PDA

View Full Version : Robin Gibb (Bee Gees), a friend of The Services, has passed away.

Willard Whyte
21st May 2012, 00:15
Recently, Gibb had been a staunch supporter of veterans’ charities.

Last year he re-recorded the Bee Gees hit I’ve Gotta Get A Message To You with military group The Soldiers in aid of the Poppy Appeal.

He last performed on stage in February supporting injured servicemen and women at a charity concert at the London Palladium.

Gibb was also involved in a campaign to build a permanent memorial in the capital for veterans of World War Two’s Bomber Command.

NutLoose
21st May 2012, 00:37
Such a shame, RIP. 62 is no age. :(

Lantern10
21st May 2012, 02:05
A good fellow gone way to soon.

RIP Robin I loved your work.

Airborne Aircrew
21st May 2012, 02:05
The "funny" thing is that as I look at the front page of Yahoo... A place many people get their "news" I see that he was a member of the Gee Gees... :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

http://www.hqrafregiment.net/images/geegees.jpg

Unbelievably pathetic...

http://www.hqrafregiment.net/images.geegee.jpg

Halton Brat
21st May 2012, 06:47
RIP Robin, a great musician & a staunch supporter of the British military, whose role in the Bomber Command Memorial campaign will not be forgotten.

HB

PS - BBMF Lanc funeral flypast?

Tableview
21st May 2012, 06:57
Very sad. A great musician and an example to many. RIP.

Chugalug2
21st May 2012, 08:47
How sad that he could not live to see the unveiling of the Bomber Command Memorial in Green Park on 28 June 2012. If it were not for him there would be no unveiling, for there would be no memorial. He would not wish to have his part put in such a stark way, but nobody else seemed to want to commit to a National Memorial to the 55573 aircrew who gave their lives in that most dangerous campaign lasting from the beginning to the end of the War in Europe, least of all the Royal Air Force itself. The least it can do now is make some amends by properly commemorating this driven man. Perhaps a plaque at St Clement Danes?
RIP, dear friend of HM Forces.

AGS Man
21st May 2012, 09:08
Not a great fan of the Bee Gees but a very sad day. RIP. I think Chugalug got it about right in his post.

Dave Barnshaw
21st May 2012, 13:38
Hi Halton Brat, What a great idea to suggest a tribute to Robin by having the Lancaster fly over at Robin's funeral,I do hope some "top brass" read these notes and grant it for that special day,that would show their appreciation for what Robin did for all our armed forces for many years. R.I.P.Robin-you will not be forgotten.:D:D:DDB.

Finningley Boy
21st May 2012, 14:28
Re Post 9.

I thought Robin Gibb lived in the U.S.A ? But of course, if the Funeral is over here, then subject to the Family agreeing, I'm sure the R.A.F. could manage something.

FB

Tallsar
21st May 2012, 15:11
:uhoh: Nah FB - its his Bro Barry who lives Stateside. Robin has a nice country pad over here.

Always liked their music... best selling pop songwriting group of all time....

I too think its a shame he didn't quite make the BC Memorial unveiling... but hey, he at least knew how grateful everyone was for his life's work and his efforts on the memorial.

RIP Robin.... your music is your memorial and thoughts go to your one surviving bro.... Many condolences to your family and Barry.

Dundiggin'
21st May 2012, 15:28
How sad that such a generous and kindly person should die at such a young age. I like many others on here and throughout the UK/World are probably unaware of just how much support Robin and his brothers have given to charities and good causes. I was Lions Club Manx Children In Need Appeal Chairman in 1997 (in the IOM). The Bee Gees agreed to record and write a new arrangement to the Manx National Anthem 'Ellan Vannen (sp?) This Beautiful Island' exclusively for our appeal!. The resulting recording was haunting, absolutely superb, meticulously recorded and sung. They then donated 100 copies of the CD to the Lions Club auction to be publicly auctioned live on Manx Radio, the proceeds of which were to be included in the days' proceedings for the Manx Children in Need Appeal. The Bee Gees were born on the IOM and they wanted to give back something to the Island.
I spoke to Robin live on air that day and publicly thanked him and the Bee Gees for this especially generous act and he was almost embarrassed at the fact that he/they had generated such gratitude. They opened their Wembley concert with 'Ellen Vannen' and it proved and still remains a very popular number in their repertoire. :D
It is always sad to lose anyone held in such high regard, but such a big hearted, generous, humble example of humankind makes it all the more painfull.
God Bless you Robin and many thanks from everyone whose lives you have improved whether implicitly or surruptiously.
RIP mate you were a good'un and an example to all of us.