PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 737-300 landing technique

Jim_12
20th May 2012, 21:36
Looking for some insight from experienced pilots of the classic series. The operation I work for has recently acquired a 300 series and the majority of us only have experience on the 200 series and although it is still a 737 I have noticed the 300 has a bit more tendency to float when using the same technique in the 200. A fellow recommended to bring the thrust back at 20 feet and arrest the descent but this is no where in the Boeing from and relying on a audible clue to preform a visual maneuver such as a landing which has so many different variables can pose a lot of problems in my opinion. The technique which works well in the 200 is ease the descent with a slight flare and bring the thrust to idle flying the aircraft onto the touchdown zone but I have found the 300 has a tendency to float while doing this and many pilots in turn bring the thrust back sooner and flare higher causing a long landing. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sciolistes
21st May 2012, 02:47
I have flown the 400 and NG. Doing exactly what Boeing says in the FCTM and I have never landed hard or long, juat nice consistent plonk at around 1,200 to 1,500 feet every time.

I don't think there are that many variables when landing. The important ones are taken care of like speed for weight and speed additives. The only debateable exception is landing at a high altitude field.

excrab
21st May 2012, 04:26
Page 6.7 of my copy of the FCTM suggests that the flare should be initiated at 20ft and the thrust levers then retarded, which seems to agree with what has been suggested to you.

It works for me most of the time, although I'm sure there will be those with more experience on it than I have who may think slightly differently, but it was what I was taught when I did base training, and has worked for the three airlines where I have flown it. The NG is slightly different, and I'm sure that the 200 is also, although I haven't flown it. As Sciolistes suggests the speed increments etc should be as boeing suggest, and if you do what they say to it works well.

c100driver
21st May 2012, 05:18
Just fly it like the FCTM says. Twenty feet and start the flare, close the thrust levers. Worked for me the last 12 years on the 300.

The 300 has a lot more residual thrust than the 200 did, particularly if it had hush kits fitted.

Centaurus
21st May 2012, 12:10
The 300 has a lot more residual thrust than the 200 did

Don't stuff around trying for a smooth slow cut of the thrust levers. Once you have decided to close the thrust levers then do it sharply against the stops. . It takes time for the thrust to fall off and doing it slowly like some do on turbo-props, only extends any float.

kwtxpilot
23rd May 2012, 22:43
20-30 ft with a slow close to idle. Flare like a C182.
The 100 and 200s were low bypass fans, so they spooled down very quickly; much slower on the high bypass 300-thru-900 models.

15+ yrs and 12,000+ hrs on the 100, the 200, the 300, the 500, the 700, the 800 and the 900 models.

de facto
24th May 2012, 01:52
Just do it as described in the FCTM ,it works as magic!
30ft rad alt if it helps or when the runway starts to rise,pitch up to follow the runway rise motion while closing the thrust (same speed as when you adjust sthrust in flight) so that when you touch the levers are idle.

You cant go wrong, just read the books!
If you tend to flare too low ,rise your seat,if you flare too high,lower your seat position.
You should see where the wiper connects with aircraft skin.

If you float on the 300 ,you better stop it cause youll never touch down on 800:E
If you foat,it means either your speed is too fast into the flare or you keep the thrust too long and reduce it too slowly.

sevenstrokeroll
24th May 2012, 13:44
many of the previous comments are just fine

but

out of curiosity...is the floating more likely at some of your airports/runways than others?

if so, carefully calculate the down or upslope of the runway.

if you float and the runway downslopes, there is your answer...a visual deception causes you to flare while the runway is going away from you...check the runways, ask if you need more info

sevenstrokeroll
26th May 2012, 00:21
one other thing to remember...

the 737 (any version) has low wing mounted engines...when you cut the power, the nose drops and when you add power the nose comes up

now, this may seem basic, but when you reduce power approaching touchdown, you must counter the nose dropping with easy back pressure...it is a very fine sort of thing

good luck

nitpicker330
26th May 2012, 03:48
Just close your eyes and hope!! Works for me!! :E

oceancrosser
26th May 2012, 21:38
15+ yrs and 12,000+ hrs on the 100, the 200, the 300, the 500, the 700, the 800 and the 900 models.

What? You missed out on the -400 and -600? You have my sincere condolences :ugh:

Piepal
18th Aug 2014, 15:49
Hi guys, my name is Pietro and I am only an enthusiast. I Know that this forum is for professionals and I don't want to waste your time. If someone wants to gift his time to me I have a question. In a video of a gol airlines 737-800 is clear that pilot retard thrust at 50 feet (gpws call) and lands his a/c with a consistent flare angle (flap 40, speed and gw unknow obviously, SBRJ airport). I read boeing manual (and this thread) and I would known if in real life is allowed that a pilot can perform a landing by feel and if this often happens? I don't found nothing on the web regarding 737-800 packaged with sfp, maybe this? Thank you very much.

sjm
21st Aug 2014, 13:38
Centaurus.. :ugh::hmm:

When the threshold passes under the airplane nose and out of sight, shift the visual sighting point to the far end of the runway. Shifting the visual sighting point assists in controlling the pitch attitude during the flare. Maintaining a constant airspeed and descent rate assists in determining the flare point.

Initiate the flare when the main gear is approximately 20 feet above the runway by increasing pitch attitude approximately 2° - 3°. This slows the rate of descent. After the flare is initiated, smoothly retard the thrust levers to idle, and make small pitch attitude adjustments to maintain the desired descent rate to the runway.

A smooth thrust reduction to idle also assists in controlling the natural nose-down pitch change associated with thrust reduction. Hold sufficient back pressure on the control column to keep the pitch attitude constant. A touchdown attitude as depicted in the figure below is normal with an airspeed of approximately VREF plus any gust correction. Ideally, main gear touchdown should occur simultaneously with thrust levers reaching idle

Works every time .... :D

cosmo kramer
21st Aug 2014, 14:22
Pietro, if the video is on the internet, perhaps you could provide a link. There are so many variables, that answering your question is difficult otherwise.

Normally, closing the thrust levers in 50 feet would not be a good idea, nor inline with Boeing recommendations (no difference for SFP equipped aircraft).

However, external circumstances may make it necessary to deviate from normal practice. Example of such could be changes in wind, which causes the indicated airspeed to rise, and may make it feasible to retard the thrust levers earlier than usual. Likewise, it may be necessary to add thrust during the flare in some circumstances.

The procedures are written for a "standard day". The atmosphere is not always aware what is written in our books. And, yes, this is where "feel", training and experience comes in to play. And, yes, along with the procedures, "feel" is used on every landing. :ok: