PDA

View Full Version : CFI(H) - VISA - USA

ŽOS
19th May 2012, 23:03
Hey there!

I'm not sure if this question has been here before...so I'll give it a shot... I apologize if this is a re-post.

I just received my JAA CPL(H) and I've used up my VISA (J-1 at that time).

Is there NO-WAY on getting a new VISA that give's you the permit to work as an instructor after you've done you're CFI(H) in the states?

I want to do my CFI(H) but I don't have the minimum 250 hours to do the training in Europe and I don't know if there is a way to do it in the states?

I guess there is no point in doing the FAA CFI(H) If you don't have the permit to fly up to the 250 hours needed for the JAA CFI(H)?

What do you think, is there any way on doing this and please correct me if I'm wrong...

All the best to you!

chester2005
20th May 2012, 03:10
I believe an M1 visa will allow you to do the CFI training and allow you to continue and train people but not be paid for it.
I know thats how it used to be, but not sure if it still is.

Chester:ok:

Gomrath
20th May 2012, 16:22
I believe an M1 visa will allow you to do the CFI training and allow you to continue and train people but not be paid for it.
Incorrect. You may not work in the US on a M1 visa - paid or otherwise.

Hawkeye0001
21st May 2012, 20:27
A visa is quite expensive for the school, too. No one will give you a visa if you have just your FAA CFI(H) left to do.
My recommendation would be to look for a combined RW/FW training school and talk to them if you could join their course with an F1-visa (the replacement for the good old J1). Then go through their FW-program and do your CFI (H) in addition to that. After finishing up you are eligible to work in the states for 12 months (but you have to find a job within 60 days after finishing your training if I remember correctly).

You could also look for a degree program in aviation which allows you finish your CFI(H) and work on an F1 visa. There are options and loop holes and I know people who have done it (not me) but it takes some investigation and talking to the schools and colleges. I'm pretty sure though that you have to come up with a different reason than "I wanna work in the US" to make it work, i.e. "I found out that I totally love FW and want to do my addon and CFI! And CFI(H) on the side..." :8

M1 is def. not an option and is only valid for as long as your training takes.

Just out of curiousity: what took you 24 months to complete your CPL(H)? :uhoh: