PDA

View Full Version : Philippines hints at non-US fighter buy

backseatjock
17th May 2012, 13:56
According Agence France-Presse today, Philippines President Benigno Aquino has said his country is looking at arming itself for the first time with dedicated fighter jets made outside of the United States, amid a territorial dispute with China.

The Philippines last month requested aircraft, patrol boats and radar systems from its U.S. military ally to help it achieve what the government said would be a “minimum credible defense.”

Aquino said that his government had asked to buy second-hand F-16s from the U.S., but the jets’ maintenance costs could end up being too high because of their age.

“We might end up spending $400 million or $800 million per squadron, and we were thinking of getting two squadrons,” he said in an interview with Manila’s Bombo Radio.

“We do have an alternative, and — this is a surprise — it seems we have the capacity to buy brand-new, but not from America,” Aquino said, without mentioning the aircraft model. “These are manufactured by another progressive country that I won’t name at this point.”

Being filed by AFP, the automatic assumption is that Dassault it positioning Rafale but from my early days in the industry I know Saab spent a lot of time promoting Gripen in that part of the world.

Might that early investment in positioning a very capable lightweight current -generation fighter, be about to pay off for Saab or is this just a negotiating stance being adopted by the Philippines?

sandiego89
17th May 2012, 14:41
I would think this is more posturing than anything- to get a better price on some used F-16's.

I would think the Grippen would be be a good fit, but have doubts that the money is really there for a non U.S. buy.

kbrockman
17th May 2012, 14:54
The KAI FA-50 is still in production, a natural successor for their F5's,
and it is compatible with a fair number of modern weapons and external sensorpods, all this with known quantities like US engines, cannon and a decent Israeli radar or possibly even AESA.
Seoul places $600m order for 20 FA-50s (http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/seoul-places-600m-order-for-20-fa-50s-366500/)
The FA-50 is the most advanced variant of the T-50. It will have the Link 16 tactical data link, as well as an Elta Systems EL/M-2032 pulse doppler radar.

Northrop Grumman and Raytheon have said the FA-50 is a candidate for their respective active electronically scanned array (AESA) radars developed for the Lockheed Martin F-16

The FA-50 also has a radar warning recover and a night vision imaging system. It is capable of carrying 4,500kg (9,920lb) of weapons, including the Boeing Joint Direct Attack Munition and Textron CBU-97 Sensor Fused Weapon. Like the TA-50, it also has a 20mm cannon and can carry air-to-air missiles.

Biggus
17th May 2012, 16:32
Maybe somebody should dust off the plans for the F-20....

Northrop F-20 Tigershark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_F-20_Tigershark)

chopper2004
17th May 2012, 23:28
On another angle one of the latest purchases by the PAF to upgrade their fleet, albeit rotary wing is the PZL -W-3A.

I understood about 8 to 10 years back, they took delivery of another significant amount of Hueys.

Therefore, I would have thought that they would purchase S-70/H-60 airframes given the historical ties between the Manila government and The White House. With certain execptions, such as the S211 trainer jet and the GAF Nomad, Eurocopter SA330 Puma (Presidential Flt), and Navy BO105, its pretty much US equipment

Buster Hyman
18th May 2012, 01:31
These are manufactured by another progressive country that I won’t name at this point.
Rules out a few I could mention... :E

bcgallacher
18th May 2012, 07:33
It does not matter which type the PAF chooses - they will all be grounded in a relatively short time due to lack of spares/maintenance.The corruption in the Philippine military is such that funds evaporate at an astounding rate.

kbrockman
21st Jun 2012, 19:31
For those that care, the Koreans will indeed be delivering a dozen by 2013
http://nosint.********.be/2012/06/philippines-to-buy-ta-50-light-attack.html
The Philippine air force will purchase 12 TA-50 light attack aircraft from South Korea in a deal worth 25 billion pesos (about US$591.3 million), a local news report said Wednesday.

Each aircraft costs 1.25 billion pesos with the dozen fighter jets expected to be delivered by 2013, ABS-CBN news of the Philippines reported on its Web site, citing officials at the Philippine air force.

South Korea rolled out the armed version of its T-50 supersonic trainer jet early last year and has deployed the TA-50 in stages since then.

Buster Hyman
21st Jun 2012, 22:44
Perhaps they think they're getting the Sukhoi T-50?