PDA

View Full Version : Tea break?

oldjetbox
18th May 2012, 14:54
Seems like more and more "professional" pilots are utilising my taxes in interesting ways.
RAF rescue helicopter makes unexpected beach landing - so pilot can buy ice cream - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9274307/RAF-rescue-helicopter-makes-unexpected-beach-landing-so-pilot-can-buy-ice-cream.html)

Tableview
18th May 2012, 15:10
Considering the risks they take and the service they perform for the community, let's give them a bit of a break from the criticism. I hope they enjoyed their ice creams!

Senior Pilot
18th May 2012, 16:08
Much ado about nothing: hopefully the Olympic Torch may get the media attention instead?

An RAF source said the incident took place during a training sortie for a “relatively inexperienced co-pilot”.
After completing a number of flying exercises and the beach landing he was being debriefed by his Captain.
The source said: “During the period of the in-cockpit debrief one of the rear crew departed the aircraft for refreshments. Clearly, this is not a routine occurrence but the crew were not breaking any rules.”
A spokesman said: “SAR (search and rescue) crews complete a variety of training sorties when not completing life saving operations.
“Crews are often required to land on beaches during SAR operations and they regularly practise this skill as part of routine training sorties.
“Whilst the actions of the rear crew (not pilots as widely reported) to obtain refreshments during this sortie were not standard practice, it should be noted that they were not in breach of regulations.”

400hover
18th May 2012, 18:05
Why dont you confront that with the pilots on the day they save your skin??

Vie sans frontieres
18th May 2012, 18:55
How can double standards have been applied when they work for different bosses and fly to different sets of rules? :confused:

Bravo73
18th May 2012, 21:05
I smell a double standard here though?

coastguard crew were crucified for it.

'coastguard crew' were silly enough to not include the landing as part of a training trip.

Bravo73
18th May 2012, 21:34
you know that for sure?

Yes..........

MerryDown
18th May 2012, 21:57
Whether they are a CHC crew or RAF - So what !

Portrays perfectly the state of the UK with narrow minded "analism"

You are clearly a Daily Mail reader.

cyclic
18th May 2012, 22:02
Your taxes eh? I think most of them were given to a few bankers who have used them to buy helicopters. I hope your helicopter is ok and that you never need the boys in yellow. What a load of tosh, go whinge about something important and leave our Armed Services to their assorted ices. What a country we live in, I dispair....:ugh:

TisnTat
19th May 2012, 00:47
Sorry, i don´t care about taxes, if there is a life at stake!:ok:

As a former camera guy i´ve seen enough dead people. Some people reacting this way, others another one. Despite the sarcasm to protect yourself there is always a deep sympathy for the lost ones.

So what is the "percentage" of surviving passengers compared to ground transport? Why was air transport invented anyway? I don´t care about the costs, it could be me or you next time. :ok:

Just think about it and take the costs for all of us.

Thanks, Rainer :)

TisnTat
19th May 2012, 01:08
Me being too stupid to edit i feel free to add something!;)

Whenever a SAR Crew wants to get a meal outside or wants to pick up something for their barbeque i feel pleased to suite them! Their exercise, mine advantage when it comes to a real rescue. :D

Of course i´m a little bit out of the way :O

Yours, Rainer ;-D

iamthetroll
19th May 2012, 04:49
Instead of tapping into the nutty box down the back of the aircraft, they pulled over and the crew used their own pennies to buy something to keep them going. Had they eaten from the nutty box, it'd be replenished by the RAF using (oh good lord) YOUR taxes.

The way I see it, these men saved your taxes. You should thank them. :p

Perhaps you could wait until they save your, or a loved one's, life and thank then twice. :rolleyes:

unstable load
19th May 2012, 05:44
Could the " double standards" have anything to do with the civil CG mess being as a result of the competition hopping in and helping the controversy along a bit, while the Mil guys are by default, not in the firing line?
Or am I being a bit suspicious/paranoid?

PS, I don't work for any of the UK companies....:ok:

Justintime80
19th May 2012, 06:47
Bravo73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchefflay View Post
you know that for sure?
Yes..........

I think your answer should be NO :=

Justin

Al-bert
19th May 2012, 10:26
oldjetbox (http://www.pprune.org/members/353624-oldjetbox) I think that they (the icecream scoffers) were probably saving your precious taxes since they were engaged in a routine training sortie and would have burned less of the queens paraffin during their time on the beach. This would then be available for use in that 'oh so worthwhile war' in Stan in which rather a lot of MY taxes have been squandered!
Is ojb a senior officer I wonder or just a w**k*r?

ShyTorque
19th May 2012, 12:48
This thread just shows how the UK is becoming increasingly full of folk who spend their lives lying in wait to be outraged, especially if it involves "taking a pop" against those with more skill and ability, money, good fortune, good looks etc. Or an ice cream.

It's mainly just that old green eyed monster called jealousy again. :hmm:

Al-bert
19th May 2012, 13:11
Ironetc: 'coastguard crew were crucified for it.'

Crucified? Crucifixation, it's a doddle! :E

JAKL
19th May 2012, 14:08
Hope they have one of those 'may contain traces' government health warnings on the access doors.

Coconutty
20th May 2012, 07:23
Anyone know who the Ice Cream seller was ?

I might send him a fiver - so next time the crew don't have to spend their own hard earned,
heavily taxed wages this way, and can have a couple of 99's on me :ok:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconutty.jpg

SilsoeSid
20th May 2012, 08:53
I blame the media for demonising this sort of thing, its no different to the coppers pulling over for an icecream after all

Cool, I hope they'll bear that in mind when the sun starts to shine :ok:
Of course, the pilot is only the driver and simply does what they're told :p

Ice creams in flight, surely that's what autopilots and coupled ILS approaches were made for :ok:

John Eacott
20th May 2012, 11:57
Whereas if they'd only asked 771NAS :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/f4phixeruk/3black1white.jpg

Fareastdriver
20th May 2012, 13:07
A technical difference between the coastguard crew picking up their shopping and the RAF crew picking up their ice creams is a matter of where they landed.

The first landing was in a field, private property, where permission may or may not have been received. The second was on the beach. The land between high and low water mark belongs to the Queen. Therefore, her helicopter was landing on her property.

ironchefflay
20th May 2012, 22:06
the field the CG crew landed in belonged to the butcher.

ShyTorque
20th May 2012, 22:35
The bloke in white didn't get much ice cream in his cone, did he? :}

ralphmalph
24th May 2012, 00:45
Next time I get hungry or thirsty flying, I am going to land at the beach....it's legal.

ralphmalph
24th May 2012, 01:00
Or B...... What a load of bollocks. Who ever authed that, or self authed that should have known that today.....post the Puma Review (recommended reading as it is freely available) nobody can get away with ******* around......fact. Harsh, but to today's operators.....uncomfortably true!