PDA

View Full Version : Continental IO-520A operating data

NzCaptainAndrew
21st May 2012, 07:11
Currently flying some jump runs in a Cessna P206A 1965 (1966 first certified) Super Skylane, with a Continental IO-520A Engine.

The first start of the day I usually put both low and high boost pumps on with the throttle sightly open then let the fuel pressure build to about 6 with the mixture rich. Then i turn the boost pumps off and close the throttle - on start up I keep the throttle closed while cranking the engine and slowly open the throttle while doing so and this works well.

After a few runs I do a 'Hot start' which is the same as a normal start but less prime using the fuel pump and the engine starts with the throttle more open.

The engine backfired once on start up after a hot start - is this because the engine had too much fuel in it? Did I prime the engine for too long?

There is also a EGT gauge and I keep it around 1350c on the climb and the CHT is just under 300F - is this a good setting?

If anyone has detailed operating procedures for this engine that would be great - Fuel burn on the climb etc etc.....Anything and everything - the POH i have is very old and tattered..

All this information was provided for me by the previous jump pilot but I would just like to double check with some engineers so I can run the engine just that little bit better.