PDA

View Full Version : DXB,here we go again...so no finger allowed ??!!

R6DXB
20th May 2012, 18:46
gulfnews : Dubai court upholds engineer's jail term (http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/crime/dubai-court-upholds-engineer-s-jail-term-1.1025027)
:ugh:

777forever
20th May 2012, 19:04
Don't do anything in Dubai you wouldn't do in church and you'll be ok

Flyingstig
20th May 2012, 21:28
It's a well known "No No" in the Gulf!

ironbutt57
21st May 2012, 04:56
Do that to the wrong person in many USA cities, and you might get a death sentence...do it to a cop, and for sure you're headed to the pen, least for a bit....

White Knight
21st May 2012, 06:06
DXB,here we go again...so no finger allowed ??!!

You say this as if you're surprised!!! It's always been this way here... Nasty habit to do it anywhere I think:=

TangoUniform
21st May 2012, 14:16
Ok to endanger lives and property while driving 160 in one's flash dash and get a little fine, but don't be "disrespecting" unkowns. Hey all he was doing was letting them know they were number 1. What's the problem?

Of course in some areas of the world, this :ok:means the same. Perhaps this little icon should be removed for being offensive.

ualgrizz
21st May 2012, 16:14
Iron:

What are you talking about...you are not going to jail in the US for giving a center finger salute...maybe shot or citation, but not jail.

R6DXB
21st May 2012, 16:42
Really WK ? Guess you got it now ;)
Still remember that one on the SZR, hey but they did not flash the finger to the cops...
Dubai Shaikh Zayed Road 2 wheel driving stunt drivers arrested - YouTube

ENFP
21st May 2012, 22:51
I can't remember any occasion in any country where I have given the 'bird', to anyone at any time, maybe at some point as a 12 year old in the play ground perhaps. I don't understand why anyone would risk a major confrontation with locals over an anger management issue.

In many parts of SE Asia many locals and farmer types carry small arms, if you give them the bird at traffic lights or wherever they will shoot you dead in your seat and will then happily let the police lead them away to jail. They may be out in 3-4 years if they plead guilty and there have been occasions where the judiciary have not given a custodial sentence as they buy into the argument that there was extreme provocation. Just don't do it, no point arguing about it. It's part of the 'terms and conditions' of living a tax free life in the Middle east and Asia.

145qrh
22nd May 2012, 06:31
Don't know the particulars of this case but one of the big issues is that you don't actaully have to give a local the bird to get jailed.

They only have to claim that you did, and when it comes to court, guess which way it's going to go ? I'll give you a hint - expat loses every time
and even though there was no-one there, one of his 14 brothers will have seen it.

and as the Arab saying goes - "if you don't like it, leave":D

Gulfstreamaviator
22nd May 2012, 08:36
Upsetting a local, or his brother is the offence.

The accident was your fault, because if you had not been stationary at the traffic lights, and blocking my way I would not have hit you as I jumped the red lghts......

glf

alwayzinit
23rd May 2012, 14:13
Strongly recommend the purchase of in car video cameras front and rear next time in Singapore. Not cheap but provides a very compelling augument when presented.

They are about 1.5 ins square and have a memory card. on my shopping list for my next trip.:ok: