PDA

View Full Version : Filming Chopper?

gazandwiz
13th May 2012, 10:16
Just seen what might have been a squirrel flying really slowly over my house with a white cuboid box attached underneath. The box had two rectangular glass windows on the bottom. Anyone know what this might be? I'm in a VRP village near Denham airfield.
Just being nosey;)
Cheers
Gaz

OvertHawk
13th May 2012, 11:27
could have been thermal / electromagnetic imaging of powerlines to check for faults - you got a set of big wires nearby?

gazandwiz
13th May 2012, 11:40
Not around the residential areas. But there are big ones elsewhere. He was almost in the hover.

gazandwiz
13th May 2012, 15:35
It's been doing sweeps all day and there's no Notam. Beginning to think its doing 3d photography, hence the two glass windows in the box, maybe for the HS2 line, which is going right under our village:(

Gordy
13th May 2012, 15:38
Put your tinfoil hat on quick...

drivereight
13th May 2012, 15:41
It sounds like a LIDAR installation on that aircraft. It is a laser mapping unit that is used to produce a highly accurate, 3D image of the surface for city planning, flood risk studies, exploration, etc..

ironchefflay
13th May 2012, 21:20
they have found oil. Prepare to Move!

hookes_joint
14th May 2012, 00:25
My first post on PPRUNE having joined here almost five years ago. Such exciting times. Anyway this could be a number of things but I worked for a company in Virginia that did Lidar. This uses light to make a 3D projection of whatever is underneat.
All PGA golfcourses and Racetracks use this to get exact projections of Slants Dips etc on the surface. Power companies use it to ensure correct required distance in the corridor from Large powerlines to the vegatation. We would mount it directly underneat our 206s or on the Tyler mounts of a 500. It can be done as low as 200-300 ft for greater deposition of the light or higher to get more area but less deposition. The lower you go the slower you have to go. Also we would do low level inspections and have a doddle around once completed so low slow helis in Residential areas are very common.Obviously once maintaining in accordance with Far 91 and Lasors FCL whatever part...... The big players at this in the US are Geo digital whose main office is in Canada but do this all over the world or CBH+ in Va. Others now are starting out as it's required by EPRI for anyone that runs 500kv lines. I know Rogers in Ca and Haverfield in Pa are getting going.

Peter-RB
14th May 2012, 09:04
They use something like that in Burnley to sniff out Cannabis plants growing in roof space voids..!;)

PeterR-B
Lancashire