PDA

View Full Version : Vets should be awarded the Jubilee Medal.......

Dundiggin'
20th May 2012, 10:52
I reckon that some if not all of those vets who have served Her Majesty in the time of her Reign should be entitled to the Jubilee Medal.

There must be thousands of vets who have servied upwards of
30+yrs defending HM The Queen Elizabeth II who would feel hard done by if they aren't given the medal.

I do not know what the award parameters are but if the vets are not included be prepared for a large amount of unhappy comments........:(

NutLoose
20th May 2012, 11:00
Where would you stop, you could say the same for the Silver one too.

Finnpog
20th May 2012, 11:05
Don't forget the farriers either!:ok::ugh:

StopStart
20th May 2012, 11:08
For all that work they've done looking after the Corgis...?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
20th May 2012, 11:13
don't want a joke medal, thanks.

brakedwell
20th May 2012, 11:14
As long as the Family get them what else matters?

Jimlad1
20th May 2012, 12:16
I wasnt born in WW2, but I feel that as someone who grew up on a diet of Commando and Warlord comics, I am entitled to my WW2 medals.

Please tell me how I can apply for them as I predict millions of people will be angry at not being entitled to a medal for a war in which they didnt serve.

Airborne Aircrew
20th May 2012, 12:41
Come now Jimlad... Don't be so hard on them, I'm sure thay would have served in WWII if someone had asked them... :}

Dundiggin'
20th May 2012, 12:48
Well I can see that cynicism and sarcasm seem to rule the roost on here! Unlike you Jimlad1 I did serve in the various punchups within HM's Reign.
My point is that if current serving personnel are awarded the medal for just being 'currently in the service' and those veterans who served in the major part of the 60yrs along with all the conflicts are not awarded it then I would feel justifiably aggrieved.
As far as matey from Canada regards the medal as a 'joke', that's your problem. Perhaps you've been eating too many bananas! :ok:
I would regard the medal as suitable commemoration of my service in the RAF during a uniquely and highly successful Reign of HM.
It would be an honour to receive the medal.

brakedwell
20th May 2012, 12:54
You need to dig a bit deeper, Dundiggin' :)

NutLoose
20th May 2012, 13:00
There is always eBay, UK PLC is skint, we have as much chance of getting this through as Gordon Brown has of becoming PM again?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
20th May 2012, 13:05
My point about medals was not about the deserving souls who would wear it with pride, but about all the others it will be awarded to. I can think of quite a few people wearing Jubilee Medals I have served with whom I wouldn't trust to run a bath.
Ultimately, when one is a member of a medal order, one has to be proud to be in it. I would not be proud to wear an award which has eligibility criteria which exclude a considerable number of people who ought to get it, and lets in a considerable number who oughtn't.

airborne_artist
20th May 2012, 13:07
I am entitled to both. If I turned up to a reunion wearing them it would get very expensive - I'd have to buy a very large round and I'd also have a large dry-cleaning bill.

These are comedy medals - real medals are for genuine acts of bravery, while for real acts of service there are MBEs etc. I know that not all who deserve such awards receive them, but that's life.

If Liz is still on the throne in ten and/or fitteen years there will be another one I suppose :ugh:

brakedwell
20th May 2012, 13:10
If UK plc can't afford to issue a Jubilee medal to one and all don't issue it. On the other hand, those who are keen to add another medal to their collection could have one if they paid for it, plus P&P of course.

NutLoose
20th May 2012, 13:12
Some MBE's and knighthoods are far from deserved, only have GSM myself and would never wear it.

Jimlad1
20th May 2012, 14:19
"Well I can see that cynicism and sarcasm seem to rule the roost on here! Unlike you Jimlad1 I did serve in the various punchups within HM's Reign."

Sorry to dissapoint you Dun, but I'm afraid that I've also served in various punch ups too and have just got a shiney jubilee medal to add to my voluptuous rack :E

Airborne Aircrew
20th May 2012, 14:54
and have just got a shiney jubilee medal to add to my voluptuous rack

Pictures please... Of the voluptuous rack of course...:}

Seldomfitforpurpose
20th May 2012, 15:19
These are comedy medals - real medals are for genuine acts of bravery

Absolutely spot on :ok:

Shack37
20th May 2012, 15:22
Some MBE's and knighthoods are far from deserved, only have GSM myself and would never wear it.

Can't argue with the sentiments expressed before the comma and having been demobbed in 1971 I have no wish for any Jubilee medals issued whilst being a civilian. I also ONLY have a GSM but would be proud to wear it if the occasion required because some guys and girls died having qualified for nothing higher.

foldingwings
20th May 2012, 15:26
Oh fergodsek, didn't we do this month's ago! Nobody wanted one then and nobody (who's out) wants one now!

Not everybody in '77 got one (12 per unit I recall), not everybody got one in 2002 (had to be serving and have 5 years +) and the same applies today, I believe! So why should a veteran, even if he/she left just last year, get one!

Why would you want a medal that you have no uniform to wear it on! (rhetorical)

Foldie:E

Seldomfitforpurpose
20th May 2012, 15:32

Foldie:E

My thoughts exactly :ok:

lj101
20th May 2012, 15:44
Well I can see that cynicism and sarcasm seem to rule the roost on here! Unlike you Jimlad1 I did serve in the various punchups within HM's Reign.
My point is that if current serving personnel are awarded the medal for just being 'currently in the service' and those veterans who served in the major part of the 60yrs along with all the conflicts are not awarded it then I would feel justifiably aggrieved.
As far as matey from Canada regards the medal as a 'joke', that's your problem. Perhaps you've been eating too many bananas!
I would regard the medal as suitable commemoration of my service in the RAF during a uniquely and highly successful Reign of HM.
It would be an honour to receive the medal.

Dun

You can have mine if you want it.

Jimlad1

What selection do you have then? Not a loaded question BTW, just curious.

brakedwell
20th May 2012, 15:44

Medals look good on Paisley Pyjamas! :E

NutLoose
20th May 2012, 15:55
I superglue mine to my bare chest..

Can't argue with the sentiments expressed before the comma and having been demobbed in 1971 I have no wish for any Jubilee medals issued whilst being a civilian. I also ONLY have a GSM but would be proud to wear it if the occasion required because some guys and girls died having qualified for nothing higher.

Shack mate, mine was for NI and to be honest does not compare to the one presented to those in the Army, I would not consider myself in any danger at Aldergrove for 6 weeks so as I have said previously I would be embarrassed to wear it in the company of those that earned theirs.... My personal feeling, that is all.

Tankertrashnav
20th May 2012, 16:27
If Liz is still on the throne in ten and/or fitteen years there will be another one I suppose :ugh:

Blimey, thats a point, A-A, and given her mother's longevity, it's not out of the question that HM will be around for many years yet. There's no precedent for any jubilee beyond a diamond one for 60 years - I suppose it would be the same as weddings, in which case the next jubilee in ten year's time would be a platinum one (although I somehow doubt if the medals would be!)

I wear my single South Arabia GSM with pride Nutloose - why not, I got a very bad touch of sunburn on the beach at Steamer Point earning it!

Union Jack
20th May 2012, 16:32
I wear my single South Arabia GSM with pride Nutloose - why not, I got a very bad touch of sunburn on the beach at Steamer Point earning it!

Sunburn, TTN? Sunburn? At least I shed blood in Aden - at the beach club when I stubbed my toe on some coral .....:ouch:

Jack

Old-Duffer
20th May 2012, 17:37
TTN,

You're a war hero - I well remember you carrying the homemade squadron standard at the QB parade in HK 1968 with hoards of chattering chinese who ensured we didn't hear any words of command. The only time they shut their gobs was when the Gurkhas on the roof above them, fired the 'ripple volley' - I would use the French name but I can't spell it!

Just having to listen to that silly Irish Guards Drill Sgt called Murphy try to treat us like a bunch of thick squaddies was enough to warrant gongs all round. I took my girlfriend and her brother to Repulse Bay for the rest of the day - goodness it was hard work being in HK in those days.

O-D

Tankertrashnav
20th May 2012, 19:36
Old Duffer - amazing - I was only telling that story to an old Hong Kong hand the other day. I think that "Sexy Rexy" - OC RAF Kai Tak or "Commander RAF, Hong Kong" as he styled himself, got a mild bollocking from FEAF for ordering the parading of a home-made "standard", but I don't think he cared - he wasn't going to see the pongoes and fish-heads parading theirs while the RAF went on with nothing to wave.

Mrs TTN had our "honeymoon" at the Repulse Bay Hotel (well we did get married the following year!) As you say, a tough posting and worthy of a campaign medal!

Oh, it's feu de joie , btw ;)

Always a Sapper
20th May 2012, 19:42
Another bill for getting the things court mounted. I wouldnt mind if it was just for the new one but they stick you for each one in the row!

Don't even mention the minatures

Shack37
20th May 2012, 22:07

Sunburn, TTN? Sunburn? At least I shed blood in Aden - at the beach club when I stubbed my toe on some coral .....http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/shiner.gif

Indeed, that sun was exceeding hot, then again you shouldn't have touched it. Mate of mine slid down the oil slick on a Shack wing and I helped him up so I think we qualify. I also cut myself shaving a time or two:{

Old-Duffer
21st May 2012, 08:45
................. as a complete swerve off course.

Given the exchange between TTN and self, thought I'd include the account below which describes the home made 28 Sqn standard. I wrote it several years ago for the 28 Sqn historian.

THE HOME-MADE 28 SQUADRON STANDARD

The summer of 1967 saw an increase in civil unrest in Hong Kong as an overspill of the Cultural Revolution which was sweeping through China. The Hong Kong Police were hard pressed to contain the trouble and the garrisoned Army units were not fully equipped for IS operations, with few rotary winged assets to help rapid deployment or to patrol the sea lanes and outlying islands. A decision was made to send a small force of Whirlwind helicopters to the colony and to base these at RAF Kai Tak and in due course, 6 aircraft arrived aboard HMS Triumph and were flown off by 103 Sqn crews led by Sqn Ldr F D H. Until the Spring of 1968, this detachment was manned by crews of 103 and 110 Sqn in rotation but it was eventually decided to make the presence permanent and to elevate the detachment to sqn status. There was much ‘gum sucking’ as to which sqn number plate should be used: the rotary wing lobby favoured 194, the first helicopter sqn to operate in the Far East but the fighter pilot lobby wanted 28 Sqn, which had been in Hong Kong for many years until its disbandment in January 1967. The latter carried the day and the plans proceeded apace to regularise the arrangement.

When 28 Sqn had disbanded its standard was laid-up in St Clement Danes church and OC RAF Kai Tak and SRAFO Hong Kong: Gp Capt Harvey Rex Williams, was anxious that the standard should be returned to the colony as soon as possible so that it might be paraded on the occasion of the Queen’s Birthday Parade. This author was placed on stand by to go to UK to collect the standard and return it to Hong Kong but Rex Williams had reckoned without the inertia of MOD and the Service clergy. It soon became apparent that the standard would not be returned and so Gp Capt Williams then asked HQ Far East Air Force to provide a standard and standard party from a sqn in Singapore – I think at the time there were 10!! Again there was a negative response but Williams was not a man to be beaten and with the bit firmly between his teeth, he declared that; ‘we will make our own! Visions of courts martial for misuse of funds and such like, flashed through the minds of those of us with a more sober view but the stn cdr sketched out a rough design which had the pole manufactured and varnished in workshops with a brass cap from the same place. The tassels and rope came from a curtain shop whilst the standard itself was made by the station tailor using several RAF ensigns of different sizes to give the necessary dimensions and weight required. A leather shoulder belt, into which was stitched a brass pocket, was also machined. To cover those events when we needed to rehearse our drill, another pole with a grey GS blanket was produced.

The preparations for the first outing of 28 Sqn’s homemade standard were by now proceeding apace. My role as potential standard bearer had been taken on by Fg Off AMc (now – TankerTrashNav) RAF Kai Tak’s Regiment officer and the stn Guard of Honour party, of which I was in charge - because I had been the only junior officer with a serviceable No: 6 when the job came vacant - was doubled in size and Flt Lt JA appointed to command what was now the RAF contingent for the Queen’s Birthday Parade. Our own rehearsals had gone quite well but eventually we had to mix it with the Royal Navy, in the form of a crew from a Leander class frigate and two contingents from the Army’s Welch Regiment, who would parade both their Queen’s and Regimental colours. The parade was to be run by the Garrison Sergeant Major, a surprisingly short and rather stocky chap called Murphy. The Army had a habit of sending priority signals for events taking place weeks ahead and since these seemed to be timed to arrive in the middle of the night, Orderly Officers at Kai Tak rarely had a peaceful night’s sleep. Routine signals, however, seemed to invariably arrive so timed as to throw our arrangements into disarray or to be too late to influence what we had already done. This arrangement was played to the full during the run up to the parade: the RAF turned up in working dress, when the GOC Hong Kong was due to inspect us and we carried our ‘blanket on a stick’ when we were supposed to bring the ‘real thing’ – causing much mirth amongst the airmen as the great and good crashed to attention to salute the colours and standards as they passed, including our own ‘rag’ bringing up the rear.

Sergeant Major Murphy quickly became a target for the airmen in the contingent for as he ‘dressed’ them, he would always move them forward and then send them back again, just so we could hear his voice. It soon followed that the lads would merely shuffle on the spot when he dressed them forward and then do exactly the same when he sent them back again but Murphy never seemed to twig this. They also went out of their way to appear as casual as possible whenever he appeared and although he was always addressed as ‘Sir’, he was never accorded the stiff formality he enjoyed from our Army colleagues.

One element of the parade which was not rehearsed until the final Dress Rehearsals was the Gurkha firing party, who would line the roof of a single floored shelter at the rear of the parade ground and fire a couple of volleys in salute. When the parade formed up, they would march to their position on the roof and do their business at the due time. Nobody, however, had thought to find a way to get them on the roof in the first place! Salvation came in the form of a giraffe ladder which was rushed across to Hong Kong in a tank landing craft and eased into position in the dead of night, proving remarkably difficult to get round some tight corners.

On the day, the parade marched on to an entirely unexpected problem; the area behind the parade and beneath the shelter, was filled with the noisiest crowd of Chinese civilians one could have encountered anywhere and they chattered constantly throughout the parade, making it impossible to hear any of the commands from the parade commander. Fortunately, we were well drilled and knew the sequence but although absolute concentration was needed the sounds from behind us were hugely distracting. There was some small revenge exacted, however, when the Gurkhas on the shelter roof fired their volley and caused momentary alarm amongst the civilians beneath who had no idea that there was anybody above them. Eventually we marched off. As the supernumerary officer in the RAF contingent I was last off and, in the days before it was the done thing to clap, it was with some sense of relief that the incessant din was replaced by the tread of marching feet and we disappeared into the nearby Naval base.

In the years which followed, I often related the saga of the homemade standard and it was only my ability to produce the photographic evidence, that saved me from redicule; one notable disbeliever being the then OC Queen’s Colour Squadron for whom the whole idea seemed like some major heresy. Eventually, 28’s standard appeared and the home-made variant became the ‘practice standard’. I often wonder whether it survived and if today it lies hidden deep in the bowels of a storeroom at Benson!

Old Duffer

teeteringhead
21st May 2012, 09:10
To return to the thread and the subject of medals (although 'twas a fascinating story O-D) ...

... as I have heard said at a secret helicopter base in Hampshire: round ones don't count!

sitigeltfel
21st May 2012, 09:19
I shed copious amounts of blood in NI to merit my GSM. One of my fingernails was torn off during an altercation with the mess door. This was quickly followed by me being stabbed in the nether regions by a sadistic medic with a tetanus injection.

Melchett01
21st May 2012, 09:20
round ones don't count!

Is that why McDonalds issues stars?

Cornish Jack
21st May 2012, 10:32
Where's Muttley when he's needed most?????:yuk:

Old-Duffer
21st May 2012, 11:07
TTH,

I must disagree - but in the nicest possible way of course, with our friends at the secret base in Hants.

Distinguished Conduct Medal, Distinguished Service Medal, Military Medal, Queens' Gallantry Medal, George Medal and the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal (Flying), all of which - especially the GM and the QGM - have living holders of same, who wear these proudly and they are round. May I suggest that a sharp cuff around the ears of any who decry these awards, would be suitable punishment.

Let us also not forget that there are many recommendations which bring forth diddly squat. A colleague of mine is currently researching 'failed' recommendations for the Victoria Cross. In some cases these were 'adjusted' to allow for a lesser award, in others they resulted in a mention in despatches but often and sadly some brought forth absolutely no recognition whatsoever.

Old Duffer

Clockwork Mouse
21st May 2012, 11:14
Sorry. Don't agree veterans should qualify for the Jubilee Medal just because they are veterans. It is not a campaign medal or gallantry award. It is a decoration issued to commemorate an important national occasion and is going to those uniformed public servants currently in service who have served a minimum length of time. Can't see anything wrong, unfair or shameful in that. It has historical precedent and is to be welcomed.
What unfortunately has damaged the credibility of the process was the divisive and illogical decision, probably bean-counter driven, to limit the scale of issue of previous Jubilee Medals to a very few and to leave selection of the recipients to units. You couldn't invent a more unfair process, and one to inspire discord, if you tried.
I feel they have got it right this time. Those who get it should wear it with pride in honour of the occasion and of our monarch to whom we owe our allegiance.

teeteringhead
21st May 2012, 11:19
O-D of course you are right! Indeed Milady Teeters had a cousin who won a DCM in North Africa, but was sadly killed in an RTA (completely non-operationally) there a year or so later.........

I fear the youth in Hampshire have little sense of history, although the last ever (almost certainly) DFM was won by one of their number in the First Gulf Unpleasantness.

And I hear that the BEM is making a comeback!

Chugalug2
21st May 2012, 11:21
Old Duffer:
... it was only my ability to produce the photographic evidence, that saved me from redicule
Well there's a petard ready to do some hoisting! Publish it here Sir, or be forever open to redicule!

Ivan Rogov
21st May 2012, 13:13
Vets should be awarded the Jubilee Medal.......

Only if they look after her Corgis :}

Door, coat, I know....................

Jimlad1
21st May 2012, 13:27
"Let us also not forget that there are many recommendations which bring forth diddly squat"

Couldnt agree more. On his death we were clearing through my grandfathers belongings (Infantry vet WW2, various campaigns under his belt). We came across a medal recommendation for bravery relating to an incident we'd never been told about before in Europe in 44. The citation described an incident involving minefields, explosions and some fairly ballsy activity that judging by todays criteria, would certainly have gotten him something. The write up was for a Military Medal, although it was never staffed further. I sometimes wonder whether this was due to it being lost in the system, or because he'd been a less than perfect soldier at other times, or because such actions were relatively commonplace then.

There are many people out there who did some very brave things, and sadly most of them will never be recognised due to reasons beyond their control.

Genstabler
21st May 2012, 16:11
I agree strongly with Clockwork Mouse on this. The current arrangements seem fair and sensible. Its not like the RBL medals for National Service, Cold War etc etc. Any serviceman or woman who sells his QJM on eBay like those blokes in the Fire Service is a disgrace to the uniform.

Jackonicko
21st May 2012, 19:52
My late father served from 1942-78, and was an ADC to HM at the time of the Silver Jubilee. He already had a Coronation Medal, an MVO and the usual row of wartime gongs, and didn't get, expect, want, or worry about a silver Jubilee gong. He did get a couple of bizarre medals from the Russians long after he retired, though, for his part in guarding the convoys in the 'Great Patriotic War'.

Alber Ratman
21st May 2012, 19:58
Like the bizarre medals I got from Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, 20 years ago.. Never worn and never taken out of the hall drawers,,,:E

Tankertrashnav
21st May 2012, 21:43
The difference between these two pairs of "bizarre" medals is that the Soviet medals are authorised for wear with British medals, whereas the Saudi and Kuwaiti medals are not, so you are quite correct in not wearing them Alber! The USSR awarded 40th, and then 50th Anniversary of the Great Patriotic War Medals to survivors of the Russian convoys, many years before their service was recognised by the British authorities by the award of the Pole Star emblem worn on the Atlantic Star ribbon.

NutLoose
21st May 2012, 21:48
Wasn't there a Rhodesian medal also that was a drawer filler and couldn't be worn?

Tankertrashnav
21st May 2012, 21:49
Publish it here Sir, or be forever open to redicule!

I've got the same photographic evidence. However it appears to show a slim(ish) regiment officer in a No 6 parading with aforementioned "standard" It cant possibly be me, so I'm not going to publish it!

Re The Rhodesia Medal - this was an official medal awarded for service in 1979/1980 during the lead-up to Zimbabwean independence. Definitely authorised for wear, or if you prefer you can always flog it - on the rare occasions they come up for sale they can make around £500!

November4
21st May 2012, 22:02
Seems the QDJ medal including box is going for around £50- £80 on a well known online auction site.

Some veterans want the medal yet some of those who have got it...don't want it and would rather have a few pounds.

OK I know it's most likely that it is the police / fire / prison services who are flogging them off.

Dunky
22nd May 2012, 09:43
I agree that they have the criteria right for the QDJ medal. I'll be happy enough to get mine, even though I'll have to get them all court mounted again, (nothing special, just the campaign ones etc), and apart from one day a year, sit in a drawer all year round.

Old-Duffer
22nd May 2012, 19:41
ChugaLug,

If I could only crack how to get the d7*n (d@*n) thing to upload, I would be delighted to publish it but having subscribed to a site that was supposed to allow me to do just that - it don't happen!

TTH,

Strictly speaking, the gong the man at the secret base in Hampshire got in GWI is oval - not round. I often said that the then prime minister, who agreed the changes in circa 1994, was only interested in making the non-commissioned ranks equal to the commissioned ones - not the other way round. I also know that there were a fairly large body of non-commissioned members of the Gallantry Medalists League who were furious at the changes which they saw as just social engineering.

Perhaps my most embarrassing moment in the medal 'scandal' was when I took precedence - still serving - over a retired officer at an event. He had more gallantry medals/crosses at the start of an impressive array than I had from raiding the cornflakes packet to collect the tokens for my little lot.

Old Duffer

Dundiggin'
22nd May 2012, 22:00
I believe there were two medals from the Rhodesian elections. One was the Ceasefire Monitoring Force medal which I believe is worth a few bob and the other one dubbed the 'deckchair' medal which was a Rhodesia national medal which one wasn't allowed to wear unless in the Rhodesian Embassy or in the presence of someone important from Rhodesia or some such restriction.

Seldomfitforpurpose
22nd May 2012, 22:39
Seems the QDJ medal including box is going for around £50- £80 on a well known online auction site.

Outstanding, wonder what my other baubles are worth to the needy folk :ok:

Tashengurt
22nd May 2012, 23:37
I picked up my QDJM last week. I note it doesn't come with the enamelled ribbon or a ribbon for No.1s. Cutbacks I guess. I got mine for Police service and the previous for combined RAF and Police service. They'll sit beside my GW1 medal and I'll happily wear both, they show I've done more than sit on my a**e watching TV every day.

Scuttled
23rd May 2012, 01:56
Tashengurt.

:D

November4
23rd May 2012, 11:09
Outstanding, wonder what my other baubles are worth to the needy folk

Well...as a guide, and depending on your view, if you can put a value on your medals....

GSM 62
£60-85 NI Clasp
£170-0225 Dhofar Clasp
£400-450 Kuwait Clasp
£350-450 N Iraq & S Turkey Clasp
£350-450 Air Ops Iraq

OSM
£400-500 RAF

ACSM
£300-400

Rhodesia Medal
£350-450

South Atlantic
£500-600 RAF (with rosette)
£350-450 RAF (without)

Gulf Medal
£250-350 (with clasp)
£175-250(without)

Saudi Arabian
£20

Kuwaiti
£20-30 (third and fourth class)

Iraq Medal
£300-350 (With clasp)
£125-175 (without)

NATO service medals
£12-15

RAF LS&GC
£50-60

Silver Jubilee
£160-185

Golden
£70-80

(Prices from the Medal Yearbook 2011)

Using this guide, many servicemen on parade have well over a £1000 on their chest.

Whenurhappy
23rd May 2012, 12:14
And some - a bit like intelligence, greater than the sum of the parts. A tanker nav I know - still serving - has practically everything from the Falklands Medal until OSM for AFG (oh, and now the QDJM). I suspect his rack is probably worth about GBP 15K.

Tankertrashnav
23rd May 2012, 16:07
And don't forget campaign medals named to officers attract a premium of at least 50% on top of the prices quoted by November4

And quite right too ;)

NutLoose
23rd May 2012, 17:12
And RAF GSM's attract a premium over the Army version as they are rarer. I suppose the RN GSM NI attracts a premium over the RAF one as well.

November4
23rd May 2012, 17:38
The Medal Year book makes no mention of a difference in price for the GSMs due to RAF/Army/RN.

For the OSM though:
£600-800 Cavalry
£400-500 Line Regts
£300-400 Corps
£400-500 RM
£400-500 RAF

South Atlantic
£700-850 Army (7,000 issued)
£1000-1350 Scots and Welsh Guards
£1750-2500 Para
£650-750 RN (13,000 issued)
£1100-1400 RM (3,700)
£450-550 RFA (2,000)
£500-650 Merchant Navy and Civilians (2,000)
£650-800 Ghurkha
£500-650 RAF (2,000)

Dundiggin'
23rd May 2012, 20:28
So what do you think the Rhodesia Ceasefire Monitoring Force Medal is worth? Bearing in mind there were only 1000 issued?

November4
23rd May 2012, 20:47
If it's this one

http://www.peacekeepers.asn.au/operations/awards/Rhodesia.jpg

Rhodesia Medal
£350-450

In December 1979, the CMF was established by the Commonwealth to supervise the implementation of the Lancaster House Agreement between the government of Southern Rhodesia and the guerilla forces of the Patriotic Front. Under the agreement UK authority was restored over its rebellious colony and a ceasefire implemented. A general election followed and independence was achieved by the new Republic of Zimbabwe.

The role of the multi-national force was to keep the peace between 22,000 guerrillas and the Rhodesian forces during the cease-fire run-up to the 1980 elections. The CMF was tasked with monitoring the agreement and resembled a UN observer mission except that its duties were more extensive, it enjoyed municipal backing.

CMFR (http://www.peacekeepers.asn.au/operations/CMFR.htm)

If it is then there were 2,500 issued according to ARRSE (http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Rhodesia_Medal). I can't find any other Rhodesia medal in the book.

Tankertrashnav
23rd May 2012, 22:06
Was in the medal trade for 30 odd years and its true that certain medals will be scarcer to one or other of the services. Nutloose is right, NI GSM to RN is pretty scarce - very common to the army, but one to the Paras would still fetch a hefty premium over one to the RAF.

Its very difficult to give an accurate across the board valuation for any given medal as lots of factors will apply. Within the RAF, for example, medals to aircrew will fetch more than those on the ground, FJs more than transport/rotary etc, and in general the more senior the rank of the recipient, the more expensive the medal. Whether you think any of that is justified is immaterial - that's just market forces.

Shack37
23rd May 2012, 22:11
South Arabia GSM with NI clasp. Going, going.............
OK, I'll keep it.

Any offers for inter station boxing medals?
OK, I'll keep them too.

Is there a Rhodesian medal for service in Majunga?

Dundiggin'
24th May 2012, 03:08
Many thanks for putting me right on the Ceasefire Monitoring Force medal........OK I'll keep it.

Shack 37...In answer to your question re Majunga qual the answer is no as you no doubt got the 'Trois Cheveaux Bar' to your Madame Chapeau attendance medal..........:}

Shack37
24th May 2012, 15:36
Shack 37...In answer to your question re Majunga qual the answer is no as you no doubt got the 'Trois Cheveaux Bar' to your Madame Chapeau attendance medal..........http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

And an almost "Flowerpot Coronation" for imitating Pavarotti very late at night in town:eek:

Dundiggin'
24th May 2012, 21:02
I wish I understood that!!

Shack37
24th May 2012, 21:53
Shack37...
I wish I understood that!!

In the early days before Camp Britannique was constructed we had accommodation in Majunga town. Our neighbours in the upper floors were "Les Francois Blanc" who understandably did not appreciate the late night entertainment we sometimes provided. Their occasional criticism took the form of dropping flowerpots from on high. Being younger and fitter then we usually escaped injury.

Apologies and end of thread drift.