PDA

View Full Version : The Role of the HR dept in Command Upgrades.

alwayzinit
12th May 2012, 10:15
Hi all,

Was wondering what others thought should be the role of the HR dept in selecting new Commanders.

Is it a) To ensure the correct number of candidates are available, by ensuring manning numbers are sufficient. Leaving the training and further progession of candidates to the Training dept.

or b) To allow to progess or veto prospective candidates at interview from their "vaste experience" of being in Command of an aircraft themselves.

Cheers

Alwayz

BigGeordie
12th May 2012, 14:37
Let me guess, just failed an upgrade interview?:E

alwayzinit
12th May 2012, 16:31
Um , Big Geordie................

Actually no, have been in the left seat for a number of years and the training dept.

My question is valid regarding the bluring of boundries no more.

But thanks for your fatuous comment:ugh:

apron
12th May 2012, 16:38
In my honest opinion HR should have no involvement in the upgrade process. What would be useful perhaps is if the training department put forward suitable candidates to the CP from merit in their training/checking career to date and the CP there after decided their suitability. I'm sure every CP should have the experience to judge character etc.... If not maybe in the wrong job :)

BYMONEK
14th May 2012, 12:54
apron

I agree entirely. The problem, however, is that HR is a monster. In this Company, they have their sticky tentacles wrapped firmly around avery element of staff employment. The more responsibility they have, the bigger the department becomes and the more important the VP, SVP and eventually the DSVP become.

There is no way on God's Earth they will relinquish control of pilot upgrades. Unfortunately!

"Anyway, enough of this flying rubbish.... can you please tell me a time when you needed to demonstrate assertiveness in the cockpit......." :ugh:

atiuta
14th May 2012, 13:20
If you're going to use big words like 'fatuous', then it's only fair that you spell the more straight forward ones correctly!

Perhaps HR should add a spelling exam to the command and training applicants assessment centres?

apron
14th May 2012, 14:21
Pretty sure you are the kinda guy that whilst reading your dictionary and dotting some 'i's might fly someone into a mountane lol ;)

atiuta
15th May 2012, 07:41
Just thinking pot kettle black

atiuta
15th May 2012, 09:45
Didn't take long for apron's honeymoon to end, 18 months. Plenty of chest beating and misguided opinion, which is exactly why we have HR input into ALL position changes of similar grades.

A strange initial post that gives two loaded responses, neither are correct. So why the question?

If you are capable and competent, they could use Darth Vader for all I care.

Luke

BYMONEK
15th May 2012, 09:57
atuita

Unfortunately, the concern is that to justify their role, they may be looking for things that aren't there. It wouldn't be the first time that fleet are happy but HR isn't.

Regarding the washups, they really are a waste of time. The 3 questions that our HR lady received were answered by;

1) I'll look into it.
2) Our hands are tied.
3) That's what the Company has decided to do.

So, all in all, pretty useless really. Mind you, the answers from fleet weren't much better!

atiuta
15th May 2012, 14:04
Well let that be a lesson to asking questions at a wash-up!

BYMONEK
15th May 2012, 16:32
The alternative? Just sit there and say nothing? Frustrating it may be, but whilst you may not get anywhwere, you're gauranteed to get bugger all if you don't speak up!

Praise Jebus
15th May 2012, 16:56
You'll get to go home earlier...:\

BYMONEK
16th May 2012, 05:55
Yep, that's a great idea. Go home 10 minutes early and let someone else fight the battle. As a pilot group, we're quite good at doing that. Biggest whingers in the bar and on the flight deck but lips are tightly sealed when opportunity knocks.

I used to be apathetic towards the issues that effect our working conditions but now I really can't be bothered

GMC1500
16th May 2012, 23:32
Haha, good one bymonek.
I was going to ask, have you ever had anything useful come out of asking questions at a washup? but I see you get my point. Let's just go home early. That's why I bring my own transport.