PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Flame

BritAir
19th May 2012, 07:18
After the past week or so media coverage of the Olympic Flame I feel it finally settles the debate for whose service should control the UKs military aviation toys...

For simplicity for our impeccable media, the RAF should own/operate all military aviation. Therefore, after their meticulous research, they would not make little slips ups such as "RAF Culdrose", red & grey Sea King rescue credited to the RAF, any helicopter/aircrew belongs to the light blue service etc.

As for corporate knowledge, ability, ethos... and actually exercise in field conditions (train hard/realistically, fight easy) we'll forget about that. So brevets to all, no secondary duties, jobs for the boys and DFCs all round.

WE Branch Fanatic
19th May 2012, 07:48
For simplicity for our impeccable media, the RAF should own/operate all military aviation.

So this idea appeals to simpletons?

Archimedes
19th May 2012, 07:51
That's no way to talk about the Canadians, Dutch or Russians, WEBF...

Jambo Jet
19th May 2012, 08:06
I guess 'Dick Whittington' wasn't a RNAS Pilot either...
Shame 'Hugh Jardon' was not available today; I hear he is a good pilot

Pheasant
19th May 2012, 08:26
If it had been an RAF SAR cab delivering the flame to Land's End thay would have been late........too busy landing on a beach to buy ice creams!

Door Slider
19th May 2012, 11:00
It was after all an RAF crewman that completed the necessary paperwork and trials for the RN to fly the torch..........

Tankertrashnav
19th May 2012, 11:08
Waited outside my house to see it drive by - gave up after 15 minutes. Find out it was already 20 minutes late arriving at Helston.

Are the Olympics being sponsored by the train companies? :*

Obi Wan Russell
19th May 2012, 14:09
"It was after all an RAF crewman that completed the necessary paperwork and trials for the RN to fly the torch.......... "

Well we never said the RAF was completely useless! A glimpse of the future? The Royal Administration Force perhaps? :ok::E

Door Slider
19th May 2012, 14:46
Well we never said the RAF was completely useless! A glimpse of the future? The Royal Administration Force perhaps?

It's very sad but it does appear to be heading that way

FFP
19th May 2012, 15:11
Olympic Flame ? I thought this thread would have been about certain ME navigators as in they go around the world but never go out :E

PICKS135
19th May 2012, 16:54
Seems like a certain RN crew are taking the Michael :O:O

View topic - Casual inter-service banter (http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42996)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/f4phixeruk/3black1white.jpg

airborne_artist
19th May 2012, 17:07
BZ - top banter :E

Obi Wan Russell
19th May 2012, 18:18
I made my earlier remark in jest and meant no offence by it of course, but on reflection it is worrying that the RAF in particular (and the other services in their turn) are relegating fine, highly trained and competent aviators to 'desk jobs' as a result of the cuts (too few cockpits). I firmly believe all three armed services were under strength when the ConDems came to power and reducing our armed forces further benefits nobody. The treasury plays divide and conquer and we fall for it again and again. Lets hope better days are ahead of us...:(

Finnpog
19th May 2012, 18:27
@PICKS135.
Top photo. Well played.:ok::D:E

faarn
19th May 2012, 19:16
I guess 'Dick Whittington' wasn't a RNAS Pilot either... and here was I thinking it wasn't forum etiquette to discuss serving military personnel :ugh:

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/484662-prince-william-raf.html#post7175674

On second thoughts, probably an overreaction by me :O

NutLoose
20th May 2012, 07:59
I am beginning to wish I applied to carry the torch, there is one on eBay with the clothing at the moment at over £6000 delivered post use

London 2012 Olympic Torch | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/London-2012-Olympic-Torch-/230793999974?pt=UK_Sports_Memorabilia_ET&hash=item35bc64f666#ht_500wt_922)

:eek:

PICKS135
20th May 2012, 09:01
Thanks for the :D:D Finnpog. Wish it had been me who took it.

The link is to the person who took it / had it sent to them.

Adam Nams
20th May 2012, 09:46
Picks

Good one! :D

[Best get your camera lens sorted though, as it seems to be widening everything on the right..] :E

Tallsar
20th May 2012, 10:02
Well Done 771 - 101 is all I can say :D:D:D.... I am wondering too how well in-briefed Mr A was? That's one hell of a Cornetto he has...can you get one of those at the local corner shop?:E

BTW - I think a certain ice cream manufacturer should consider regular donations of product to all UK SAR bases forthwith!;)

Adam Nams
20th May 2012, 10:16
Careful Tallsar - Walls have ears!

foldingwings
20th May 2012, 10:24
I am beginning to wish I applied to carry the torch, there is one on eBay with the clothing at the moment at over £6000 delivered post use

Do I read this, and the article in the Sunday Telegraph that states that one such set is now up to £100K on e-Bay, right?

Do these sad people think that it's right, having had the honour (not sure that it is actually that) of carrying this torch that it is their rightful position to gain financially from doing so and to such an extent too!

What has this bloody society of ours come to!

Foldie:mad:

RS15
20th May 2012, 10:50
How did this get past the RAF exchange on 771? Disappointed! But unfortunately rather good banter. Let's hope Mr Ainslie seeks revenge for the stitch up :cool:

faarn
20th May 2012, 12:07
Do I read this, and the article in the Sunday Telegraph that states that one such set is now up to £100K on e-Bay, right?

I think it is up to or over £150,000 now and there seem to be a lot of people jumping on the band wagon. However, the first people to buy will, I'm sure, be gutted when they realise that the 8000th torch will only go for a fraction of this (I expect).

I have to say I was pretty :mad: off when I heard about it; some people benefitting so much from the privilege of bearing a torch. Thinking about it now, however, it could be a great revenue for the tax man, and doesn't Britain need it!!

Cracking down on internet sales: HMRC on the hunt for Ebay's biggest tax dodgers | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2143972/Cracking-internet-sales-HMRC-hunt-Ebays-biggest-tax-dodgers.html)

brakedwell
20th May 2012, 13:15
This sums up the 2012 games perfectly :E