PDA

View Full Version : Sonic gun deployed for Olympics

ricardian
12th May 2012, 06:15
Reuters report (http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/05/11/uk-britain-olympics-sonic-idUKBRE84A1BV20120511) that "Britain's military will be armed with a sonic device that can be used as a high-volume loudspeaker or a non-lethal weapon to disperse crowds at this summer's Olympic Games in London"
I'd have thought that one or two old-style Station Warrant Officers would be adequate

diginagain
12th May 2012, 06:21
I though the response on Arrse was funnier;

Sonic Weapon (http://www.arrse.co.uk/naafi-bar/181661-sonic-weapon.html)

glad rag
12th May 2012, 08:23
"Britain's military will be armed with a sonic device that can be used as a high-volume loudspeaker or a non-lethal weapon to disperse crowds

Slippery slope I tell ya!:hmm:

OLD METL
12th May 2012, 08:39
I have first-hand experience with this device. It causes intense auditory pain, a pulse spike along with accompanying risk of seizure, heart attacks, and other stroke-like damage. It is available online and is used by thugs to get rid of "nosy" residents (and their loud pets) so aforementioned thugs can do illegal things in apartments. It can go through walls. You could lose your medical.

I have a dull ache in my inner ear and the tinnitus is only just now fading.

Our state legal system does not recognize electronic harassment as a crime. The police will not help me because "there is no crime."

If you think it could not happen to you, think again. Thugs already use kick box speakers as a dealer signaling device. I am moving to the country.

Milo Minderbinder
12th May 2012, 10:06
I have a dull ache in my inner ear and the tinnitus is only just now fading.

I see you're still married then....

diginagain
12th May 2012, 10:26
I gather that wrapping your head in swathes of tin-foil might help.

NutLoose
12th May 2012, 12:02
They be deploying all of the torch bearers next as flare countermeasures... :O

BEagle
13th May 2012, 14:01
Infrasonic effects are little understood, although their use in weaponry has been operational for quite some time...

An infrasonic device built into binoculars has been used on occasion to nobble race horses, the stress from infrasound causing confusion and the jockey to be thrown. Another effect was the tyre judder in some racing cars cornering at the limit being transmitted back throught the wheel causing the driver to black out.

Crowd disruption using a ghetto blaster pushing out slighty different tones from each speaker with a frequency difference calculated to generate an infrasonic non-lethal effect isn't new either.

An early example of infrasonic effect was the TSR-2 undercarriage system. On landing it caused a vibration effect which was the natural frequency of the human eyeball, so for a brief period after landing the crew couldn't focus on their instruments....:hmm:

NutLoose
13th May 2012, 14:15
Wasn't there something about the Phantom at certain power settings giving off a sound resonance that could break down the tissues in the chest of anyone standing near the engines?

dazdaz1
13th May 2012, 14:48
Ah... Would not the sonic gun be useless if the bad boys used deaf terrorists?

Daz

sitigeltfel
13th May 2012, 14:59
Wouldn't it have been cheaper, and more effective, to hire Brian Blessed?

BEagle
13th May 2012, 16:06
Infrasonic sound is, by definition, below the lower frequency limit of the human ear.....:rolleyes:

Pontius Navigator
13th May 2012, 18:25
Wasn't there something about the Phantom at certain power settings giving off a sound resonance that could break down the tissues in the chest of anyone standing near the engines?

Aye, but you also tended to get fried too :}

Dark Helmet
14th May 2012, 09:13
Being near to the airframe of the Phantom during reheat runs could be quite painful on the body sometimes and then, when it smoothed out, you felt better. I guess that the power setting had a lot to do with that.

The Tornado was a lot better but there were times when I swear I felt my internal organs moving about! The GAF guys always wore some sort of body armour to protect them. Of course, we were made of sterner stuff and would just velcro our overalls a little tighter!

Ahh happy days!

NutLoose
14th May 2012, 11:34
That's it then, we need to deploy a Phantom, the sound resonance will make it uncomfortable for the majority of the crowd, the jet efflux should see off all but the persistant troublemakers and a quick blatt into reheat should see those remaining dispersed and singed around the edges somewhat, making it easy for police hit squads to locate and arrest them after the crowd has dispersed.

Job done.

Lonewolf_50
14th May 2012, 15:26
Sonic weapon.
Atlas Shrugged.

Fiction become fact?

See also Dick Tracy and the handy little comms devices now so common. Granted, the anti grav mobility devices are yet to be made, but sometimes sutff "envisioned" in dystopian lit eventually comes true.

See also Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game, written in the 70's, and his prediction of political fights being waged on (more or less) the internet/Usenet.

That has come to pass in spades.

Secret1
13th Jul 2012, 12:32
According to BBC TV News a few minutes ago a 'Lieutenant' Corporal in the RAF Regiment, seen onboard an RAF Puma helicopter, and colleagues are ready and waiting to shoot down those who dare ignore the newly created rules and regulations for flying in the controlled zone.

Not sure about any sonic weapon, but the gimpy looked rather fearsome.

Temporary Acting Commissioned Promotion for the role/duty??????????

:ooh:

airborne_artist
13th Jul 2012, 12:41
'Lieutenant' Corporal in the RAF RegimentIn October 1914 "Sir John French, Commander in Chief of the British Expeditionary Force, sent a request for 52 other ranks from the Artists to be made officers that same day to replace what he described as the 'colossal' officer losses of the 7th Division.

The only officer training they received was a two hour talk by their battalion commander, Lt Co!. May and a copy of the Field Service Pocket Book before the CO fixed 2nd Lieutenant stars to the shoulder straps of their other rank uniforms.

Col. May wrote later 'surely they were the most rapidly trained and scantily equipped young officers ever produced by the British Army. General Capper's (commander of the 7th Division) opinion, however, was "The young men you turned out have turned out splendidly. Have you any more like them?""

So you see it's been done before. ;)

Artists Rifles Association (http://artistsriflesassociation.org/regiment-artists-rifles.htm)

Agaricus bisporus
13th Jul 2012, 12:59
Hawkwind had the solution about 30 years ago...

Al R
13th Jul 2012, 13:10
I saw the piece; good to see the growbag badge budget hasn't been affected. ;)

ExAscoteer
13th Jul 2012, 15:10
These are the first signs of sonic attack:

You will notice small objects - such as ornaments - oscillating.
You will notice vibrations in your diaphragm.
You will hear a distant hissing in your ears.
You will feel the need to vomit.
You will feel dizzy.
You will have difficulty focusing.
You will need to breathe more rapidly.
There will be bleeding from orifices.
There will be an ache in the pelvic region.
You may be subject to fits of hysterical shouting or even laughter.

These are all sign of imminent sonic destruction.
Your only protection is flight.
If you are less than ten years old
Remain in your shelter and use your cocoon.
Remember - you can help no one else.

Do not panic.

Milo Minderbinder
13th Jul 2012, 15:13
If we're going to invoke Hawkwind....here it is in all its glory

Hawkwind (Stonehenge 1984) [12]. Sonic Attack - YouTube

NutLoose
13th Jul 2012, 15:32
Could we not just blast them with old Des O'Conners greatest hits, they could borrow them from SASless's collection.....

I owe him that one from a while back

ExAscoteer, they sound like they symptoms of a night on the pop.

Agaricus bisporus
13th Jul 2012, 19:29
Ex crab, Milo, spot on gentlemen!

Oh sh!t, I love derailing rubbish threads like this!!!!

He he he!

ex-fast-jets
13th Jul 2012, 19:44
Would deploying a ring of QFIs around London not be more effective??

fantom
13th Jul 2012, 20:01
Would deploying a ring of QFIs around London not be more effective??

Perhaps, but one of our little dogs has something even more deadly. You need ear-defenders at night...

Bubblewindow
13th Jul 2012, 20:17
You will notice small objects - such as ornaments - oscillating.
You will notice vibrations in your diaphragm.
You will hear a distant hissing in your ears.
You will feel the need to vomit.
You will feel dizzy.
You will have difficulty focusing.
You will need to breathe more rapidly.
There will be bleeding from orifices.
There will be an ache in the pelvic region.
You may be subject to fits of hysterical shouting or even laughter.

Typical night out then :E

BW