PDA

View Full Version : Gliding is brilliant!

mat777
16th May 2012, 23:09
On the suggestion of a fellow Bristol Uni Aero Eng coursemate, I accompanied him to the Bristol and Gloucs Gliding Club today. Though he has been going a while, its the first time I've ever aviated in something smaller than a 737 and by god was it a fantastic experience!

Having been strapped to a parachute and shoehorned into a DG505 2-seat glider, we winch-launched from 0-55kts in 2 seconds on the ground followed by 0-1300ft in 10 seconds. Once I'd retrieved my internal organs from behind my spine, and after trimming the glider, the instructor let me take control for some banking turns and a circuit. He was impressed at how I managed to keep the horizon constant in turns - apparently most first-timers oscillate up and down like a yo-yo. I'm obviously a natural born pilot http://www.pistonheads.com/inc/images/biggrin.gif

thing
16th May 2012, 23:33
Being old fashioned I reckon every power pilot should solo on a glider first. You have chanced upon the purest form of flight, other than the guys who wear those body bags, sorry wing suits. Enjoy.

tggzzz
17th May 2012, 00:50
Oh, you lucky person: you can still look forward to various fun activities for the first time. Foe example, deliberately entering a spin at 1000ft, finding a buzzard that means you don't have to visit a farmer, seeing raptors get their talons out when they think you are too close, burbling serenely near teh wispies, thermalling upwards at >1000ft/min with a 70 degree bank and another plane at the same altitude (keep an eye on them by looking upwards and watching the top of their head). Just remember, every flight is different and unpredictable, and fun.

7of9
17th May 2012, 02:32
Being old fashioned I reckon every power pilot should solo on a glider first. You have chanced upon the purest form of flight, other than the guys who wear those body bags, sorry wing suits

Wot he said from me toooo!!!

Glad you enjoyed the trip.

Trev

BroomstickPilot
17th May 2012, 06:56
I agree.

I started by gliding and I think it does benefit you later because first of all you develop a fine understanding of how air masses move and secondly because you cease to be afraid of forced landings without power, because in a glider all landings are forced landings without power.

BP.

astir 8
17th May 2012, 07:19
Second and third those statements - Throw in low level ridge soaring and high level wave flying too

John Farley
17th May 2012, 08:20
The modern glider is a pretty awesome aerodynamic device and optimised for gliding.

A modern powered aircraft (or flying machine) is a compromise between aerodynamic efficiency and getting a particular job done with cost also in the mix.

So if you are interested in experiencing the pure and simple pleasure of flight then a modern glider – well sailplane really – cannot be beaten in my view.

In a similar way should you feel you have the best hands the world has yet seen for controlling a powered aircraft then go and try to hover an R22. That experience is as purely about control as the glider is about flying.

snapper1
17th May 2012, 08:24
Re-posted from gliderpilot.net

Congratulations to Ed Downham for his 823km triangle on Saturday 12th May
(subject to ratification, etc, etc)

Flight Details (http://www.bgaladder.co.uk/dscore.asp?FlightID=35996&RC=)

A truely inspirational and epic flight. Well done Ed!

Pete Harvey
Chairman BGA

thing
17th May 2012, 08:56
I looked at the sky on the 12th and said to myself 'It's a 500k day today.' Wasn't expecting to underestimate it by over 300k so well done that man. Bet the 'relief' bottle was full...:)

cats_five
17th May 2012, 11:59
Gosh - think the mods have been busy!

Ed flies an amazing glider, an EB28, and is a very experienced and skilled pilots. There are plenty of us with experience but fewer with the skill!

BTW they might have a relief tube in the glider...

Dg800
17th May 2012, 12:11
BTW they might have a relief tube in the glider...

He's probably got a minibar in there somewhere too. ;) It's certainly one of the most impressive gliders I've ever seen.

Ciao,

DG800

average-punter
17th May 2012, 19:18
I've been given a gliding experience for my birthday, I can't wait!!! :D Your experience sounds great!

mat777
17th May 2012, 21:14
Crikey, that route somewhat puts my two 9-minute circuits to shame!

average-punter, if there you have any remote glimmer of aviation enthusiasm then you will love it! It's just such a serene experience to be right at the pointy end with the huge canopy giving unimpeded visibility, watching the world sail by underneath with only the faint whistle of the airflow breaking the eerie silence.
By the time of my second flight we were pushing the limits of the daylight, meaning I got to watch a beautiful sunset in the over the Bristol Channel, casting a deep orange glow over the water as we sailed along from our unique vantage point http://www.pistonheads.com/inc/images/cloud9.gif

My hasty iPhone shot earlier in the flight before it set doesnt come close to doing it justice:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/477962_10150836668148878_527833877_9885073_1580134315_o.jpg

L'aviateur
17th May 2012, 21:33
I've only flown in a glider once, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was pure coincidence, I was waiting around for an aircraft at a field in Germany and was offered the chance.

I'd like to do it again, but the real problem for me is time, and gliding seems to be a real commitment with a team effort. If you work 9-5 and have the weekends off, I'm sure it works out great.

ProfChrisReed
17th May 2012, 22:24
If you're near the Essex/Suffolk border, Essex GC is offering special deals for PPLs - see my last post on this thread: http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/456376-gliding-package-ppls-ridgewell-essex-suffolk-border.html

A and C
18th May 2012, 04:02
Gliding is how I started in this business and I get to revisit it once in a while, I while and enjoy it a lot but there are aspects of gliding that I don't like and these revolve around the politics that are found in all the gliding clubs I have visited.

As usual the pathetic bickering of a small minority spoils the fun for all the others and makes the job of volunteer management committee's a lot harder and unpleasant.

Doodlebug
18th May 2012, 09:13
A and C, I have to agree, every club I have ever been a member of, or just had dealings with, was riddled with politics. Awful.

For me the solution to this problem was to find two or three owners willing to charter their machines to me on a regular basis for a week at a time. Makes financial sense, this way even a gorgeous modern 18m self-launcher becomes very cheap per hour, relative to owning it outright. This also takes care of the other issue that aircrew have, namely that of not being able to visit a club every weekend.

Soaring is sublime, by far the most rewarding form of, as well as the best-kept secret within, aviation.

thing
18th May 2012, 12:01
As usual the pathetic bickering of a small minority spoils the fun for all the others

I've known powered clubs like that. Not mine I hasten to add which is mercifully free of unnecessary bollox.

mat777
18th May 2012, 13:16
I must say, the BGGC seemed very free of politics, just being a bunch of enthusiastic volunteers. Their terms were that any new members are welcome as long as they helped out between flights (eg retrieving landed gliders back to launch, rigging winch cables, and driving the winch recovery truck - all of which I gladly did as it meant driving a variety of interesting stuff!). The closest thing I heard to politics or sniping all day was a brief mention about one of the daytime members leaving single-seater club gliders out expecting the evening crew (flying only 2-seaters) to put them away - which seems a reasonable complaint to me!

thing
18th May 2012, 14:59
I must say, the BGGC seemed very free of politics, just being a bunch of enthusiastic volunteers.

As long as you don't mind if others aren't...:).

One thing that ground me down were the people, and I'm sure that every gliding club has them, that turned up at 11pm, expected to fly by 2pm, got the best part of the day and left at 5pm; leaving muggins on the winch/retrieval/duty piloting who'd been there since 7am to scrape a couple of five minute circuits at the end of the day. I can't do that, I'm just not thick skinned enough. Some people are. I know glider flights can be short but in my first year as a powered pilot I racked up more hours than I did in five as a glider pilot.

It's sheer luxury, and I mean it, to turn up at my flying club, get into the a/c, go somewhere, come back, refuel it and go home. No one takes advantage of your good nature.

Don't misunderstand me, gliding is the best thing you can do outside of the bedroom IMO. I love it, but you need an understanding nature, let's put it that way!:)

mat777
18th May 2012, 15:11
Ah fair enough! I suppose I did get lucky thinking about it, we had two 2-seaters out with 4 pilots hanging about, and there were only 5 of us punters waiting to fly in the 6pm-sunset evening slot, so there was plenty of time to faff about slightly.

Incidentally, I was talking to another glider rookie today and he said that getting a solo qualification on a glider entitles one to a 75% reduction in hour building needed to attain a PPL. Is this true? Sounds a rather attractive prospect to me given that £7 a launch is somewhat cheaper than £150 an hour!

cats_five
18th May 2012, 15:39
Yes, glider clubs have politics to a greater or lesser degree. So do photo clubs, sailing clubs, cat clubs, and any other sort of club I can think of...

A and C
18th May 2012, 16:29
You have a point about clubs of all sorts and the politics that goes on and may be I have just been unlucky but I think that to get a string of four letter words hurled at you when you walk into their hangar to do an inspection on one of their tugs, and that before I had even had chance to introduce myself was a bit rich.

But not nearly as rich as the libelous writings of one club member who put my name into a report of an alleged conspiracy just because I was known to a club member he did not like ( I was not a member of the club or conected any way with the club ether professionally or as a user of the airfield ).

I have been the member of a lot of clubs over the years and have seen a bit of politics in most but the gliding world takes the biscuit for the shear nastiness and venom from what is a SMALL minority of the members.

Time Traveller
18th May 2012, 17:08
From many years experience of many clubs, I can recommend a few which were mostly free of pompous or unfriendly types;

Yes, BGGC (albeit one known sociopath when I was there), North Hill, Cambridge (who did have a amazingly unpleasant CFI when I was there, known for getting into punch-ups; eventually drummed out of the country thank god. Other than that, lovely members and staff), and then if your bag is to turn up and fly; then Lasham ticks all the boxes (apart from being a bit impersonal). Essex& Suffolk - a bit fuddy-duddy but generally friendly. Edit - oh and Oxford (WOG) - a nicer club I have yet to come across.

I came across the similar number of clubs which ranged from cliquey to downright unfriendly. So yes, IMO, certain clubs do seem to develop their own personality, but of course that can change over time, and overall they seem to be getting better with their PR push.

Denti
18th May 2012, 17:11
Sounds nasty, i was happy enough that the politics never went to that level in my club. Started out with gliding at 14 before i lateron (much later) turned to professional aviation. Sadly i didn't have the time for the last 12 years or so to go gliding, but it is for sure the most pure and enjoyable form of flying. Well, probably apart from wingsuit flying, but i do not like to leave an airplane that is still intact.

thing
18th May 2012, 19:28
Incidentally, I was talking to another glider rookie today and he said that getting a solo qualification on a glider entitles one to a 75% reduction in hour building needed to attain a PPL. Is this true?

In a word, no.

kestrel539
18th May 2012, 19:45
Mat777,
If you get a GPL,( Bronze C and X/c ) then you may convert to an NPPL SSEA or SLMG in 10 hrs.
( Until the LAPL kicks in )

mat777
18th May 2012, 20:09
Hi Kestrel, thanks for the info

Without sounding daft, what do all the abbreviations mean? there seems to be a bewildering array of sub-divisions to an NPPL!

Given that I want to end up with a full JAA+IR PPL with a view to going commercial once money allows, would it be cheaper to leap straight into this or would I be better building incrementally from GPL to NPPL to PPL? (I apologise as I imagine this has been done to death ad infinitum!)

regards,

Matt

mary meagher
18th May 2012, 20:35
A&C, you do make a speciality of moaning about the nastiness and venom you encountered at a gliding club that was unfortunate enough to stir your indignation. you mention that you have been the member of a lot of clubs over the years.....does this not strike you as coincidental?

Seems to me that what goes around comes around.

Doodlebug
18th May 2012, 20:50
Thing, I got a substantial reduction in hours required for my PPL in South Africa on strength of my GPL. Many moons ago, yes, and not the U.K., agreed, but seeing as the old South African system was virtually a blueprint of the old U.K. setup, perhaps there may be some truth to this? Certainly worth looking into, I should think?

Mechta
18th May 2012, 21:20
One thing that ground me down were the people, and I'm sure that every gliding club has them, that turned up at 11pm, expected to fly by 2pm, got the best part of the day and left at 5pm; leaving muggins on the winch/retrieval/duty piloting who'd been there since 7am to scrape a couple of five minute circuits at the end of the day. I can't do that, I'm just not thick skinned enough. Some people are. I know glider flights can be short but in my first year as a powered pilot I racked up more hours than I did in five as a glider pilot.
It does happen and usually someone will have a quiet word in that individual's ear if they try it on more than a couple of times. You also have to bear in mind that sometimes that individual will have been up at the club in the week for several days/evenings in a row overhauling the winch/servicing the tug/painting the clubhouse and has managed to escape domestic duties for a few hours to grab a flight. The Chief Flying Instructor may be aware of this and not shouted it from the roof tops.

Most of us get left on the winch a bit too long on occasions and start having homicidal thoughts towards the rest of the club :eek:. I thought it was just me until I mentioned it at ours the other day. It turns out its quite prevalent! :uhoh:. Don't be afraid to speak up (politely, but firmly) if it happens you. A bitter, sunburnt, dehydrated winch driver is part of an accident waiting to happen.

A and C
18th May 2012, 21:28
When I say I have been a member of a lot of clubs these are of diverse interests and NOT gliding clubs.

The four letter word incident was at YOUR club when I was helping out YOUR engineer on MY weekend so that the YOUR members could fly!

The other incident I cant explain since I had never set foot in the place !

I have never had any problems at any other clubs ( flying or other activitys ) and I am sure that most glider pilots are reasonable people and may be I have just been unlucky but so far I have had my fill of the self important and pathetic types that I seem to encounter when ever I go near a gliding club.

Perhaps gliding needs a club that is run on a commercial basis like most flying clubs rather than clubs run by any one who can be persuaded to stand for election while the others carp on about what a bad job they are doing but are not prepared to put any effort in themselves...............ring any bells?

Flying_Anorak
19th May 2012, 09:26
As the Chairman of OGC at Weston it's really nice to know that the efforts by all of our club members to make OGC a fun, friendly and safe place to fly are appreciated.

As mentioned in other threads on here, I'm in the latter stages of an NPPL conversion making the most of the credit you can get from a GPL and it really is a good grounding for flying with a fan. We are about to announce a deal for PPL / NPPL holders so pm me for details.

If anyone wants to pop in and see a friendly club in operation, please pm me for details.

Cheers,

Paul.

thing
19th May 2012, 10:47
Thing, I got a substantial reduction in hours required for my PPL in South Africa on strength of my GPL. Many moons ago, yes, and not the U.K., agreed, but seeing as the old South African system was virtually a blueprint of the old U.K. setup, perhaps there may be some truth to this? Certainly worth looking into, I should think?

I think if you had a silver C many moons ago you could convert to a PPL in a minimum of ten hours. I have a silver C and did a JAR-PPL last year. I was allowed one hour off of the minimum of 45 hours for each ten hours gliding up to a maximum of ten hours off. So if you have 100+ hours P1 gliding you can get 10 hours knocked off the 45hr minimum. Mind you, that was last year, it all might have changed again by now.

Doodlebug
19th May 2012, 11:57
Yes, I do remember that one had to have completed the Silver-C, but can't remember what the then 'D.C.A.' specified as a minimum of powered hours required, as opposed to the normal minimum of 45 hours. I checked my first log, got it done in 28.5 hours but if memory serves there were others who finished it in less time, under the same dispensation. It was a substantial money-saver!

mary meagher
19th May 2012, 22:17
Ah yes, back in the mists of time, 10 hours and a silver C in gliding, plus passing the usual ground exams and a flight test, could win the little brown wallet. It actually took me 18 hours of power training, I found the principle difficulty was communication. Already knew how to aviate and navigate...

For those that might not be acquainted with the requirements for the Silver Certificate, it involves a 50 kilometer distance flight, a gain of height from a low point of 1,000 meters, and FIVE HOURS ENDURANCE. Chap in our club did his five hours on our ridge, in February. Average height above the ridge about 300 feet, definitely a man able to sustain great suffering.

On a good classic day in mid Britain in May or June, thermals in streets, not that difficult to stay up for five hours and go places, even in a fairly primitive glider like the K8, which can climb on a sparrow's fart, as they say. But doesn't penetrate into wind very well, so most K8 50 k flights are done in a downwind dash. Your friends come to get you, and all stop at a pub on the way home.

The best things about gliding are fun and friendship. And personal achievement.

thing
19th May 2012, 22:41
Did all of my silver in a K8. Great glider IMO. Obviously not suited to modern comps but just a classic glider to fly.

Edit: a quick glance at the logbook and I did my 5 hours when it was 30C on the ground. Made the comment 'never been so cold in my life' in the logbook when I landed. Spent most of it at 8,000'+ in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt....still have the baro trace (do you remember them!). In fact I remember smoking baros. Crikey I'm old.

MizzFlyer
20th May 2012, 11:08
Long ago, a Slingsby Swallow was my favourite - one with the big (Dart?) canopy. It flew like a brick but was fun. Moved for work, changed club and ended up on a K8 which was luxury in comparison. Happy memories. Never bothered to get any gliding paperwork beyong A&B cert. I do remember waiting enviously on the ground as the club 'lead seat' was away in the thermals:sad:

As usual the pathetic bickering of a small minority spoils the fun for all the others
I think there are people for whom the politics is the hobby, the club is just the vehicle. Get them everywhere. Sad thing is that if you let them get away with it they end up ruling the roost. Respect to the backroom boys and girls who quietly make things happen and keep our clubs running, whether it's gliding, squash or knitting.

Mz