APFS1 filled in and received by "the system" before you leave. I did mine via JPA with about 4 months to run and it was pretty easy, as many aspects, including the bank details, were inserted automatically and just needed checking. However, I was not intending to move house/change banks etc and so there was little to vary. The other big advantage of the JPA route was that I rapidly received a receipt message in my workflow. It is vital that you have this confirmation, especially if you use the hard copy form, as nothing will be paid to you unless they have all the details ..............

I would echo the comment above from chinook240. I found the info from the Forces Pension Society presentation very useful in understanding who would pay the various elements of final salary, gratuity and pension, and when, after I left.

Hope this helps

HLV

Voxpop
26th May 2012, 07:27
We at the Forces Pension Society (FPS) do suggest that you fill the Pens Form 1 in about 6 months before you are due to go. That will give you time to get and double check your final forecast. The checking is something we will do for our members so, if you are interested, take a look at our website (Forces Pension Society - Fighting for the Forces and their Families (http://www.forpen.co.uk) )

'Pensions' is not a straightforward subject so attending a Financial Aspects of Retirement course is a good idea - FPS deliver a brief in the first hour and three quarters of the day on AFPS benefits, commutation, tax, national insurance and the state pension. They are held all over the place and can be booked through resettlement offices. If you get stuck, send me a PM and I will tell you where they will be held for the rest of this year.

Farfrompuken
26th May 2012, 07:33
I think it's within 9 months of your exit date you can apply.

My timings were similar to Lj101's