PDA

View Full Version : R22 Total Electrical Failure (Anybody else see this ever?)

NewHeliCFII
17th May 2012, 12:08
Hi there everybody; this is my very first post. Some background:

I am a CFII who has taken a check-ride in a Schweizer Cbi, C, CB, R22, and R44. I have about 400 hrs total time, 50 in each Robinson, but most time in the Cbi. Graduated a NESCAC college with an Economics degree (useless in this Economy and furthermore, everybody I know working at JPMorgan this or Goldman Sachs that are pretty miserable.)

My flight school did hire me, NEHA (great school), but unfortunately there isn't enough work for me to make a living so I was driving a Taxi when my old mentor called me and asked me if I wanted to do this epic ferry flight.

I ferried an R22 HP from a seller in Rochester, NY to Long Beach, CA. I flew solo until Kansas City, MO, where I picked up a private pilot going for his commercial license. It would have taken twice as long without the Garmin 796, and I can't say enough about that unit, but let's talk about that later.

The failure:

Everything was working beautifully until thunderstorms in texas delayed a departure. As I was paying for fuel, the desk was slow, so my student was sitting in the helicopter with the strobe on and the Garmin sucking power from the 12V outlet. When we started, after switching on the alternator, the ammeter showed well into the positive, as would be expected from a battery that was a little discharged. Everything normal, let's go.

As we flew, the Ammeter started to return to its usual, neutral position, as expected, as the battery charged up.

The problem is that when it returned to its usual position, and the alternator light came on. When I cycled the alternator, the ammeter dipped into the negative, and then back to neutral when I flipped it back on.

Okay, so the alternator is doing its job, as in, it's creating juice for the battery, right?

I decide to unplug the Garmin and let it run on its own battery for awhile to be gentle to the aircraft battery while it charged. The alternator light stayed on but--because I witnessed the ammeter deflect left, and then back to neutral when I cycled the alternator--I ignored the light, being confident that the alternator was in fact working.

This is the part where I admit my mistake. Never ignore a warning light.

As we were flying through the desert in New Mexico, I noticed suddenly that the rotor and engine tachs where at the very top, indicating RPM too high. I was annoyed that I didn't notice sooner. There was no change in sound; that was why it took me so long, I figured out later. So I think [governor malfunction].

I rolled off throttle, over-riding the governor back to the top of the green, but the noise sounded low, and the low RPM horn went off, so I immediately rolled back up and thought "I will trust the low RPM horn and my gut feeling in regards to the sound of the RPM. Better to overspeed a rotor system than stall it." So now I'm thinking [tachometer malfunction]

I put it down in the middle of the desert (we are ETE 5 minutes to our next leg, a tiny airport). I roll the throttle all the way into detent thinking that, perhaps if I roll all the way off, then back up, it might straighten the tachs out. As we're sitting there, everything dies. So now I'm thinking [battery is dead and I am an asshole for thinking I knew better than the alternator warning light]

We don't have food, water, cell service, or power to call for help on the radio, and I am desperately trying to do a great job on my first big job, so that they can recommend me, or perhaps even hire me.

I make the decision to continue flying for 5 minutes to the airport. Using the sound as my new tachometers, I lift off and go to the next airport. Nervous about stalling the rotor, I keep it on the high side. The buyer of the aircraft later told me that overspeeds usually only cause damage when people severely screw up an autorotation. He's happy. The aircraft in the middle of the desert in a town that doesn't even have taxi service or a place to rent a car would have been a logistical nightmare. He later flew out and swapped out the voltage regulator, alternator, and aircraft battery. Everything worked fine. We got an identical battery at a hardware store to get it to the next airport. Identical is a strong word, and I still need to look up if...hypothetically..., somebody put in a tractor-trailer battery of the same size to get to an airport with mechanics.

We're thinking it's the voltage regulator, as the tachs jumped around for one moment causing me to take controls from the student on the last leg from an airport with no mechanics to an airport WITH mechanics. Today mechanics will bring out a multi-meter and troubleshoot.

Anybody else experience anything like this? Anybody want to critique the decisions I made? Despite being a CFII, I humbly call myself new to flying. Maybe in ten years I'll stop saying "I'm new to this."

Thanks!

-Colin

colincolby DOT com for my resume. I am willing to move anywhere world-wide immediately to be a full time pilot or instructor. If anybody knows anybody out there looking, I'd appreciate a referral.

Camp Freddie
17th May 2012, 15:28
Hi there,

Pleased to hear your story and for you to be so honest about what happened which is commendable. There are a few lessons here I think to take away from this, no doubt everyone will have there own idea, but here is my take.

1. The alternator light is a land as soon as practical item, I.e. divert to a base where maintenance may be available, but also extended flight is not recommended as assuming its not working you have 30-40 minutes battery power or so.
So I personally would have done exactly that i.e. diverted, deciding yourself that it was OK even thought the light was on was clearly a mistake I think.
You didn't say how long you flew like this but I am guessing it was for an extended time ?

2. When you noticed the tachs were high although no change in sound, this is the part that can be v.dangerous i.e. overreacting to benign indications, and in the situation you describe if you form the judgment that both tachs are misbehaving you should in accordance with POH allow the governor to maintain RPM and again land as soon as practical, but I would agree that if you think the RPM has increased from a governor issue that again in accordance with POH that switching governor off that cautiously reducing throttle taking note of the sound and low RPM horn is not unreasonable but in this situation with no RPM information and not knowing what is going on you should be landing immediately.
So think your decision to land in the desert at that point was good, but probably overdue.

3. I make the decision to continue flying for 5 minutes to the airport. Using the sound as my new tachometers, I lift off and go to the next airport. Nervous about stalling the rotor, I keep it on the high side.

I think this was a v.poor decision, there is a limitation in the POH that you must have a functioning alternator and to delibarately takeoff without RPM information and other systems is dangerous in my opinion.
You didn't at this point know if you had oversped it or no so it needed to be looked at by an engineer before it flew again, in my experience of over speeds many have been by private pilots gripping the throttle too hard and having the ERPM/RRPM off the top of the clock and causing damage to the aircraft.

Overall I think you need to follow the emergency procedures as set out in section 3 of the POH, and the limitations in section 2 more closely.

Regards CF

Thomas coupling
17th May 2012, 15:32
Defo voltage regulator.

Anyway, wha did you do your IR on? Can't see it in your resume, unless.......

Scary thought though, as an IRI could you teach a commercial pilot some IF in actual weather?

You've more quals than I had with a zero on the end of your numbers:D

In the US, do quals like this carry the same gravitas as military medals?

HillerBee
17th May 2012, 17:11
You don't lift off when everything went black. It's illegal and very unresponsible. If you're 5 minutes flying from the nearest airport that's probably a 7.5 miles walk at the most. You should have been prepared when flying in hostile terrain bringing at least water, but you do need to bring survival equipment. You always need a plan B and C. Now you'd better take this post of Colin because I don't think it's good advertising. Interesting to see in your resume you haven't got Blue Hill Helicopters up there as a reference, after all that's where you did your CPL/IR.

NewHeliCFII
17th May 2012, 17:45
Well, the owner at Blue Hill Helicopters took over my training once CFI began, and because we didn't agree with the training plan going forward, I left the school for the competitors across the street. Hi Steve! I like Steve but there's a reason your very own CFII, Adrian, did not list you as a reference either, and he worked for you for years. But let's not get childish on a public forum, shall we?

To SilsoeSid regarding simulated instrument--helicopters being dynamically unstable make the associated autopilot systems very expensive, and none of the three primary helicopters used for flight training (Robinsons R22, R44, and Schweizer) are FAA approved for IFR flight. None of my "simulated instrument" time was in a simulator but rather was simulated in that I was wearing a hood and simulating IFR flight by not using outside visual references. You can still get vestibular illusions and the first time you fly at night you notice it's much harder. Also, I spoke to a pilot who did some real IFR flight in a helicopter for a few hours and he told me, despite being a very experienced pilot, that the vestibular illusions were so severe it was unnerving.

I do understand the emergency procedures in the PoH, and I admit I made mistakes, but neither my student pilot (a German F1 race-car driver who knows engines very well) nor I felt particularly unsafe, but on paper, going against the PoH is a nono.

The helicopter would still be sitting out there if I didn't do what I did, and furthermore, I can't help but think most pilots would have done exactly what I did. I've seen a pilot fly a helicopter halfway into a hangar because we couldn't get it up an icy incline. I've seen a Robinson test pilot demonstrate low G (he has earned it, being a super-pilot with tens of thousands of hours). I've heard airline pilots lie about having the weather information and I've heard people have long conversations both on Approach AND Class Bravo tower frequency. And I don't see people using checklists. Not for Robinsons or Schweizers. Yet I do see some flight schools cross the line from training excellent students to the immoral zone of keeping them as long as possible in order to maximize revenue, with no interest in finishing the student.

I will never make the mistakes I made on that flight ever again, and just because I see other people doing things the wrong way doesn't mean it's okay for me to do it too.

I appreciate the input, and also the scolding that I deserve.

For legal purposes everything I wrote is fiction. :-)

Well, back to driving a taxi until the next job. Not much work out there for CFIIs not having been hired from within (the flight school I work at is very very low volume because the competition is excellent at internet marketing).

By the way, the Garmin 796 is the bomb. Did you know that at one point, a pilot in KPYM was on a flight plan, talking to approach, and still got in trouble for busting a Presidential TFR? His briefer didn't warn him, nor did approach. So in order avoid legal liability for busting a TFR, you HAVE to call FSS. I don't see people calling FSS very often, so does that mean we're all gambling with our pilots licenses every time we go flying? They need to fix that. If your Garmin unit fails to display a TFR, or even if you go to TFRcheck.com, does not constitute "checking" for TFRs. Even going to FAA PilotWeb does not release you from liability. You have to talk to FSS on the phone or frequency. This is my understanding. Is this correct?

Here's to not wearing a suit and sitting in a cubicle. ...or being stuck at a flight school that keeps you forever.

Cheers,
Colin

HillerBee
17th May 2012, 19:15
Well, the owner at Blue Hill Helicopters took over my training once CFI began, and because we didn't agree with the training plan going forward, I left the school for the competitors across the street. Hi Steve! I like Steve but there's a reason your very own CFII, Adrian, did not list you as a reference either, and he worked for you for years. But let's not get childish on a public forum, shall we?

I'm not Steve := I do know you however.....

Well I wish you the best with your career. But as I said before this is not good advertising and I will certainly not hire you, and I do own a very busy flightschool but not at Norwood Memorial Airport

Gordy
17th May 2012, 19:16
It's illegal and very unresponsible.

I will disagree. 7.5 miles in the desert with no water or survival gear is no easy task.

He thought through the problem, analyzed it to the best of his ability and made a decision. There was no damage to the aircraft and all turned out well.

What was irresponsible, (and you can guarantee he will never do it again---therefore chalk it up to a learning experience), is flying over unforgiving terrain with no survival pack and/or water.

Also he will learn to NOT plug in ANY electronics until the alternator/generator is up and running......do your planning in the hotel at night.

Gordy
17th May 2012, 19:22
I've seen a Robinson test pilot demonstrate low G (he has earned it, being a super-pilot with tens of thousands of hours).

No big deal---this used to be a required maneuver on the FAA check rides, it was only removed in the late 90's I believe.

So in order avoid legal liability for busting a TFR, you HAVE to call FSS.

This will not protect you either----not all FSS are operated by the FAA. I know of a pilot who did call and was still busted.....beware of contract flight service stations---they are also not subject to FOIA rules and can get out of giving you information.

Camp Freddie
17th May 2012, 19:41
I do understand the emergency procedures in the PoH, and I admit I made mistakes, but neither my student pilot (a German F1 race-car driver who knows engines very well) nor I felt particularly unsafe, but on paper, going against the PoH is a nono.

You still sound like you know better than the POH, if it says land as soon as practical then land as soon as practical, it's not just on paper it's for real.
And if you make a habit of flying without RPM information you will end up dead.

Also if you get a professional flying job and you start ignoring the MEL for despatch you will soon get fired.

SilsoeSid
17th May 2012, 19:42
To SilsoeSid regarding simulated instrument--helicopters being dynamically unstable make the associated autopilot systems very expensive, and none of the three primary helicopters used for flight training (Robinsons R22, R44, and Schweizer) are FAA approved for IFR flight. None of my "simulated instrument" time was in a simulator but rather was simulated in that I was wearing a hood and simulating IFR flight by not using outside visual references. You can still get vestibular illusions and the first time you fly at night you notice it's much harder. Also, I spoke to a pilot who did some real IFR flight in a helicopter for a few hours and he told me, despite being a very experienced pilot, that the vestibular illusions were so severe it was unnerving.

Thanks Colin. I think it's just the way that it seems strange to me that to be able to instruct IF, one doesn't have to have ever been IMC. I take it that you mean that the aircraft types aren't approved for IMC flight, as night flying is usually IFR?

Maybe it's just me, but actual conditons are a totally different ball game than flying under the hood, whether it's an unstabalised Gazelle or a kitted out EC135.

SilsoeSid
17th May 2012, 21:12
Thanks for clearing that up Tqstripe and also for leaving off my question mark.
It was a question as opposed to a statement.

NewHeliCFII
18th May 2012, 00:17
I understand the concept of following easy-access highways and forced landing areas. I was trying to compete with experienced ferry pilots by analyzing live, ::INTERLOLATED:: (go ahead and look up the word interpolated--i'll wait)...surface winds and winds aloft. I was flying straight lines at optimal altitudes. I had no interest in following highways. I was interested in delivering the ******* aircraft. And I don't know why old school heli pilots pussy out of altitudes over 4500 feet. I hit 10k feet with my student and drooped the RPM just to show him that it's not a big deal. I did explain that a throttle chop at that altitude would result in rotor stall at one second due to high pitch and ****ty engine performance. Maybe a stalled main rotor is recoverable if you respond perfectly and flare the **** out of it, but no pilot will put that to the test. Think of 90% as your hard-deck and 80% as death.

I thank everybody who praised or chastised me, gave me constructive criticism and to the people who don't know what they are talking about or hold childish grudges personal attack deleted...to those people: look directly at my elite education and suck it.

Maybe those net-jets pilots I met were right. Maybe I should get out of aviation while I still can. Apparently 50% of you are assholes, 40% are incompetent, and the last 10% are expensive to hire away.

Whatever. I'm going to knock the GMAT out of the park and go to Harvard business school. HBS. Might as well own the aircraft.

Personal attack deleted

I regret posting on this forum.

Personal attack deleted

We, too, regret you posting on our Forum. You were offered support and advice to which you have chosen to insult others.

For a <400 hour pilot you have a great deal to learn, and I despair for your future as a pilot after openly denigrating your fellow helicopter pilots in a public forum.

As for your personal attacks: you signed up to Terms and Conditions which seem to mean as much to you as the POH and limitations of your aircraft.

Bye

Senior Pilot

Gordy
18th May 2012, 00:50
Colin,

I actually stuck up for you.......

You have now just LOST ANY and ALL respect I had for you.

To be honest, yes you should get out of aviation as you clearly think someone s out to get you----reality check----no one cares about where or with whom you trained. I do hire pilots and I take 99% of what I hear with a grain of salt, but you have just now publicly bashed someone, and called the rest of us either "assholes, incompetent or too expensive"---THAT was out of order.

You actually had some good points before you went downhill. Good luck in your aviation career---by your own doing---you will now need it.

muermel
18th May 2012, 04:41
Übersicht von Colin Colby

Aktuell

Pilot bei New England Helicopter Academy

Ausbildung

Bates College

Kontakte 9 Kontakte
Zusammenfassung von Colin Colby

When I grow up I want to be a helicopter pilot!

Berufserfahrung von Colin Colby

Pilot

New England Helicopter Academy

September 2011 – Present (9 months) Boston area, KOWD, KPYM (Norwood, Plymouth)
I have every helicopter license. I am the best pilot I know, and I know a lot of pilots.

Projekte von Colin Colby

Perfect Landing (http://www.linkedin.com/redir/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fyoutu%2Ebe%2FMgki8wVeWL0&urlhash=qIcp)

Mgki8wVeWL0

Team Members: Colin Colby (http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=149631991&authType=name&authToken=LE-r&goback=%2Enpp_%2Fcolin*5colby%2F42%2F140%2F707&trk=member)
I land a helicopter with zero airspeed, zero wind, and zero power at 600AGL while directly over the spot, and I do it perfectly. This is one of the hardest maneuvers one can perform in a helicopter, and it was a piece of cake because I rule.

Colin, the internet never forgets :ugh:

"I have every helicopter license. I am the best pilot I know, and I know a lot of pilots."

"

I land a helicopter with zero airspeed, zero wind, and zero power at 600AGL while directly over the spot, and I do it perfectly. This is one of the hardest maneuvers one can perform in a helicopter, and it was a piece of cake because I rule."

"look directly at my elite education and suck it"

Quite an attitude, I see :rolleyes:

SilsoeSid
18th May 2012, 05:15
I am willing to move anywhere world-wide immediately to be a full time pilot or instructor. If anybody knows anybody out there looking, I'd appreciate a referral.

Colin, I have just the job for you.
Nasa unveils bold plans to send humans 'one-way to Mars to colonise planet' (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/8091965/Nasa-unveils-bold-plans-to-send-humans-one-way-to-Mars-to-colonise-planet.html)
I am sure there are plenty here that will be happy to give you a referral :ok:

alouette
18th May 2012, 05:59
I am actually offended by this "dude"...Nice to know that I am either an $§hole, or incompetent or too expensive to hire...Ahm, I got news for you; contrary to popular believe, and luckily I still have a job, and am competent enough to do what I am assigned for. And above that, I think you take your mouth too full considering that you are still green behind your ears.

18th May 2012, 07:38
Colin probably told the German F1 driver how to do his job better as well;) What a c**k!

Thomas coupling
18th May 2012, 07:57
Ah shame, I was just sharpening my knives........

I suspect his time on here lasted a little longer than his career.:D

Bye Colin XXX Miss you.

PapaechoIT
18th May 2012, 10:19
:sad::sad::sad: A$$holes? Incompetents?

Oh my God...someone have just fired himself. Colin, regarding the first post, you REALLY made some of the worst decision I've ever heard of! I accept the lack of experience, but not th lack of knowledge on the heli you fly.

:D:D

fly911
18th May 2012, 11:50
Say colin, I've seen shorter landing rolls with an airplane. Keep practicing.

6XYFcw1c-Oo

Bravo73
18th May 2012, 12:40
Woah. I was following this thread yesterday and I don't think that I've seen somebody's career implode so quickly. His resume/CV is still there for everyone to see. :eek:

It's a good thing for him that he's better at everything else than the rest of us. Allegedly. :E

Ready2Fly
18th May 2012, 13:11
Some people are really skilled :ugh:

Devil 49
18th May 2012, 14:05
I've never had a school emergency in 44 years of flying. My experience is that issues are very ill defined in the real world outside the classroom and successful resolution is very much situation dependent. Had this malfunction occurred in hard IMC (yes, I know the aircraft wasn't IFR rated) would the same decisions have had as happy an outcome? Well, no- but the whole issue would have looked entirely different if the perception was that mere survival depended on the electrical system. As the poster pointed, perhaps unconsciously, the decision train could have ultimately put survival at risk.

I'd suggest from my reading of the original post that an ammeter neutral position (zero load) doesn't indicate the system is functioning. Argument?

Next, I have a habit of periodically loading (cycle a landing light, for example) the electricals in a more or less static situation to see ammeter needle movement. I have had generators pack it in without a warning light, once resulting in a Halloween night in a freezing pasture. I've never run out of electrons doing the intermittent load thing.

More on the hard VFR thing, as narrated: Just because you can see forever, doesn't mean you're not reliant on instruments. I'm disappointed to hear that this aircraft didn't have some sort of redundant power supply for NR, people kill themselves thinking they know more than the dials. NR is very, very important. Perhaps the incident aircraft is like the AStar, when you run out of battery you run out of reliable rotor tach? That's a hard no-go for me, an auto is much more comfortable with NR indications, I don't want to bet my life that I can do that. Mechanical gauges have a place my "high school, flight school, Vietnam" heart for that very reason.

Self induced stress will kill you dead, dead, dead. Trying to get to easy maintenance is a proven killer. Failing to plan for survival options is also frequently fatal. Perhaps keeping convenient culture assistance (following major roads, for instance) would have been impractical. Again, my experience is -generally- otherwise, planning the diversion necessary early and intelligently adds very few minutes to a leg. Beyond keeping me alive, it's just a lot easier to resolve the problems I've encountered when I could get help in civilization, perhaps I'm lazy.
Basing a plan on the "other pilot" will also have an unfortunate outcome if continued. You can do what you can do, not what you think the other pilot is capable of. You're not the "other pilot" and you can't compete with a fictional construct, your imagination can push that perception further than you will be able to go. Serious fault, I think, perhaps the most serious in the narrative.

Camp Freddie
18th May 2012, 16:31
I'm disappointed to hear that this aircraft didn't have some sort of redundant power supply for NR, people kill themselves thinking they know more than the dials. NR is very, very important

Each tach, the governor and low RPM horn are on separate circuits, either the battery or alternator can independantly supply power to the tachs, a special circuit allows the battery to supply power to the tachs even if the mastery battery switch is turned off.

So they pretty much covered all the bases, his problem was he ignored the alternator warning light despite the POH telling him to land as soon as practical and exhausted the battery it would appear. Robinson did there bit but he didn't do his !

lelebebbel
19th May 2012, 02:17
As a side note, some of the newer Robinsons do have a Volt meter in addition to the Ammeter (built into the OAT gauge).
The Garmin 796 can also show battery voltage when plugged into the aircraft. So, plenty of ways for the pilot to figure out what's wrong, and no shortage of warning signs. Still an interesting story of how to turn a minor electrical problem into a near-death experience...

New England Pilot
19th May 2012, 03:01
I took a look at the above Autorotation..... Firstly I cant seem to find it in the PTS ? Perhaps Colin has his own ?

Ok so the first problem was the entry, floored in every way, massive yaw and then on to the glide, you can see right away that the aircraft is out of trim, judging by RPM control you were making to many attitude changes also...

The landing ... The flare was very aggresive and very high, indicative of a new pilot. The run on was way to long and if you had flared at the correct height you would have had almost zero speed with that wind condition.

Looking at your comments regarding NEHA and the comment that you worked there ? I know for a fact that they recently had their 141 certification removed as they did not graduate even 1 student under 141 IN FACT they didn't graduate any students under part 61 ! Maybe your presence scared people away ?

I have flown both schools aircraft and anybody in the northeast knows where to go if they want to fly a schweizer ... The school that you spoke badly about BHH clearly has newer machines, instrument capable machines and a new fly it sim . They are the only choice for the career pilot. take a look in the pattern at KOWD... guess who's aircraft are flying ? yes the 141 school across the street without Colin Colby as an instructor !

DauphinDude
19th May 2012, 03:41
Not that I condone this guys personal attacks at the least, but people on pprune seem to wanna jump on the first chance they get to take down a person for no apparent reason. I have seen it several time on these boards. After the first post someone posted his resume for the world to see? I find that a pretty dickish move to be honest...

19th May 2012, 07:30
If you think an air-taxi at 30 feet AGL without any obstacles for 5 minutes is dangerous, you are a pussy and shouldn't be a pilot.
I don't want to be a pilot anymore. Does that mean you want to be a pussy?

I think aviation can breathe a huge sigh of relief at your decision.

DauphinDude
19th May 2012, 08:54
Who cares. The second post in this thread was completely uncalled for, and if the mods let that information stay, I think it is fair that the rest get to stay.

Senior Pilot
19th May 2012, 09:41
Who cares. The second post in this thread was completely uncalled for, and if the mods let that information stay, I think it is fair that the rest get to stay.

DD,

Maybe you should have spotted the last line of the OP (my bold and underline, just in case you miss it):

colincolby DOT com for my resume. I am willing to move anywhere world-wide immediately to be a full time pilot or instructor. If anybody knows anybody out there looking, I'd appreciate a referral.

Thomas coupling
19th May 2012, 16:52
C'mon SP, this is Colins twin brother taking the pi**.

Colin: a technicality (especially for someone as newbie as you), your zero airspeed auto - isn't.
There was nil wind yet you landed with a good 5+kts of fwd speed. This isn't a zero speed landing in the helo world matey. And I guarantee you pulled power prior to touching down - absolutely guarantee it . Next time, try a proper ZERO speed ( groundspeed/airspeed) and land without touching the collective, which should remain planted firmly on the deck. That is a 0/0 landing in 'auto' sunshine.
{What's your next handle then?}

hillberg
19th May 2012, 18:59
Colins the next smokin hole-Seen a lot of them , Sad so sad.

nigelh
19th May 2012, 19:14
TC .....collective firmly down ? Throughout the whole performance ? Just asking ....

Tourist
19th May 2012, 19:16
Thomas Coupling

"Next time, try a proper ZERO speed ( groundspeed/airspeed) and land without touching the collective, which should remain planted firmly on the deck"

Erm, not on any helicopter I've ever flown!:eek:

nigelh
19th May 2012, 19:21
Tourist ...I think you will find that he flares and then lands on a great pile of bluster and ego which negates the need for collective use ....

SilsoeSid
20th May 2012, 08:44
DauphinDudeAfter the first post someone posted his resume for the world to see? I find that a pretty dickish move to be honest...
As it was Colin that posted his/her resume for the world to see, I take it that you agree with the rest of us about Colin.
The second post merely provided the link to the resume on colin's own website. It only appeared as a picture here because colin posted it as a png file.

The second post in this thread was completely uncalled for, and if the mods let that information stay, I think it is fair that the rest get to stay.

The second post is only saying that it "Just seems strange that someone can be an instrument instructor without (ever) having 'actually' flown instruments."
All the 'offending' information posted is available from colin's own link to his/her own website, provided to us in the first post.

Anyhoo, I appreciate that it may well be all above board, however having more hours NVG than colon has total, it still seems strange to me that someone can be an IF instructor having never ever been in the clouds.

heli-cal
20th May 2012, 13:46
Colin appears to have changed his website, though not his attitude! :{

The following is opinion and for entertainment purposes only:

PPRuNe has deleted posts, edited posts, taken posts out of context, and generally seems to be run by a man-child similar to the majority of people who participate. Just so everybody knows. I saved original PDF copies and they are available on request. :-)

PPRuNe is dishonest, in my opinion. BUSTED!

looooooooooooooool

That's really sad my instinct to save PDF records was the right one. PPRuNe is dishonest, in my opinion. Yikes. And I wouldn't want to work for somebody who visits that cesspool instead of make his own assessment anyway.

It's kind of an internet rule-of-thumb that any forum that has heavy moderation needs it because children need to be moderated. And then it becomes hilarious as these children strive to become moderators for "power." Then it becomes extra hilarious when they reach this goal.

Thank you all for making me realize that my CFII will be a hobby, not a career.

As I became a helicopter pilot, I surpassed the others one by one, until there was no one left. So I left. I used to have so much respect for you all. Well, I still do. Just not the ones who troll anonymously on the internet. At the end of it all, I'm still the one that proudly puts my name on everything I write.

I'm so glad we live in a free country where I can't be pushed around by bullies.

Sincerely,

Colin Colby

P.S. Sorry I ignored the alternator warning light, but it came on in flight and we were flying straight to an airport, so, I guess I shouldn't even apologize!

"If you think an air-taxi at 30 feet AGL without any obstacles for 5 minutes is dangerous, you are a pussy and shouldn't be a pilot."

Some souvenirs I saved from my time at Blue Hill Helicopters:

www.colincolby.com/bhhcommercial.pdf

www.colincolby.com/bhhinstrument.pdf

yea. I saved those original pdfs as well, because I know people aren't perfect and sometimes throw tantrums and delete blog posts or forum posts.

I think I'll end with a quote from Steve Boatwright after I finished my check-rides:

"Well done Colin, from all of us at Blue Hill Helicopters!"

20th May 2012, 15:28
Well done Colin, form all of us here at PPRUNE - you have made a total prat of yourself and burnt any bridges with your local helicopter outfits.

Good grief, do you really think no-one else who flys a helicopter or posts on PPRUNE has a BA/BSc/MA - elite education my a*se.

I'm sure you will tell them all at Harvard Business school just how good you are:ugh:

homonculus
20th May 2012, 18:15
Gentlemen

Every few months we get a posting that riles all sane pilots. I recall one about flying a 44 in cloud. Colin seems to have been educated at the same primary school as his grammar and initial naive posting is identical. It isn't beyond the realm of possibility that all the authors are one and the same and that the author gains some warped sense of satisfaction from winding you all up.

?

500e
20th May 2012, 18:55
"Well done Colin, from all of us at Blue Hill Helicopters!"
Said with relief I suspect.
Whenever the instructor said that to me, I went away thinking it could not have been that bad :E

HeliChopter
21st May 2012, 08:11
Wind up merchant or real, still an arse!

Ag-Rotor
21st May 2012, 09:05
Its a shame flight schools can't draft off the Wannabegoes and the Wannabestops prior to idiots like this getting a licence.:confused: