View Full Version : Catch 22

Jim59
23rd May 2012, 15:30
EASA Non Complex Operations propoed rule (Opinion 1/2012) Annex V11:

NCO.GEN.120 Rotor engagement
A helicopter rotor shall only be turned under power for the purpose of flight with a qualified pilot at the controls.

Don't student pilots have to fly solo to become a qualified pilot? Since only qualified pilots can fly solo then it will become impossible to become qualified!

GoodGrief
23rd May 2012, 15:40
There is a difference between qualified and licenced.
A student pilot signed off for solo is qualified. Well. and licenced, for that matter.

md 600 driver
23rd May 2012, 15:50
good grief
not all student pliots have licences each country is differerent

also how does a helicopter mechanic qualify ?

farsouth
23rd May 2012, 16:12
also how does a helicopter mechanic qualify ?

In the UK, I have never heard of a civilian helicopter engineer being cleared to ground run with rotors engaged................

And if they have in the past, presumably this proposed rule would remove that possibility ?

hihover
23rd May 2012, 16:14
I think you'll find this wording is the same as current wording and in the case of the mechanic/technician, they do not normally start for "the purpose of flight". If they intend to fly then they must also be a pilot.

Tam

farsouth
23rd May 2012, 16:17
Good point hihover, I missed the "for the purpose of flight" bit :O

ATN
23rd May 2012, 18:32
The way the words are arranged leads to think that that the rotor shall be turned for the purpose of flight only, no more ground run by pilot or mechanic.

It should read: for the purpose of flight, a helicopter rotor shall be turned under power only with a qualified pilot at the controls.

... sorry, I have nothing else to do.

ATN

PapaechoIT
23rd May 2012, 21:37
you're right ATN,
a qualified pilot with license, can engage the rotor for any purpose.
The relevant point have been written with the wording:

NCO.GEN.120 Rotor engagement
A helicopter rotor shall only be turned under power for the purpose of flight with a qualified pilot at the controls.

which is, in my opinion, misleading.

As you write it, instead, is intended that for the purpose of flight only a qualified pilot can start the rotor. This means that for other purpose another point will define the rule.

Probably a qualified technician can engage the rotor for maintenance purpose un accordance with some defined procedures. I think you can find that in Part 145 or Part 66.

Just my two cents.