PDA

View Full Version : I bet this took a bit of cleaning up!

Rhino power
19th May 2012, 20:50
whoops...
Flying in the clouds? NO... U.S. Air Force accidentally fills entire hangar with foam | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2146454/Flying-clouds-NO--U-S-Air-Force-accidentally-fills-entire-hangar-foam.html)

'Disclaimer' I don't read the daily fail, spotted this on the Fightercontrol forums

-RP (aka Daz)

Pontius Navigator
19th May 2012, 21:01
What again?

They mean fire suppressant foam actually used to suppress a fire was an accident? accidentally filled entirely with foam after a spark from a welder set released the fire suppression system

Pretty clearly the spark from the welder was the accident.

fantom
19th May 2012, 21:14
Is this a ten-year old (at least) incident or a repeat?

Rhino power
19th May 2012, 22:07
There is another one out there on t'internet, this time a hangar with Black Hawks taking a foam bath...

-RP (aka Daz)

MightyGem
20th May 2012, 05:19
I think the same happened in one of the Apache hangars at Wattisham some years ago.

RAFEngO74to09
20th May 2012, 19:24
Yet another at RAF Fairford in July 2007 - a bit of a fuss was caused when the foam went through the drains and ended up in the River Thames.

Foam in Thames, other waterways is traced to RAF Fairford - News - Stripes (http://www.stripes.com/news/foam-in-thames-other-waterways-is-traced-to-raf-fairford-1.66362)

The Oberon
20th May 2012, 20:01
There are times when the military can learn from civvy procedures. When I left the RAF I went to the oil and gas exploration industry and as a result spent time in hazardous areas both on and offshore. It was not uncommon to carry out welding and burning in areas where automatic fire systems were active. The answer, inhibit the automatic systems and have plenty of fire watchers available having first had a pre job safety brief where it was explained to everyone exactly what was going on.

GreenKnight121
21st May 2012, 07:54
Shutting off the automatic systems and posting "fire watch" (including on the other side of the bulkhead and under the deck") is standard procedure aboard USN vessels... I suppose that's another thing we need to teach the "chair farce".

:rolleyes:

AGS Man
21st May 2012, 09:12
This happened at a certain ME air base some years ago. A bored guard set off the fire alarm by breaking the glass. He denied it and said it went off on it's own and ended up in jail. If he'd been clever and said he thought he saw smoke he'd probably have got a medal and promoted!

PingDit
22nd May 2012, 16:50
Looks like it was last week as the Mail article is dated:

PUBLISHED: 11:16, 19 May 2012 | UPDATED: 11:35, 19 May 2012

'Aircraft hangar officials were left with a rather extensive clean-up job earlier this week after this foam-related mishap....'

Ping