PDA

View Full Version : Private landing site needed. LEEDS

nellycopter
12th May 2012, 16:33
Hi all,
Still looking for a landing site somewhere close to Leeds center, just on the outskirts, with short taxi ride into town center, as single engine....
Leeds airfield is miles away and you have to wait ages for a taxi.
Private site, pub, business ???? Don't mind and I'm willing to pay landing fee !!

Regards
Nelly

SilsoeSid
12th May 2012, 23:04
In lieu of the Yorkshire rotorheads helping out, the only one I can find is;

Hazelwood Castle
Paradise Lane,
Hazlewood,
Leeds
North Yorkshire,
England, LS24 9NJ
website (http://www.hazlewood-castle.co.uk/)

Same distance as Leeds Bradford, but straight in on the A64, however it might be a bit more of a wait for a taxi. You could always ask for a lift.

They mention on their wedding page about arriving by helicopter, so I guess it's either here or LBA. Worth a ring though.
:ok:

misterbonkers
13th May 2012, 07:54
whereabouts in Leeds are you trying to get to? I know a couple of private sites just outside Crossgates, and another in New Farnley, they're about as close as you're going to get Single Engine.

Also, try the Woodlands Hotel;

Luxury Hotels in Sheffield, Leeds & Bradford | Woodlands Hotel (http://www.woodlandsleeds.com)

It's just off the M621 between Leeds and Ikea at J27. 10mins max into city centre.

Hazlewood castle is a bit too far out but the good news is they've now removed the big bush that took up most of the landing area!

nellycopter
14th May 2012, 07:09
Mmmmmm still looking, the poolys helicopter pad guide gave me the holiday inn at garforth,
Not as far in as we would have liked, but it's a start,
Although the £75 landing fee was a bit steep.......

There is a massive green belt wedge to the east of Leeds, garforth being on the outer edge, so I would think we could get pretty close to the center without needing caa approval etc, if we could find a spot.......
I will keep looking and let you know if I find a willing farmer / home owner with grounds......

Off to york today,

Nelly

SilsoeSid
14th May 2012, 07:46
It might be worth giving the guys at Bagby or Sherburn a ring.

md 600 driver
14th May 2012, 07:59
Nelly

I have a lz in York escrick if required

Steve

sapperkenno
14th May 2012, 08:12
There's a guy flies an Allouette (or llama or similar - I'm a plank driver, so please excuse my ignorance) from his house in Halton Moor. There's a helipad in his back garden. Someone on here might know who I'm talking about. You're talking 5-10 mins in a taxi to the City Centre from there.

Shame you can't use the massive car park thing that used to be a market at Cross Green.

krypton_john
14th May 2012, 08:12
Would any of the many golf courses within 15 minutes of the city center would allow a landing for a fee?

nellycopter
14th May 2012, 08:30
Cheers Steve, thanks for that,
Maybe one day I will meet up with you at Breighton and put a face to the name ???
Anyhow, gunna give the middlethorpe hall a go,
Just rung them and they say no landing fee, so long as you have a drink, or some food or stay there.......

As for the golf courses, I have tried most of them, still waiting for an answer from some of them but most are a no, as they are council owned......

Temple newsom golf course would have been perfect, as it's right close in....

Nelly.

md 600 driver
14th May 2012, 09:01
There is a guy Jp with a 300 that lives next door to woodlands Gs who lives at Halton moor can't accept other helis as probs with caa and locals nearby

It all depends where in Leeds you are going

EESDL
14th May 2012, 13:08
tell us where in Leeds you want to get to and perhaps we could offer a more relevant site?
for example, there is a handy site near Batley, but of little use if you want North Leeds.......:)

nellycopter
14th May 2012, 15:49
Leeds center,
Taxi from holiday in was £17
Plus the £75 landing fee....

Nelly....

SilsoeSid
14th May 2012, 16:54
Nice one Nelly.
Holiday Inn (Leeds) » Landing Site Details » Griffin Helicopters (http://www.griffin-helicopters.co.uk/sitedetails.aspx?site=Holiday%20Inn%20(Leeds))

For any similar requests;
Landing Site Map » Griffin Helicopters (http://www.griffin-helicopters.co.uk/landingsitemap.aspx)

nellycopter
14th May 2012, 19:58
The griffin site is now well out of date,
I seem to remember the guy who built it saying he needs to get round to updating the lists and maps etc, but just can't find time to do so....

SilsoeSid
14th May 2012, 20:19
It may well be Nelly, but the site you eventually used is there :ok:

krypton_john
14th May 2012, 22:19
I'm pretty sure Oulton Hall allows landings - not sure what conditions are.

nellycopter
15th May 2012, 05:37
Oulton hall £150 landing fee if your not resident .....

krypton_john
15th May 2012, 08:56
So you can't buy a packet of crisps to validate your parking ticket then? :-D

JTobias
15th May 2012, 16:17
Guys

Hilton Hotel (Leeds Garforth) or Gomersal Park Hotel

I have a Google Map with HLS under development here (http://www.jetbox.aero/helicopter-landing-sites-u-k/).

Joel :ok:

powerlimited
15th May 2012, 16:33
Some interesting suggestions here, but I fail to see how many of them are closer/more convenient than using Leeds/Bradford or the heliport at Coney Park?

Both of which have an ample supply of taxis/private hire and secure parking. Plus why get ripped off with a ridiculous landing fee, £10 + vat at the heliport last time we were in there.

Support aviation companies in these hard times rather than paying a muggish bullsh*t landing fee. :ugh:

misterbonkers
15th May 2012, 22:35
Or why not just go by train?

Coney Park is miles out of Leeds. It should be renamed Ilkley Moor Heliport.

Nelly - wouldn't you have been better off driving from Doncaster to Leeds...?

Joel - The Hilton is now Holiday Inn - must have been a few years since you were there ;o)

nellycopter
16th May 2012, 05:04
So ......
I have a 120 sat on the back lawn, and I should drive or get the train to Leeds ???
Train, when it works.......
Car 40 to 60 mins....
Heli, 10 mins...
This year I am trying to get everywhere without using a car....
It's 6.00am and the traffic outside our house is stood still already.....

Nelly

misterbonkers
16th May 2012, 07:52
Nelly - avoiding the car sounds good but realistically;

- Time spent seeking out landing sites & gaining permission
- Preflight
- Start-up & Shutdown
- Postflight
- Walking to/from A/C (often parked further away from building than the car park)
- Waiting for the Taxi to turn-up
- Transfer by taxi to your final destination

It might only be a 10-minute flight but on this occasion would alternative transport modes not have been more practical?

krypton_john
16th May 2012, 08:33
<shakes head> but then you don't get to fly a helicopter!

SilsoeSid
16th May 2012, 08:53
Nelly - avoiding the car sounds good but realistically;

- Time spent seeking out landing sites & gaining permission
- Preflight
- Start-up & Shutdown
- Postflight
- Walking to/from A/C (often parked further away from building than the car park)
- Waiting for the Taxi to turn-up
- Transfer by taxi to your final destination

It might only be a 10-minute flight but on this occasion would alternative transport modes not have been more practical?

I think you've forgotten that important little phase inbetween Start-up and Shutdown, that make all those other phases of the trip worth it.
:rolleyes:

nellycopter
16th May 2012, 15:52
Found a nice little landing spot today near pontefract...
On our way back from a great day out up and around Windermere..
The pontefract hotel is called kings croft hotel, nice little helipad. Just south of pontefract race course.
Off to try their lunch tomorow...

Landed at the in on the lake today on ullswater lake,
Scenery was amazing ......

I suppose I could have got in the car and drove for three and a half hours, to get there also, and then drove for another three and a half hours home .

Mmmmmmmm
I will let you all know the sp, on the hotel in pontefract....

Nelly

nellycopter
16th May 2012, 15:58
http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff371/Dazrobson/f503023f.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff371/Dazrobson/800bf1b4.jpg

misterbonkers
16th May 2012, 19:02
:rolleyes: at Silsoe - please re-read my post, and then re-read it again slllllloooooooowwwwwllllllllly.

"It might only be a 10-minute flight but on this occasion would alternative transport modes not have been more practical?"

A QUESTION not A STATEMENT. :ugh:

Nelly - the following map may also be very handy for Yorkshire landing sites (some club members are nearer to Leeds city centre than the Holiday Inn at Garforth). The Kings Croft is listed there too and is very good. As for driving to the Lakes - it's a pleasant one but I think I'd be tempted to fly there too (having had the fortune to land an Air Ambulance up there on several occasions!);

Home - Yorkshire Heli Club (http://yorkshireheliclub.moonfruit.com/#/places-to-go/4539132779)

Enjoy The Kings Croft. MB

DianeKH
21st Aug 2019, 17:28
Nelly

I have a lz in York escrick if required

Steve
Hi Steve,

Is there a charge at all please? I'd like to take my son for his 16th to the lovely Indian there by helicopter as a surprise :)

Many thanks,
Diane