PDA

View Full Version : Modular Training Order

mr_rodge
23rd May 2012, 07:10
Morning all,

Sorry if this's been done before.

From what I gather most people train by doing the PPL/Night/IMC, then hour build, ATPL exams, CPL, ME then IR.

Why doesn't anybody seem to do them in a different order?

I mean, from what I gather if you were to do the IR before the CPL/ME, wouldn't you do half of the ATPL exams as a part of the IR, then finish them off at a later date for the CPL?

Or does the rule where the exams are only valid for so long still come into play, so you'd then be put on a tight timescale for doing the rest of the ATPLs and the CPL?

Or, does it have the same effect as doing just the CPL exams instead of the ATPLs, where you simply can't 'upgrade' at all?

Cheers.

Dan the weegie
23rd May 2012, 08:09
It's a natural progression of difficulty level. The IR being the most difficult (in theory) and each of the previous courses has content that relates very neatly into the next. That said there's no reason why you can't do it a different way.

As for the exams, you need to complete them all within 18 months of your first pass. Better to get them all out of the way, also you are in exam mode which means you are focussed on just that, they're not hard just a lot of work all the distance courses are geared to doing them all in 2 or 3 blocks and they have success in doing so.

Bearcat F8F
23rd May 2012, 08:24
There's no reason why you have to do it in that order I don't think. As long as you meet the minimum requirements for each module, you can mix it up however you like.

ZuluZuluAlpha
23rd May 2012, 09:38
@dan the weegie It's a natural progression of difficulty level. The IR being the most difficult (in theory)
How do you mean by this, is the IR almost near impossible to pass first time or something?:confused:

pilotmike7
23rd May 2012, 10:28
The problem is that modular seems to be the old way of doing things and the new way to securing a job is through a MPL scheme. I completed PPL then hours then ATPL theory, MEIR, CPL at reduced hours due to the IR.

pudoc
23rd May 2012, 12:11
Plenty of people pass IR the first time and some guys find it easier than the CPL. The reason was is that IR is black and white 'do this and do that' whilst the CPL is more of an advanced PPL and is more colourful.

You don't do an IMC btw. PPL > Night > ATPL > Build hours > CPL > ME > IR

Some do the ME before CPL.

That's just the way it's done, typically. PPL is your basics, then you need a night rating but you can do this before your CPL if you want.

PPL is a requirement for ATPLs so that has to be done first, and then it's best to get all the theory out of the way and then concentrate on flying. Some study and hour build at the same time.

You really can do it in any order but to the do the CPL you need to do CPL exams, (12 exams?? somebody correct me) these are similar to the ATPL exams. And after all you want an ATPL one day so you may as well do all the ATPL exams at once to save time and effort. So that's why we do ATPL before CPL/IR.

People do the IR last because the CPL follows on from the PPL. IR and PPL are very different, and as I said CPL is like an advanced PPL. It all follows on nicely.

Anyone that says you won't get a job modular is a big fat liar.

sevenstrokeroll
23rd May 2012, 12:24
we do it differently in the USA.

private
instrument
commerical single
commercial multi
cfi
cfii
cfimei

build hours
atpmel

Dan the weegie
23rd May 2012, 22:05
How do you mean by this, is the IR almost near impossible to pass first time or something?

Nope, what I mean is that the theory is that the CPL is not much different to the PPL you just have to be better and you get a reasonable introduction to Instrument Flying. The IR on the other hand requires that you be comfortable with flying the aircraft straight and level and that you can handle it plus the radio and the navaids with very little loss of directional or vertical control. Your flying should be better by the time you have flown the CPL because you've had all the practice you can get. That said many fly the IR before the CPL because it can be cheaper if you pass in min time. I did PPL/CPL/FI long break as an FI IMC/MEIR that worked fine for me but I honestly don't think I'd have had a problem with IR before the CPL if I had gone to AFT for the whole lot :)