PDA

View Full Version : U-2 stall alpha?

CReed
10th May 2012, 17:54
Hello,
the question's in the title really, but in the off chance we have some people who work with U-2s around here, does anyone know what its stall alpha is, even roughly. You often see, in landing videos, that the aircraft drops to the ground, as if it has reached critical AoA, at a fairly low attitude, but equally, its approach speed it so low that a fairly low attiude could equate to a high alpha. Anyway, I'd really appreciate a response, from either someone who works with U-2s, or is just in the know.
Thanks a lot,
Charlie

Tourist
10th May 2012, 17:57
I believe from chatting to the guys when they looked after me very well for an afternoon that they do, in fact, stall it on from about a foot or so.

Apparently it is of critical importance to get the back little skateboard wheel on first.

CReed
10th May 2012, 18:07
Oh okay, thanks, I was more asking for a number, but that's good to know. I've been lucky enough to go in a chase car behind one with a pilot, but forgot to ask about the stall AoA, either way, the guy we were chasing would have been in trouble if that's the case (which I'm inclined to believe it is), he definitely put the front wheel down first :)