PDA

View Full Version : Ratio of Pax to staff on Ramp

November4
22nd May 2012, 10:58
Asking the experts over on this forum.

Is there a ratio of pax to staff allowed on the ramp at any one time? e.g when boarding via steps, is the a max number of pax allowed on the ramp to the number of staff for H&S reasons.

Thanks

Out Of Trim
22nd May 2012, 14:57
Err no.. Why? Do you think there should be? :confused:

November4
22nd May 2012, 15:09
Thanks for the reply - I didn't think there was from what I could see.

It's in the standards for an NVQ

Describe the ratio of passengers allowed on the ramp at any time

I assume this means the ratio of pax to staff like in schools where they need so many teachers to pupils.

Out Of Trim
22nd May 2012, 15:36
OK, not heard of one for the Ramp; but the Airport Authority expect that there should be sufficient numbers of staff to guide passengers safely. If it is over a long distance then obviously one would not be enough.

There is a required ratio of cabin crew to passengers on the actual aircraft though to enable an emergency evacuation should the need arise.

November4
22nd May 2012, 17:24
Thanks for that OoT much appreciated

PAXboy
22nd May 2012, 22:58
November4 Try this thread (by asking a MOD to move it) to the Airlines, Airports and Routes forum. Or ask in the threads of certain regional airports. That is, where the pax must cross the ramp aas there are no boarding bridges. To my certain knowledge:
IOM
LTN

Some of the gates at these have bridges but some are bussed and sometimes I have walked:
MAN
EDI
GLA

750XL
22nd May 2012, 23:16
At MAN at least, there are no official rules on ratios but...

At least 1 member of ground staff (or cabin crew) are required to stand at the wing tip, and passengers must be visible at all times from disembarking via the steps to entering the terminal building. If passengers have to cross an active road system, an additional member of staff must stand there, to stop passengers being squashed by blind tug drivers.

November4
23rd May 2012, 10:23
Thanks for the replies. You are all confirming what I couldn't find - any set laid down regs.

DaveReidUK
23rd May 2012, 20:14
Amazingly, "Describe the ratio of passengers allowed on the ramp at any time" is a verbatim quote from the NVQ question.

Given that "ratio of passengers" is a meaningless expression (a ratio describes the relationship between two or more numbers or quantities), it's not surprising that NVQs, and Ofqual, have such a poor reputation.