PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Maintenance Engineer?

Jared
10th May 2012, 14:43
Hi,

I am a Commercial Helicopter Pilot looking at getting into the AME side of things, with a particular interest in the Robinson helicopter.

As I have no engineering experience, I guess an apprenticeship is the place to start? Any suggestions?

Looking to fast-track the whole process, if this is possible.

Regards

Jared

Kengineer-130
13th May 2012, 23:36
If you complete an approved 147 apprenticeship, which is 2-3 years full time study & OJT, with 2400 hours minimum taught hours & 2 years practical experience in your log book, plus all of the B1 or B2 module passe you can apply for your licence.

Without an approved couse, you will be looking at 5 years log book experience minimum, plus passes in all of the B1 or B2 modules.

There is no real way to fast track becoming an LAE, as it relies heavily on the skills & knowledge gained over a wide variety of tasks that simply cannot be taught from a book.

Full details on the CAA website: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/177/8355%20Section%20D_07.pdf:ok:

Jared
16th May 2012, 18:51
Hi Kengineer-130,

I appreciate your response and assistance.

Best Regards

Jared:ok:

NutLoose
21st May 2012, 20:24
Can you not have a word with any engineer that works on what you fly, they may allow you to help out, it will increase your knowledge on what you fly whilst attaining the experience.