PDA

View Full Version : Lake Eyre - Dry season

sharpie_29
10th May 2012, 05:04
What is the Lake Eyre scenic business looking like this dry season? Anyone got any news?

Desert Flower
10th May 2012, 10:26
Aircraft still going up there from Hawker, Wilpena Pound, Parachilna, & Marree on a daily basis.

DF.

Jabawocky
10th May 2012, 12:03
This once in a lifetime opportunity (since 2009) has to dry up some time..... :}

I have had 3 lifetimes worth, and will probably give it a miss this year!

Horatio Leafblower
10th May 2012, 12:06
The Broken Hill guy is doing a bit too I believe :ok:

185skywagon
10th May 2012, 20:46
We are running again. A little quiet, though.

VH-XXX
10th May 2012, 21:32
I like the catch phrases being used since 2009... Something like...

The Flood of a lifetime.
The once every 100 year flood.
The biggest ever flood.

Something like that, you get the drift!

Desert Flower
10th May 2012, 22:43
I like the catch phrases being used since 2009... Something like...

The Flood of a lifetime.
The once every 100 year flood.
The biggest ever flood.

Something like that, you get the drift!

Yeah - that amuses me too! Also amuses me when they say the lake is full - it's been nowhere near full in the last three years. Water in it certainly, but not full!

DF.

dhavillandpilot
11th May 2012, 01:15
I can never understand people wanting to go out to Central Australia to see muddy water.

The best I have ever seen Lake Eyre (north and South) was when it was absoutely dry. The stark whiteness of the salt is magnificent, and the best part is there isn't hordes of tourists and swarms of low flying Cessnas engaged in dog fights over the Lake.

kimwestt
11th May 2012, 01:24
Hasn't stopped you from selling a few (hundred) seats for the area, though -eh?:D

acd
12th May 2012, 01:00
i have some pax i am taking on a tour soon who mentioned something called the painted hills. according to the websites i have scouted, evidently their location is a "closely guarded secret". i havent flown outback tours for some years now and i dont know of this sight. where are they ?

outnabout
12th May 2012, 05:45
The location of the Painted Hills is so secret and hidden that they are marked on the WAC.

The question is - Should you be selling seats to a destination when you have to ask on a public forum where to find it?

Desert Flower
12th May 2012, 09:00
i have some pax i am taking on a tour soon who mentioned something called the painted hills. according to the websites i have scouted, evidently their location is a "closely guarded secret". i havent flown outback tours for some years now and i dont know of this sight. where are they ?

Obviously you haven't scouted the right websites then! Just type painted hills south australia into your browser & you'll get so many hits you won't know where to start.

From just one website:

The Anna Creek Painted Hills is a spectacular and recently discovered section of the pristine Breakaways country in the far north of South Australia. Breakaway country appears around Coober Pedy, Oodnadatta, Copper Hills, Arckaringa Hills, William Creek and Evelyn Downs.

The Anna Creek Painted Hills offers an amazing sight by air. It is a rocky outcrop of large and small hills, which emerge suddenly out of a flat, desert landscape. The area can only be accessed by air, due to its fragility and natural beauty.

DF.

ForkTailedDrKiller
12th May 2012, 09:15
And don't forget to check for Woomera Romeo activations, acd....

Yeah Jaba - take note! :E

Dr :8

Jabawocky
12th May 2012, 09:49
Quote:
And don't forget to check for Woomera Romeo activations, acd....
Yeah Jaba - take note! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

Dr http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/nerd.gif

I did thankfully or your ar$e might have been toast. :ok:

VH-XXX
12th May 2012, 10:08
Jabba enjoys rockets and IFR rescue choppers zoming past whilst being called over and over by ATC.