PDA

View Full Version : 'Dreadful' Behaviour by SAR Crew

Whenurhappy
18th May 2012, 11:04
Surprised no one else has picked this non-story up yet:

RAF rescue helicopter makes unexpected beach landing - so pilot can buy ice cream - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9274307/RAF-rescue-helicopter-makes-unexpected-beach-landing-so-pilot-can-buy-ice-cream.html)

Mind, I'm surprised that the crew weren't arrested for indecency...

"In they walked with helmet in their hand and said, "It's alright we just want an ice cream."

OK, I'm bored and it's late on a Friday afternoon.

MrBernoulli
18th May 2012, 11:09
Can't see the problem, myself. Perhaps they had been having a long day, were tired and sweaty, and opted for a cool refreshment. They didn't land anywhere risky, it would appear, so good on them! :ok:

Whenurhappy
18th May 2012, 11:15
Yep, definitely a case of 'Nothing to see, now move along...'

Shack37
18th May 2012, 11:16
Can the ice creams go on expenses? Hope someone carried an imprest (sp).

JFZ90
18th May 2012, 11:16
3 Magnum Classics and one white chocolate Magnum.

Good choice.

Genstabler
18th May 2012, 11:22
Now wait for a massive overreaction from the publicity shy and risk averse RAF chain of command. Or am I being bitter and cynical?

Al R
18th May 2012, 11:29
Perhaps sackcloth needs to be issued for new flying suits.

I stand to be corrected, but I think an 84 pilot got clobbered for showing off to a load of sun worshippers in Cyprus, when the AOC was also grabbing some beams on the beach (Ray Offard, who died last year).

In fact, thinking about it, his wife won a new Honda in the 1984 Families Day Draw.. she drew the ticket too! I'm sure there would be a public enquiry and all manner of anti-corruption paperwork to be completed these days..

Sand4Gold
18th May 2012, 11:30
To quote King James III - "Nothing of importance happened today."

Great photo of Layla and Romany waving at the crew - a good news story.

S4G

Bannock
18th May 2012, 11:31
Mickey Ds at Penzance Heliport waiting for the fog to lift at Culdrose
and Fish and Chips at Fort William Car Park - Good times.
On both occaisions we never had to put our hand in our pockets.
Some hot food, a Chat with the natives with a quick tour of the Cab does wonders for Crew morale after a ****ty day.
If it was training flight and they ticked off a Beach landing stat - crack on.

Motleycallsign
18th May 2012, 11:45
I do hope the Capt and Co had different choices and ate them 90 mins apart.

NutLoose
18th May 2012, 11:53
3 Magnum Classics and one white chocolate Magnum.

Good choice.

How PC of them :E

Harley Quinn
18th May 2012, 11:54
The only person who appears to think there is an issue here is the OP.
Please just delete the thread

Al-bert
18th May 2012, 11:55
White chocolate magnum- must have been a girl in the crew!
"Would you like crushed nuts with that sir?" "No thanks, bloody seats uncomfortable enough as it is" :}

Rocket2
18th May 2012, 11:58
Lynn Mills, from Dereham, said:"....... it was very nice to see."
That sums that up then, especially the picture of the beaming look on the kids faces with their barely eaten classic & white chocolate magnum in their hands - did the crew buy them?
Good on yer guys.:ok:

snaggletooth
18th May 2012, 12:03
Hopefully the crew concerned will be getting a goody-box from a certain ice cream manufacturer for the free publicity, and a pat on the back from the powers that be... :ok:

Wait out...:E

Max Contingency
18th May 2012, 12:18
There, but for the grace of God, goes pretty much every military helicopter aviator I have ever met, myself included.

If this incident was correctly reported (and in the UK press that is normally a very big IF!!!) then the real issue here is the massive error of judgement by two officers and two SNCOs. I guarantee that crew will have known about the recent high profile incident of a SAR helicopter dropping in to collect some meat from the butchers. They may even know the pilot who was suspended as a result.

The UK is broke, people are eating at food banks and the RAF are using tax payers helicopters to go for ice cream. That's how the public will perceive this and 10 seconds of thought beforehand could have prevented it.

Message from SAR Force Commander to Helicopter Crew. Message reads: "sharpen up". Stronger message to follow? :=

charliegolf
18th May 2012, 12:31
3 Magnum Classics and one white chocolate Magnum

I am outraged in advance! I bet it was the enlisted s**t rope a dope who was excluded from the superior confectionary, and forced to mumble, "Oi knows me playce Guv." Disgraceful.

CG

JFZ90
18th May 2012, 12:33
I'm betting it was one of the hofficers that went for white chocolate.

We need to be told.

Al-bert
18th May 2012, 12:50
I would HAVE to be a girly co-pilot who had the white choccy! Betcha ;)

charliegolf
18th May 2012, 13:00
Al

Re-read that!:D

CG

sitigeltfel
18th May 2012, 13:22
The captain will henceforth be known as "Iceman". :}

Turkeyslapper
18th May 2012, 13:24
Nanny State syndrome! Yep, have to keep sucking the fun out of the job :ugh:

Not that long ago we landed a Huey in front of a pub on the beach in west Oz, crewie jumps out and strides into the pub with helmet still on. Short time later out he comes with a carton of beer on his shoulder and jumps in....happy times:ok:

Still, probably get in the sh$%t for that these days here in Oz as well!

Cheers

Al-bert
18th May 2012, 13:25
IT, I meant IT - missed me t, it often happens on SAR! :\

Pheasant
18th May 2012, 13:57
I am sure they briefed the mission and put it all in the auth sheets before they launched so all should be OK?

If not then they are stupid!

The Helpful Stacker
18th May 2012, 14:02
Is this really much different than say a police patrol pulling into a McDonalds 'drive thru' whilst out and about to get something to eat?

I'm sure that the SAR crew didn't leave base just to buy ice creams, it was just something they could do whilst on task.

A nothing story, well unless the press is going to start hounding the other emergency services who stop somewhere to get a bite to eat whilst in their work vehicle.:ugh:

Vampiredave
18th May 2012, 14:03
To quote King James III - "Nothing of importance happened today."

I thought that quote was attributed to George III?

Pontius Navigator
18th May 2012, 14:12
Harley, the OP was merely drawing the attention to the Torygraph. It will be in the Mail tomorrow if not yesterday.

Don't shoot the messager nor close a thread that is perfect for a bit of innocent banter.

AlR, 84 also used to drop off a 'survivor' at some inaccessible spot off the cliff. He would spend the day fishing and another crew would go find him. That theymight have seen some skinny dipping or sunbathing was entirely unconnected.

Sand4Gold
18th May 2012, 14:22
Vampiredave,

I stand corrected - thank you.

S4G

Sky-Plod
18th May 2012, 14:26
Good on them, nice bit of PR for the RAF SAR crews too.

althenick
18th May 2012, 14:47
Sky-Plod Good on them, nice bit of PR for the RAF SAR crews too.

Nail - Head! As long as it wasn't ouright abuse - ie - they decided to use the Cab purely for an Ice cream run, then whats the problem? Good PR. Only thing that I can think of is if the cab had went u/s due to the landing - eg - FOD. then I dare say the story and the future careers of the Aircrew would have taken a turn for the worse!

Al R
18th May 2012, 14:52
PN,

I once was 'it' with the delightful Debbie from PBX - alas no skinny dipping.

No other immersion drills either, sad to say.

spekesoftly
18th May 2012, 14:55
What the story doesn't say is that somebody was probably in desperate need of a loo stop. It would have been impolite to use the cafe's facilities without making a purchase.

The look of delight on the faces of the two girls in photo 2 says it all - excellent PR into the bargain.

B Fraser
18th May 2012, 15:00
This week, that crew could have picked up an injured sailor, the body of a drowned kid and an ice-cream that they paid for out of their own pockets. What's the issue ?

The good lady and I chose our kids school having been influenced in part by the arrival of a Lynx on a goodwill visit from Yeovilton. Close ties with the Military and the opportunity to participate if they so choose are a wonderful opportunity that in hindsight, I wish I had.

Pheasant
18th May 2012, 15:15
I know this is boring but this action by the crew doesn't pass the Daily Mail test. It cannot be part of a publicly funded mission to use one of HM's helos to stop and buy an ice cream. What would be the reaction if a Tonka crew diverted to a civvie airport for a Big Mac (unauth'd)?

Killjoy maybe, but that's how it is.

high spirits
18th May 2012, 15:23
The real 'Daily Mail test' is if you are one of the stupid f@@kwits that reads it........

(not aimed at the previous poster, I meant DM readers!)

Herod
18th May 2012, 15:33
Years ago, the training flight down the London Helilane always included a "tea with no fee" stop at Battersea. I guess nowadays they might be too busy.

jayteeto
18th May 2012, 15:33
Many summers ago whilst moving troops around a Southern county in Northern Ireland, we spotted an ice cream van in a layby next to a beauty spot. There was still 4 minutes to pick-up time so we landed and sent the crewman for 3 '99s'. Armed to the teeth, I might add. The vendor listened to his order then told him to "F*** Off you Brit Bas***d!"
My departure didn't half rattle his van...............

18th May 2012, 15:46
Brilliant! Story put me in a right good mood for the weekend! :ok:

Ken Scott
18th May 2012, 15:52
the real issue here is the massive error of judgement by two officers and two SNCOs.

Lighten up Max Contingency, as the story says the pilots were debriefing and one of the rear crew went for some ice creams - no bad PR here. Sounds like laudable initiative and opportunism by the SNCO to me.

If they'd charged the ice creams to the Queen's account then that would be a different matter....!

GrumpyGramps
18th May 2012, 16:28
Been there, done that - West Beach Lossiemouth a few years ago, and no harm done. Mind you, many moons ago I remember landing on the grass verge beside the A303 on Salisbury Plain for a punnet of strawberries, which was probably pushing it a bit. Now if we could could combine the two exercises and have strawberries and ice cream...! There's a challenge!

ratty1
18th May 2012, 16:29
This week, that crew could have picked up an injured sailor, the body of a drowned kid and an ice-cream that they paid for out of their own pockets. What's the issue ?

So you are comparing an ice cream to that of a body of a drowned child? They caused an unnecessary disturbance on that beach and should be hauled up in front of the Search and Rescue Force Commander.
I guess they were a Wattingham crew if they were training in Norfolk. Surely they have better things to do? If a SAR pilot can't land a helicopter on a flat beach by that stage then perhaps they need to go back to basic training?

anotherthing
18th May 2012, 16:37
You're either a wind up merchant, or failed aircrew... c'mon, fess up you killjoy :hmm:

ShyTorque
18th May 2012, 16:48
Ice cream? Do you meant that SAR crews are allowed to EAT? Whatever next....tut, tut. They should leave eating, drinking and going to the toilet until they're in their own time. Don't they get leave for things like this?

Yours sincerely,

Mr I.M. Notreallyoutragedbutlookingforsomethingtounnecessarilygetrea llywoundupabout.

Zee Nine
18th May 2012, 16:55
That's really nice choice to make :)

Milo Minderbinder
18th May 2012, 17:16
They should know better than to buy cheap poor quality ice cream like that

They should have found somewhere that sold real genuine dairy ice cream, would have been much healthier. Both for the blood pressure and the waistline

Mmmmnice
18th May 2012, 17:35
IMHO way too many folk with time on their hands on this thread? God forbid we encourage any 'thinking outside of the box' in the modern military - initiative going the same way as airmanship? If all we want is a bunch of clones with back pockets stuffed with orderbooks doing nothing without clearance from a risk-averse higher authority then we appear to be going the right way.........well done the SAR force for keeping ice cream salesmen in business.......friday night, bar's open, must be time for another beer...aah the weekend! pip pip

sitigeltfel
18th May 2012, 17:36
I guess they were a Wattingham crew

Where's that then?

sycamore
18th May 2012, 17:58
Just heard on the `ice-cream-line`,that the `Scramble` Tannoy at Wattashambles has been changed to "Just one Cornetto"....

St Johns Wort
18th May 2012, 18:09
I believe that we will see much more of this sort of behaviour. The powers that be will rue the day that they put an end to the High Energy Aircrew Ration allowance!

NutLoose
18th May 2012, 18:25
Monty, surely they are just winding up their kinetic aircrew watches..

PPRuNeUser0171
18th May 2012, 18:29
If I saw that I'd be busy taking photos of the aircraft.

At least in this case the management are supporting them:

“Whilst the actions of the rear crew (not pilots as widely reported) to obtain refreshments during this sortie were not standard practice, it should be noted that they were not in breach of regulations.”