PDA

View Full Version : Licence conversion

moreleftpedal
19th May 2012, 03:27
Hi guys, not sure if this is in the right place but here goes anyway.

I have an Australian PPL, with private instrument rating, about 250hours on the book, and I am moving back to Europe. My question is what is involved in converting my licence to JAR. I also have written CPL Air law, Ops perf and planning, AGK, and Aero. Still have NAV and Met to go. Will these passes be recognised or will I have to do it all again when I get there?

There must be heaps of PPL's out there who have done this!

maehhh
19th May 2012, 04:31
What country are you moving to moreleftpedal?

Converting the PPL should be the easiest part of the plan. You will need a medical, a R/T Licence, pass 1 or 2 exams, pass a skill test and deal with a lot of paperwork... but don't quote me on this there will be someone else here who actually did it and will know better.

However if we are talking about a private instrument rating and not a CIR then it is not recognized in JAA/EASA-land and you cannot convert it. So if you have all necessary FPAs on your PIFR think about doing the CIR checkride before you leave Australia to make it an ICAO rating. This won't save you from extensive ground school but reduces you conversion training to 15hrs (instead of 50hrs for a new IR).

Prop swinger
19th May 2012, 10:59
The exact requirements for converting to an EASA licence can be seen on p173 of this document (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/925530/EASA%20FCL.pdf).

moreleftpedal
24th May 2012, 23:03
Thanks guys, very helpful! Am going back to UK, but will ultimately end up in France.