PDA

View Full Version : SWOs

langleybaston
14th May 2012, 09:49
Do SWOs still exist?

Since retiring from "attached RAF" in 1996 I had understood that two stalwart breeds had disappeared from the orbat:

Station Adjt went yonks ago I think. Duties absorbed into somewhere in WgCo Admin empire?

SWO also gone?

Please someone put me straight.

Climebear
14th May 2012, 10:04
The position of SWO still exists.

Back in the days of old, they were fillied by the WOs of the RAF Admin Trade (part of TG10). This trade was made obsolete in the late 90s. SWO posts can now be filled by WOs of any trade (though some posts may restrict the holders to specific trades (eg Gunner)).

orgASMic
14th May 2012, 10:33
Stn Adjt still exists, too. OC GD Flt was rebadged as Stn Adjt around the year 2000.

Shack37
14th May 2012, 11:26
If SWOs disappeared there would be chaos and we would all be doomed......doomed I tell ye!

coldbuffer
14th May 2012, 11:52
Get your hair cut you orrible man :)

Burnt Fishtrousers
14th May 2012, 12:15
"PUT THAT FAG OUT!! CANT YOU SMELL GAS!!!"

jamesman
14th May 2012, 12:42
I remeber as a young (ish) Pilot Officer, my first real posting was at RAF Laarbruch, not long after arriving, I managed to acquire a station bike (the type with wheels!). Proudly bimbling around the stn on a daily basis doing what good Pilot Officers did (best rank in the Air Force, as you didn't really do anything except look sheepish every time you opened your mouht!) always on my big A framed bike, cycling along hands in pockets, whistling. All of a sudden the SWO jumnpeed out from bushes (doing what I have no idea) and give me a sound bo**ocking for not riding a bicylce in an 'Officer like fashion'! It was worse than being in front of the headmaster at school!
Also remeber the SWO who was at HW in early nineties who had a little square bit of grey/sandy hair on the back of his head just above the collar, one day all the boys (with balls) came through gate, where he paraded evry morning, with a small square of masking tape on the back of their head......impressed, sadly not as manny found out that day!!

Hope the SWO stays and never dies!:)

Jamesman

salad-dodger
14th May 2012, 14:14
nearly 3 hours ;)

diginagain
14th May 2012, 14:29
He's having his nap.

langleybaston
14th May 2012, 14:35
Many thanks, except for one offering, the SWO and the Adjt live, the sun is in its heaven.

A churchwarden is the C of E counterpart of a SWO, I think:

church tidy and clean until congregation arrive, hymn and prayer books all right way up, neat hymn number board, lectern bible correct at first lesson, bell-ringers finish as organ starts, everyone in correct seat, late arrivals duly glared at, padre privately admonished after service if sermon longer than 12 minutes .................

Spit the Dog
14th May 2012, 16:00
Did a little stint (7 months ) as a SWO as NCO Aircrew and during this time had to attend a WOs conference at Halton which was attended by lots of SWOs from the 'Rocks' branch. In the bar afterwards, all the 'Rocks' formed a little group and sent one of them over to me while I was chatting to a fellow NCO Aircrew fella. Conversation went as follows;
"Are you that Aircrew SWO fella from ****?"
"What if I am?"
"Well my mates and I, who are all SWOs want to know are you still getting flying pay while your doing the SWO job?"
"Not only am I getting Flying Pay, I'm also getting SWOs pay, £13.50 a day"
"SWOs PAY ????"
"Yep..if you have over 2000 uniformed personal on your unit you can claim SWOs pay"
Rock now calls over to his fellow mates
"Dave..how many you got at Catterick?"
"About 1800!"
"Well you won't get it..what about you Steve..how many you got at Wittering?
"About 2200...why?" "Do you get SWOs pay?" "NO...!"
"Tell you mate then when he gets back to Wittering to go and see the Chf Clrk and get it back dated"

After he scuttles off, my fellow NCO Aircrew mate says to me, " I didn't know you got SWOs pay!"

" I DONT...BUT THEY DONT KNOW THAT!"
Priceless.

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
14th May 2012, 16:09
Stn Adjt still exists, too. OC GD Flt was rebadged as Stn Adjt around the year 2000.

What goes around, comes around. That was the name up to the early/mid 1960s.

Aaron.

Tourist
14th May 2012, 16:22
Doesn't matter what you call them, they're still tw@ts

Courtney Mil
14th May 2012, 17:50
Getting on for 7 hours now. BEags, are you there?

Green Flash
14th May 2012, 17:56
I'm sure I've seen a SWOess on my travels. Can't think where I saw her and I'm sure she didn't wish to speak to this bit of JO pondlife, but I'm sure I've seen one.

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
14th May 2012, 18:14
I'm sure I've seen a SWOess on my travels. Can't think where I saw her and I'm sure she didn't wish to speak to this bit of JO pondlife, but I'm sure I've seen one.

There was a female SWO at Brampton/Wyton a few years ago.

cornish-stormrider
14th May 2012, 18:16
Charge 360, CLEAR!!!!
BZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAPPPPPP

thread restart failed, continue TPR (thread tyPing Resus)

Paging Dr Beags, Paging Dr Beags. OI Deaf Old Fart, typie typie. your turn to swing the Lantern

Wander00
14th May 2012, 18:42
Beags woudld only want the "Don't shout at me Mr Warwick" pic again!

El_Presidente
14th May 2012, 19:06
Beags was a SWO...!? Oh bless!

:E

Wander00
14th May 2012, 19:16
No, I don't think Beags was a SWO, but he seems to have a reputation for having a "thing" about that actress, what's her name.....?

1.3VStall
14th May 2012, 20:11
W00,

Thank goodness you didn't mention SY's name as Beags would have posted that picture of her in her S & S and I would never have got to sleep tonight!

Wiretensioner
14th May 2012, 20:53
Surprised P Navigator hasn't piped up either. He seems to have a view on everything else.

Wiretensioner

Midlifec
14th May 2012, 21:13
Female SWO at Lossie late 80's- the first?

Tiger_mate
14th May 2012, 21:33
There was a SWOess at Valley in 84. Fearsome woman, but when T_M found himself potentialy deep smelly stuff one christmas duty, she proved to be pragmatic and fair whilst maintaining her reputation intact. That was tact, diplomacy and discipline at its finest.

iRaven
15th May 2012, 00:45
Ok, I'll do it then...

...DON'T YOU YELL AT ME, MR WARWICK!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmlvxwDet11qzwdjso1_1280.jpg

The Helpful Stacker
15th May 2012, 05:25
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/SYork03.jpg

4fitter
15th May 2012, 05:34
SWOess at Benson 82/83. R****l G*****e. Top lady.

Haraka
15th May 2012, 05:35
Brampton's Ma'am SWO was in post 1979 IIRC. R**** B***
A wonderful character and a good mate of the late Diana Dors.

BEagle
15th May 2012, 07:42
Ah yes, Diana Dors whose real name was Diana Fluck. The following anecdote may or may not be true:

"Diana Dors once asked and readily agreed to open a fete in her home town of Swindon. She lunched with the local vicar, during which, she let slip that her real name was Diana Fluck. The vicar became somewhat worried about his planned speech.

"After lunch, they arrived at the appointed time. The vicar began and uttered these immortal words. 'Ladies and gentlemen, it is with great pleasure that I introduce to you, our star guest, we all love her and especially as she is our local girl. I therefore feel it right to introduce her by her real name, Ladies and Gentlemen, Miss Diana Clunt.'"

Thanks for the nice photos of the late Susannah, who sadly left us just over a year ago. WO Warwick was played by Michael Bates, of Patton and It Ain't Half Hot, Mum fame. He served as a Major with the Brigade of Ghurkas in WW2, hence his military bearing in Battle of Britain came quite naturally to him. Regrettably, he died in 1978 at the relatively young age of 57.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/MrW.jpg http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/SOH.jpg

DC10RealMan
15th May 2012, 08:00
I saw the SWO at Linton on Ouse recently and he certainly looked the part with pace stick and cap at RAFP style.

He turned out to be a really nice chap but I am a civilian.

Tankertrashnav
15th May 2012, 08:50
Google Image Result for http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/feeley/photoalbum2/schick/dannygourd.jpg (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en&biw=859&bih=557&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=d4fqP-OwY8gcwM:&imgrefurl=http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/feeley/photoalbum2/schick/danny1.htm&docid=R0Y5KQpzk6_msM&itg=1&imgurl=http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/feeley/photoalbum2/schick/dannygourd.jpg&w=400&h=279&ei=9xeyT7a3D8qf0QXptvS0CQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=71&vpy=2&dur=297&hovh=187&hovw=269&tx=174&ty=97&sig=114625339502044275900&page=1&tbnh=104&tbnw=135&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:72)

Now there was a real SWO (or strictly speaking Depot Warrant Officer). The legendary Danny Gourd who was SWO at Catterick c 1966.

langleybaston
15th May 2012, 09:27
In the 1950s the Head at a Surrey GS [I am told] was one Mr Fluck.

The boys called him Noel.

Never understood it myself.

Nessa
15th May 2012, 13:56
RAF Norfolk has finally got a "proper" SWO who is turning the place on its head and a top bloke he is too!

Al R
15th May 2012, 15:04
I could tell you some tales about said proper SWO..

Seriously though, agreed. He is one of the few blokes who you can say, with a fair degree of confidence, that he will be remembered well, for a while after he leaves. He's also on my Linked in and Facebook page and he's bigger than me so I better be nice to him.

His background (and the breadth of it recently) makes him a useful CASWO candidate.

sisemen
15th May 2012, 15:46
played by Michael Bates, of Patton and It Ain't Half Hot, Mum fame.

Not forgetting Blamire in "Last of the Summer Wine". :ok:

1859sqn
15th May 2012, 19:57
Am trying to remember the name of the SWO at Benson and then Odiham late 60s/early 70s. Jack someone i think? VERY old school!

longer ron
15th May 2012, 20:08
Jack Holt ??
We had the pleasure of JH at cottesmore in 1974ish.
Actually he wasnt a bad old stick but we used to avoid whenever possible ;):)

chanter
15th May 2012, 20:24
Joe Overall, SWO at Lossie 1980. Mad as a box of frogs but superb vocabulary of SWO type rollickings

He used to hide out behind the transit cabins outside South Block and snare a load of 8 squadron trooping onto the bus in the morning.

NutLoose
15th May 2012, 20:26
Yup Jack Holt, remember him from Odious, a man totally devoid of humour.

Al R
15th May 2012, 20:45
ttn,

Danny gets a few mentions here;

Warrant Officer's you never forget - RAF Forum (http://rafforum.activeboard.com/t10325406/warrant-officers-you-never-forget/?page=4&sort=oldestFirst)

Tankertrashnav
15th May 2012, 20:58
Thanks Al - great story about him getting everyone to de-bus by rank - priceless :ok:

1859sqn
15th May 2012, 21:57
Jack HOLT that was it! Thanks guys. He broke his leg one night at Odiham in '72 when he fell down an open manhole cover....

Al R
16th May 2012, 04:44
ttn,

Thats probably the sort of thing that you appreciate as the years go by! We used to have to dig in on the sqn (Akr) as informal punishment and live there if we wrecked the blocks. (WO) Brain Deeley used to say '.. if you want to live like animals, I'll treat you like one - go live in the bondu'.

I think that 34 Sqn's compound got the chop recently (the one by the Lightning), but I was lucky to get one last look around last year and reminisced when I saw the faint outline in the ground where the trenches used to be dug out, filled in, dug out, filled in... Brian banned me from every establishment on the island with the exception of Tip Top Toyshop on the Limassol bypass when I emptied a bottle of fullers earth onto the upper surface of a roof mounted room fan before his pre-AOC inspection/electrics check.

Good days.

langleybaston
16th May 2012, 08:24
Mr Smith, SWO RAF Nicosia c. 1962 ............. changed his KDs mid-day and indeed more often when it was a big swagger day. The Staish was Mickey Martin, who, on this day, played a leading role in the 617 dams raid. A dreadful cadger of cigarettes when he visited Met., next to ATC.

Fortunately his daughter was a member of my wife's Guide Company, thus the camps "on camp" were provided with every necessity: a daily water bowser, extra tentage, some jankers men to dig latrines, a garry on demand to take a poorly girl to "Sick Quarters" as they were known.......

A great man. I seem to recall that his pride and joy car was dropped from a lighter in Piraeus on his way home ........ not by a disgruntled retired airman, as was rumoured.

howiehowie93
16th May 2012, 08:57
Also remeber the SWO who was at HW in early nineties who had a little square bit of grey/sandy hair on the back of his head just above the collar, one day all the boys (with balls) came through gate, where he paraded evry morning, with a small square of masking tape on the back of their head.....

I reckon that could only be one man! Ex-Tremblers Admin Sgt & RAF Tennis Coach in the 80's. we did that too one day, I don't think he caught on.

HH93

howiehowie93
16th May 2012, 09:02
I'm sure I've seen a SWOess on my travels.

There was a very nice SWOess at Hereford when JT Howie turned up go on GST 1 in the 90's.

Told me to watch out for the Sgt(ess) instructors on the course as they were power mad B**ches !!!!:ok:trying to corrupt the RAF way of life with a load of PC rubbish!!!

She was prolly right too.

HH93

Blue Bottle
16th May 2012, 18:10
SWO seems to be a great job, be interesting to hear from any SWO's if it's a really enjoyable job

NutLoose
16th May 2012, 18:21
Jack HOLT that was it! Thanks guys. He broke his leg one night at Odiham in '72 when he fell down an open manhole cover....

Remember his oppo Cpl Brooks, used to come on the tannoy with a real broad Yorkshire accent... "staaaannnd Biy fur brooowwdcassssst gaaaardruuum tanoih". The minute he came on we used to rush to phone the Guardroom because in all the years he was there, he never cottoned on that everytime he was on the tannoy the phone next to the mike would ring and it flustered him.

stevef
16th May 2012, 18:58
RAF Colerne, early 70s - SAC stevef, theoretically the week's lower floor billet orderly, is lounging on his bed checking out the Sun's Page 3 girl after having enjoyed a late breakfast and rearranged the dust. Room door suddenly opens and in strides the ex-Air Gunner SWO (WO L**man).
SAC stevef leaps from his bed in anticipation of a supercharged rollicking for shirking... SWO gathers Vesuvian momentum, but luckily stevef has several Aeroplane Monthly centrefold photographs taped to his locker. SWO stalls, points at a Lancaster, looks nostalgic and recollects when he crewed them in WW2. Departs a minute or so later after amiably suggesting that SAC stevef carries on with his duties.
Saved by Avro. :ok:

PeterHai
16th May 2012, 20:00
Having retired from the RAF recently, my last post was as SWO at a front line fighter station. It was one of the best jobs I have had during my 37+ yrs as a techie. Yes there were times when I asked myself "why did I volunteer for this" but mainly it was a great role with all ranks showing the respect that I would expect for the post.

camelspyyder
17th May 2012, 09:52
I'm sure being the SWO is a great job. However nobody wants it these days. Manning have been after SWO volunteers for 5 different stations for at least the last 6 months.

Fareastdriver
17th May 2012, 10:45
Manning have been after SWO volunteers

From a previous post.

"Well my mates and I, who are all SWOs want to know are you still getting flying pay while your doing the SWO job?"
"Not only am I getting Flying Pay, I'm also getting SWOs pay, £13.50 a day"

There's your answer.

Tashengurt
17th May 2012, 21:03
There was a female SWO at Leuchars in the early nineties. A bit of a beer monster by all accounts. Not sure if my memory serves me correctly but I think she presided over an AOC's parade where the AOC demanded it was done again? I stand to be corrected on all points. Especially whether she was actually female!

mmitch
18th May 2012, 09:53
The RAF website article on the jubilee parade has an excellent photo of a drill sargent in action!
Best Foot Forward (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/best-foot-forward-17052012)
mmitch.

Lord Trenchards Brat
18th May 2012, 09:59
Peter Hai

I knew you as a techie and laterly as SWO - you were a gent in both posts. Respect is much about the person as it is the rank or position.:ok:

DSAT Man
18th May 2012, 11:23
Midlifec, you are referring to the indomitable Eileen Beasley (Miss Beasley to you and I). Built like the size of a small country, she was quite possibly one of scariest brutes I have ever seen and was more than a match for her oppo over at Kinloss, WO Dennis 'Puncher' Hyman.

My (female) boss had the pleasure of accompanying Miss Beasley down from the Moray Firth when they both attended the old 2-week NBC Cell Controllers Course at Winterbourne Gunner. Deciding to try and fill the Saturday after the first week with a visit to Salisbury, they went to the big market there and agreed to meet after an hour.

Anne was first at the agreed RV and was pleased with her purchase of curtain material. However, she could not suppress her mirth when she spotted Eileen coming back to meet up with her, lugging a Black and Decker Workmate through the crowds of people. 'Bargain ma'am!' she hooted on her return.

I believe she became SWO at Cosford as well later on in her life.

Tiger_mate
18th May 2012, 19:37
This thread entry 24 was also Eileen circa 82 at Valley as SWO.

SRENNAPS
19th May 2012, 08:00
Joe Overall, SWO at Lossie 1980. Mad as a box of frogs but superb vocabulary of SWO type rollickings

I wonder if that was the same Overall that was at RAF St Athan in the mid seventies where I lived on West Camp as a scaley brat.

He would even bollack us kids for playing footie on “his” grass areas between the quarters. :=

om15
19th May 2012, 16:35
SRENNAPS,

Yes, same bloke, I often speak to his son, who is the most helpfull person in CAA Engineer Licensing,

BR om15

NutLoose
19th May 2012, 16:55
No longer in licensing, never realised it was his son.

sled dog
19th May 2012, 17:40
Anyone remember SWO Mcarthy (sp?) Binbrook early / mid 60s ? Ex WW2 AG. Put the fear of God into everyone, especially 64 Sqdn, officers included .

SRENNAPS
19th May 2012, 18:33
om15,

Many thanks for the confirmation. Please pass on my regards to his son as I am sure his dad would remeber my dad:ok:

I might be wrong but does anybody recall a SWO by the name of Irene Kennedy at Laarbruch around 1998. She might have actually been promoted to SWO when she got posted to Scotland?? Well she used to have a young puppy Golden Retriever called Champ. When she was posted to Scotland she gave Champ to her brother (Roy) who in turn gave him to us at age 18 months.

Well Champ is now 14 and still doing well. A bit dodgy on his legs but still the cheeky little blighter he always was. If anybody knows Irene, please let her know:)

thing
19th May 2012, 22:03
There was a female SWO at Cosford when I was there as an instructor 88-92. She was married to one of my oppos who was a Chf Tech flight systems guy.

Of course the classic retort to a SWO was if the shout 'AIRMAN' was launched at you from a fairly safe and unrecognisable distance was to shout back 'SWO' and run like buggery.

chanter
20th May 2012, 10:36
Brian Grindrod, SWO at Scampton around 1993. A true gentleman and perfect example of a SWO.

Del Shannon, F/S disp at Sek Kong late 80's who thought he was a SWO. A complete T**t with a Cpl disp who was never far from his backside.

Scariest WO ever, The Irish Garrison Sergeant Major, Borneo Lines. Projectile bollockings you could hear from the guardroom to the control tower and that's a mighty long road.

dkh51250
20th May 2012, 20:29
Prior to being at Scampton Brian Grindrod was SWO at RAF Gatow. As stated the absolute personification of a SWO. His son, a chip off the old block was following in fathers footsteps until an unfortunate rugby accident cut short a very promising career whilst he was serving at RAF(H) Wegberg.

salad-dodger
21st May 2012, 07:02
There was a female SWO at Cosford when I was there as an instructor 88-92. She was married to one of my oppos who was a Chf Tech flight systems guy.
I assume that would be Jan M*****? I remember her as a Flt Sgt from when I was going through training around 85-86. A formidable woman, but well respected.

S-D

thing
21st May 2012, 12:06
I assume that would be Jan M*****? I remember her as a Flt Sgt from when I was going through training around 85-86. A formidable woman, but well respected.

That would be the one. Come to think of it, I wonder if she was the SWO or a F/S dsicip at the time when I was there? 20 odd years ago, memory might be playing tricks. Her hubby was the mildest mannered guy you could wish to meet oddly enough!

vernon99
21st May 2012, 16:27
That would be the one. Come to think of it, I wonder if she was the SWO or a F/S dsicip at the time when I was there? 20 odd years ago, memory might be playing tricks. Her hubby was the mildest mannered guy you could wish to meet oddly enough!

Hmm She was a FS late in 1987, I remember her well as she boarded the busload of new recruits - fresh from Swinderby - "REET now gentlemen, you'll get off the bus in an orderly manner - and that does nae mean you'll talk!" GULP - she was invited to our graduation 3 years later, but I cannot remember if she was a WO at that time.

thing
21st May 2012, 16:39
3 years later? If you were an appo there's a good chance I taught you! Spent 88-90 on the Avionics Project Team writing the new avionics syllabus and then 90-92 teaching in the newly refurbed Fulton Block, in which I actually lived (room 51 I think it was) as a very shiny new airman on trade training in '74. I believe Fulton block was the largest single accomodation block in the RAF. It kicked started my interest in teaching, which is what I went into when I left the Air Force. Cosford was my best tour in the mob, loved it there. Great location, great facilities and of course a gliding club!

mrmrsmith2
21st May 2012, 19:01
ah Eileen Beasley was swo at rhien d in 88 -90, built like a brick **** house, though I nearly throw up on her , doing drill in the Naafi (queensway) after a heavy night. And she was no happy when we took her stick apart at the xmas dinner either, funny doo you had too be a gp ctn or above to serve us , even the dep cnc did his bit, Beasley no happy when he filled our glasses, there was an extra one, so its was yamb sinng sir he he ahh good times...........

salad-dodger
21st May 2012, 21:57
Jan M****** joined Apprentice Squadron as the Flt Sgt Discip, must have been around 85. She was there as the Flt Sgt when I passed out in late 86. Her husband, that would have been Kieran M*****, and you're right thing.

S-D

thing
21st May 2012, 22:41
Ah, not Kieran but Ciaran as he used to point out to me...:)