PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new car in Dubai

NGFellow
13th May 2012, 08:12
Wondering if anyone would have information about EPC discounts for automobile purchases. Looking at buying an SUV (Ford-Expedition type).

ruserious
13th May 2012, 08:22
Have on look at Groupworld, it lists prices and discounts EK employees get with Ford in Dubai

alwayzinit
13th May 2012, 09:17
Al Tayer knock a nice wedge off normal list price.:)

YYZ
13th May 2012, 09:18
I bought a new 2010 model explorer last year, as Ek staff I got 30k off sticker price, was the same for the expedition also.

NGFellow
13th May 2012, 09:19
Thanks for the info, Ford it is then!

BigGeordie
13th May 2012, 09:26
VW offer a good discount if the Touraeg is big enough for you.

NGFellow
13th May 2012, 09:38
I like the Touareg as well. It looks a lot like the Porsche Cayenne, and a lot more reasonably priced!

Dropp the Pilot
13th May 2012, 09:41
A Touareg is a Cayenne. Google.

Sheikh Your Bootie
13th May 2012, 09:56
The Touraeg's A/C is not good, and parts are $$$ when out of warranty. The new Explorer is a good vehicle, great A/C like most yank tanks. Much cheaper too with our discount!! :ok:

SyB :zzz:

NGFellow
13th May 2012, 10:03
Thanks for the information. Somehow, I don't quite like the new body style of the Explorer (2011-2012). I prefer the older body style (2010) or else the Expedition which does not seem to have changed. Not sure if the dealer would still have any 2010 Explorers in stock though. Al Tayer is advertising the base model Expedition at around 105K on their website. I am guessing the loaded version will be around 120-130K without any discount. I had heard that many European models had A/C problems in the UAE.

vfenext
13th May 2012, 11:22
The Explorer is well known in Dubai as the most depreciating car on the road. 5 minutes after you buy it the value drops by 30%. Be warned resale will cost you your shirt.

Dropp the Pilot
13th May 2012, 11:36
Quite like the look of the new one so test drove it. Machine rides and handles well with ample power. However, after about 15 minutes both the wifey and I remarked that it did not seem to be cooling down in the cabin in the slightest despite "max" aircon being selected. The saleslady in the back seat did her best to act like she had never heard such a thing before but suggested we take the vehicle back and try a different Explorer. It was the same.

falconeasydriver
13th May 2012, 13:06
Bought another US institution, the dreaded Durango, very simple, very robust, and VERY thirsty. That said the A/C is positively artic and cools the thing down in about 60-90 seconds in the middle of summer.
I don't have a high opinion of the good old ford exploder as friends ones needed lots of servicing.

Payscale
13th May 2012, 15:19
If you like a cayenne, buy a cayenne.
Look alikes you will regret, even if the part commonality is high.
You buy more than nuts an bolts.

Bunktime
13th May 2012, 15:49
Any hummers up for grabs in dubai. Where might i try..
And what $$ am i looking at. Ballpark figures would suffice.
Thanks

ManaAdaSystem
13th May 2012, 18:29
Dubizzle.com (http://dubai.dubizzle.com/search/CL/?is_search=1&is_basic_search_widget=1&keywords=hummer)

NGFellow
14th May 2012, 06:52
A brand new 2012 Expedition is around 135K with the leather package and the EPC discount from Al Thayer. A used one starts around 80K on dubizzle depending on the year. I like the Cayenne and the Range Rover HSE but the prices are a bit steep.

helen-damnation
14th May 2012, 13:04
Get a proper Landcruiser if you can afford it. Failing that, the Pajero is a very good car for the money. Personally I don't rate the Prado, expensive compared to the Pajero.
HD

Demented
15th May 2012, 04:25
If you are not planning on much desert time, look at the Honda Pilot, great size, great a/c and not overpriced. No problems and servicing pretty good. Very good safety features.....necessary in DXB :)

NGFellow
15th May 2012, 06:26
I own a 2004 Pilot and have been very pleased with it. I was thinking of trying another brand for a few years in the desert.

BigGeordie
15th May 2012, 07:25
Watch out for special servicing/warranty offers if buying new. A three year/45,000km maintenance contract can make a big difference to your running costs. As can a 5 year warranty. Both can make good negotiating points if they aren't included already.

SassyPilotsWife
24th May 2012, 22:51
Silver, fast, convertible. I'll sell it to you next time hubby is on a trip !
I want a new Maxima, Lexus, F150 Lariat 4x4, or boat.

( wondering if hubby is reading Pprune) :p

Will sell for market price but you have to assume the cost of speeding tickets pending :E

NGFellow
1st Jun 2012, 14:12
Does anyone have any experience with getting minor paint and body work done in Dubai? If so, suggestions as to where to go are appreciated. I need to have some minor door scratches and dings fixed and painted. The dealership is an option (Al Thayer) but was told that they tend to overcharge on even minor paint repair.

ruserious
3rd Jun 2012, 06:59
Dentmaster are great at small repairs, otherwise try Sara Autocare behind Times Square

Gulfstreamaviator
3rd Jun 2012, 07:02
Now she wants a boat...... the UAQ life style......

Take care in UAQ...

glf

Gulfstreamaviator
3rd Jun 2012, 07:04
I had a full respray, inc panel removal, dents pushed/pulled.

Apart from longer than planned, very very good price.

Al Tayer in RAK...need your work....... DXB, just too busy and charge whar they can cos they can.

NGFellow
3rd Jun 2012, 09:07
Thanks for the info. I found another place, ZainCarCare in Ras Al Khor Industrial area based on reviews on several expat forums. They gave me a very reasonable price and they give EK employees a discount on detailing services. They also pick up and drop off your car. I will post my review once they are done with my car in a few days.

NGFellow
7th Jun 2012, 15:27
Update. Just got my SUV back from Zain Care Care in Ras Al Khor. Home - Zain Car Care (http://www.zaincarcare.com). They had it done a day earlier and I must say I am completely satisfied with the body work and paint they did in addition to the detailing of the exterior, interior and engine. It has a brand new look.
The drop/off and pick up was a great bonus and they did not charge me for that, although I tipped the driver.:ok:
EK employees get a special discount on detailing.