PDA

View Full Version : Aussie moving maps

tartare
20th May 2012, 23:05
Will soon be doing some travel within `straya on commercial airlines with Mrs T, little Tartare and little Tartarette.
Family iPad will be taken on board (non 3G model).
I've downloaded iHud so that we can ensure the jet remains straight and level and check the pilots aren't exceeding the speed limit...
But is there a cheap moving map that I can also download - so that the tykes can work out what they're seeing out the window?
AirNavPro etc all seem to require expensive subscriptions.
And it's not for me at all... honest...
Any recommendations fellow Aussie pruners...?

tmpffisch
20th May 2012, 23:20
Use the trial period of OZrunways. Just download it a few days before you leave so it doesn't run out.
It contains all the Australian IFR and VFR charts.

It also has some Australian regs (AIP), so you can make sure the pilots aren't doing a dodgy too....:ugh:

Goat Whisperer
20th May 2012, 23:40
... do the non 3G have GPS???

AussieNick
20th May 2012, 23:59
Nope, to get GPS with a non 3g ipad you need a bluetooth GPS

tartare
21st May 2012, 00:21
Thanks guys - didn't know about the non 3G not having GPS either.
Will be great to be able to work out where we are above the great red land...

rjtjrt
21st May 2012, 00:29
You can buy an external bluetooth GPS so the non 3G iPad can navigate the maps.
Beware it must be a specifically iPad compatable bluetooth GPS.
I have a Dual xgps150.
John

Capn Bloggs
21st May 2012, 00:59
I've downloaded iHud so that we can ensure the jet remains straight and level and check the pilots aren't exceeding the speed limit...

Check it in a turn. I bet it says "wings level". :}

But is there a cheap moving map that I can also download - so that the tykes can work out what they're seeing out the window?
Get Memory Map. The app costs about $9 but the Australia-wide 250k map is free. You have to download it via the Memory Map program for Windows from MMs Digital Map Shop, then transfer it to the ipad.

Aimpoint
21st May 2012, 02:08
+1 for the Dual XGPS150 - works very nicely with an iPad 2 (wifi only). Ordered online (ebay from memory) for around $100, and took a couple of weeks to be delivered from Asia.

Download the mega WAC (or whatever they call it) on Ozrunways before you leave, together with any other charts you might be interested in.

L0u0k0e
21st May 2012, 02:17
I tried my iPhone 4 with OzRunways recently on a commercial flight, the GPS initially picked up a fix surprisingly quickly, and worked well, when I tried it again a bit later, I didn't have any luck. I was sitting at a window seat, phone near window to help it 'see' outside.
I would guess that a dedicated external GPS would work a bit better though.

AussieNick
21st May 2012, 02:51
You didn't happen to have the phone in flight mode did you? That does disable the GPS

Capn Bloggs
21st May 2012, 03:09
I would guess that a dedicated external GPS would work a bit better though.
Definitely. For a start, most phones have Assisted GPS, which means they use the network location to "assist" with locating satellites to lock-on to. In flight mode, networking is not available and with the weak GPS signals coming thru small windows or gold-plated heated windscreens, the GPS sometimes never locks on.

An external GPS sensor like the XGPS-150 doesn't need any of that. It'll get a GPS position much more readily. It is also good for preventing i and a devices overheating in the sun if they are placed on the dashboard to get a good signal.

baswell
21st May 2012, 03:24
I find the GPS in the iPad 3 a great improvement over anything that came from Apple before. No problem quickly getting a lock out of the side window over the Bight at FL390.

Keg
21st May 2012, 04:47
No problem quickly getting a lock out of the side window over the Bight at FL390.

That's great to hear. It's still pretty shocking out the front windows.