PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Theory

PrestonPilot
20th May 2012, 13:18
Hi all, I'm starting CTC soon and have a few months before it starts so was wondering if there is anywhere I can get hold of the notes/syllabus for the ATPL Theory exams, might as well start learning early if I can.

redout
20th May 2012, 13:32
Perhaps call CTC and see if they will forward the books though I cant see them doing that without payment. Alternatively you buy some ATPL books from the likes of Transair. The Oxford ones cost about £650. Also Propilot and Bristol have iPad offerings which can be used instead of the books. This is handy by the way. I remember doing my groundschool and having to lug around those big books was a right pain in the arse. You could ask CTC if they will deduct the cost of the books from the course if you go ahead and purchase them yourself.

PrestonPilot
20th May 2012, 13:39
From what I understand CTC is all done on CBT so no books I think. I won't be spending that much money on books haha, thanks though

Dick Whittingham
20th May 2012, 16:05
Try atpforum.eu. when I last looked someone was selling the complete Oxford kit

RichardH
20th May 2012, 16:27
PrestonPilot best of luck with your course at CTC.

When I was the SGI for them in New Zealand they were using the Bristol notes/CBT and believe that is still the case. I personally would not waste money buying another set of ATPL notes as the Bristol ones are fine.

You didn't say whether you are on an "integrated" or "modular" course and is the ground school going to be classroom based (as it was NZ) or more self-study.

Though in general getting ahead of the game is a good idea it can lead to wasted effort. I remember one student wrote 7 pages of notes taking several hours on Polar Charts which after I explained it came down to 7 lines! Stick to overall concepts not detail PRIOR to the course.

Student weak area tend to be in General Navigation and in particular the use of the whiz wheel (CRP-5 et al). Whiz wheel skill is VITAL to GN. If you can nail this before the start this would be time and money well spent.