PDA

View Full Version : Gliding hours towards PPL/NPPL?

tobster911
21st May 2012, 11:44
Hello, just a quick question:
Can I count my gliding hours in a Non-Powered glider towards a PPL or an NPPL? If so, how many of the hours etc, any more details etc.
Thanks a lot
T

Tupperware Pilot
21st May 2012, 12:05
Yes you can, if you have a BGA issued glider pilot license. Then the min hours for a NPPL (either SLMG or SSEP) is ten hours. One of which has to be solo. Plus all 5 exams.(6 if you need radio)
NPPL Home Page (http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence.co.uk/)
Did mine a couple of years ago, all done in 13 hours, did it all on a SLMG and converted to SSEP, then sent the paperwork off. So ended up with SSEP and SLMG for the total of 13 hours.

thing
21st May 2012, 12:33
Likewise if you want a JAR-PPL (or part -FCL as it's called nowadays I think), you can knock off 1 hour off the total hours required up to a maximum of ten for each ten hours glider flying. IE if you have 100+ hours gliding you can do the part -FCL in a minimum of 35 hours.

Depends what sort of flying you want to do, if it's daytime VFR in UK (and France I think) then you just need an NPPL.

Dave Gittins
21st May 2012, 14:00
Can you fly to France on an NPPL ? I thought the 200 euro hamburger was forever out of my reach.

thing
21st May 2012, 14:53
I'm sure they allow NPPL's in now. Some one will be along to correct me if I'm wrong.

airpolice
21st May 2012, 18:47
Someone told me but I've not got it written down anywhere...... maybe it came to me in a dream.

Short answer: It depends on your medical.

Long answer: Yes you can fly to France on an NPPL. If you are of the self declaration medical type, like as wot I is, you need to ask permission from Le Frogs.

ak7274
21st May 2012, 20:30
You can fly to France on an NPPL with a class 2 medical and a certificate issued by the NPPL people.
I use my NPPL to fly regularly to France.