PDA

View Full Version : Can you request runway lights to be illuminated on approach to an airport ?

Memphis_bell
20th May 2012, 19:50
Hi;

Can runway lights be requested on approach/finals ? Is it pilot discression ?

Piper.Classique
20th May 2012, 19:57
Yes. If it's a bit misty they may be on anyway. Assuming the airport is equipped, of course :)

Memphis_bell
20th May 2012, 20:06
Of course :-) but can you request them anyway ?...a friend would like to see them...but it might be a clear day when i take him.

mad_jock
20th May 2012, 20:06
yep and you can ask them to be turned down as well.

Watch out if your going into a CATII ILS if you ask for 100% lighting it can blind you.

Memphis_bell
20th May 2012, 20:07
What would be a routine r/t request for illimination ?

Gertrude the Wombat
20th May 2012, 20:33
The only lighting request I remember hearing was my instructor saying "can you turn the PAPIs off please" :O

Memphis_bell
20th May 2012, 20:42
Haha - hey im actually going tO fly into
Cambs - are they ok to Light up on request ?

BackPacker
20th May 2012, 21:20
Do remember that running 3000 100W+ lights (typical major airport runway) is not going to be cheap, even for just a few minutes. In my opinion the airport would be entirely justified to charge you something extra when they need to turn the lights on just because your friend wanted to see them.

Special requests like this, it's always best to phone them in advance to avoid surprises.

Jan Olieslagers
20th May 2012, 21:38

ABC tower, request illimination, Golf Zulu Zulu Zulu Zulu

ShyTorque
20th May 2012, 22:46
In Scotland they'd need a shilling in advance for the electricity meter.

flybymike
20th May 2012, 22:50
ABC tower, request illimination, Golf Zulu Zulu Zulu Zulu
I suggest not requesting elimination (or even illimination) when flying in the restricted area;)

Gertrude the Wombat
20th May 2012, 22:54
hey im actually going tO fly into Cambs - are they ok to Light up on request ?
Never tried asking - on even a remotely grotty day they're on anyway.

ShyTorque
20th May 2012, 22:56
I suggest not requesting elimination (or even illimination) when flying in the restricted area

I agree! They might think you mean THIS:
(P.s. I bet no-one listens to this all the way through)!

YQLbwOGT8eM

piperboy84
20th May 2012, 23:06
Can runway lights be requested on approach/finals ? Is it pilot discression ?

At my farm strip, YES. With a caveat. Please allow time for me to get new batteries into my 3 quid torch and run my fat lazy ass up and into position at the threshold !

Pace
21st May 2012, 04:35
sounds like the bit from Aeroplane when they turned off the lights at night on short final :E

Normal ATC calls

Up a bit? request a bit more! down a tad err no up a bit again! I am dazzled!

ATC How is it for you now sweetie pie? :ugh:

Pace

mad_jock
21st May 2012, 09:16
Just be a bit canny asking for CATII lighting. Unless its CATII conditions is dangerously bright even in daylight.

I don't think most airports would object if you asked for them to turn the runways lights on low for training purposes for 30 seconds. I think they have 4 main setting. 10% which they use to check the lights 25% 50% 75% and 100%

Pull what
21st May 2012, 11:41
Think again Jock

Hi intensity approach lighting should have a minimum of 5 settings

100%
30%
10%
3%
1%

Supplementary approach lighting should have a minimum of 3

100%
30%
10%

It is recommended that LI edge and taxyway lighting have 100% and 30%

Lighting is normally kept at 3% to conserve power and bulbs (apart from PAPIs)

Its a useful demononstration to studes to show how the lights can be turned up as an aid to not only approach recognition but airfield recognition. I can remember having some fun with an FO who lined up at Northolt for an approach to LHR 23- a quick 100% from from LHR soon convinced him to realign his approach!

mad_jock
21st May 2012, 11:53
I think they have 4 main setting

I am a pilot not a walt that surfs the internet to try and get people to think I a pilot and an instructor.

BackPacker
21st May 2012, 11:55
airfield recognition

I was doing my PPL in Florida, and doing my dual X-country night flight. At some point in time we were supposed to be overhead a certain airfield. "Okay, let's check" said the instructor. So she tuned in the frequency for the Pilot Controlled Lighting, clicked a few times and sure enough, the airfield lit up underneath us.

Not the most "green" way of navigating, but it was fun nevertheless.

Dave Gittins
21st May 2012, 13:31
Its pretty standard at an untowered field in the US to click 7 times on the CTAF frequency to get the lights on. Allegedly, its illegal to have a similar set up in the UK.

thing
21st May 2012, 13:37
Not the most "green" way of navigating, but it was fun nevertheless.

No but flogging around in a Lycosaurus gas guzzler isn't the most green way of getting around either....;)

mad_jock
21st May 2012, 13:38
Its not illegal as such.

There are a few people have it on private strips and some airfields have it for emergency services flights. But they don't like it.

I was looking at a SMS relay controller last week wouldn't take much to get it to do airfield lighting. 100quid for the box and a Pay as you go sim card.

Dave Gittins
21st May 2012, 13:56
Hi MJ,

To be honest, I don't know one way or the other. I thought I recalled a fairly recent thread where somebody was adamant it was not an appropriate or authorised (according to the regs) use of voice radio within the air communications band.

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/469437-pilot-controlled-lighting.html#post6818864

Daft to me that it works brilliantly in the USA but seemingly cannot be used here (whether anybody would do anything if it got installed is another question).

mad_jock
21st May 2012, 14:25
That thread is about right to my knowledge.

Its not illegal but they won't let you do it :D

Pull what
21st May 2012, 14:36
Another consideration is that some airfields in Europe will charge you extra for the use of approach lighting.