PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying these a/c

W2k
23rd May 2012, 21:16
Disclaimer: I'm not military aircrew, just a simple PPL, mods have mercy. :)

A friend took this photo of two aircraft recently. Can somebody help identify them, if at all possible from just the silhouettes? Posting in this forum because my friend thought they were military a/c.

http://i.imgur.com/8alAO.jpg

Many thanks in advance. I did try googling, but couldn't come up with anything (especially for the 4-engine) that would likely be spotted flying over Sweden nowadays...

Strucky
23rd May 2012, 21:20
My guess, front aircraft poss DC6 and rear aircraft Harvard?

Tiger_mate
23rd May 2012, 21:36
The rear one is certainly a Harvard. I believe the leader may be a DH Heron Reg N415SA.

Västerås Aircraft Museum

Fox3WheresMyBanana
23rd May 2012, 22:05
Proportions match a DH Heron, and not a DC-7C
I've flown a Harvard, and that's one!

aviate1138
23rd May 2012, 22:29
The Heron was probably a Riley Heron which had non standard Lycoming? engines hence the non standard silhouette.

TEEEJ
24th May 2012, 00:11
As already pointed out it looks like the Heron and Harvard at Västerås.

Heron in background at 00:27

ApFBhZW2L8I&feature=related

A A Gruntpuddock
24th May 2012, 00:51
Didn't realise any Herons were still extant - lovely looking 'plane.

Dengue_Dude
24th May 2012, 06:17
Well done guys!

I was stumped on the four engined one as it seemed to be at the same height as the Havard (which was definitely the easy one), never thought about a Heron as the engines didn't seem right - looks very elegant doesn't it?

W2k
24th May 2012, 06:54
Many thanks guys! Gotta love PPruNe :ok:

Jackonicko
24th May 2012, 10:48
looks very elegant doesn't it?

It really does. Aaaah de Havilland, as the man used to say......

What the Queen's Flight wouldn't have given for one with four Lycomings - they could have used the kettle and the navaids simultaneously, and might even have had a water heater for the lavatory washbasin - and provided better than a chemical Elsan toilet as a 'throne' for HM.....

Molemot
24th May 2012, 12:30
Church Fenton, Summer, 1971. Moley was getting his first taste of Chipmunks, and was in the line hut. A Naval Heron arrived, and taxied in. Volunteers were asked for, to marshal it to it's parking spot....a lad was duly despatched. A few seconds later he reappeared..."What's the batting signal for Drop Anchor?"!!

JOE-FBS
24th May 2012, 12:48
"Didn't realise any Herons were still extant"

G-AORG is at Airbase Coventry. I have worked next door since September and have seen it do engine runs a couple of times. I think it is still airworthy so am hoping to see it fly this year.

AGS Man
28th May 2012, 11:42
And theres a static Heron on a plinth outside the old Aerodrome at Croydon

pontifex
28th May 2012, 12:01
Yup! Harvard and Heron - and I've flown both.

Dengue_Dude
28th May 2012, 17:01
Yup! Harvard and Heron - and I've flown both.

They don't look close enough . . .