PDA

View Full Version : Toll Dnata VS Virgin Australia Ground handling/baggae/ramp

johnboy123
10th May 2012, 02:31
Hi all, I am new to this forum and not sure if this is the right place to post this I'm just looking for some advice from people who know what they are talking about. I am currently working for toll dnata as a ground crew member i have been working their for 2 weeks now and i am enjoying it, I have also been progresses through to the reference checks for a VB ground crew job. I am just wanting people opinion on which job i should take if succesfull for Vb, Tolls pay rate is a lot higher then VB toll being about $28 flat rate that means working early or late even public holidays it does not change where as VB is only like $17 but you get penalties etc, I have heard that working for toll i get to do a lot more stuff and it may be easier to move up in the company but job security may not be the best, I would like to work at virgin and work my way up as high as i can get I'm just wanting peoples views on all of this. cheers

Bigbluebroxi
11th May 2012, 09:22
$28 per hour?

Can I ask if thats regarded as a high wage in australia?

puff
11th May 2012, 13:44
johnboy - I guess the whole situation depends on where and what you want to end up doing.

You'll find that the toll position will be casual wage, thus it's inflated around 22 to 25% to allow for the fact that you don't get sick pay or annual leave, then it's got the shift penalty rolled in, add to this, you'll generally have no guarantee of hours for the day, and you will probably be expect to work split shifts, IE 4 hours in AM, 4 hours in PM, which may mean 2 trips to work every day, or sitting around not getting paid at work for hours on end. Toll you'll never likely be able to get a full time position, and your role could end if they lose a contract. When they are busy you may work lots of hours, quiet nearly none.

Get a role at Virgin, the pay rate is lower because you get sick leave, annual leave, staff travel benefits, plus penalty rates for early/late and weekend/public holidays. You there also have the opportunity to eventually be a full time employee and then where you go from there in the company depends on your skills and attributes.

Generally most of the people that work for the contractors are happy to work there because the hours suit them, or they use that experience to get more permanent jobs with larger airlines. Check out the awards they are both available to be searched at Home | Fair Work Australia (http://www.fwa.gov.au)

puff
11th May 2012, 13:50
bigblue - average australian wage is $1033 a week - bout $53k a year or around $25 an hour for a 40 hour week. This generally excludes 9% superannuation, 10 days sick pay and 4 weeks annual leave which are in addition to the above.