PDA

View Full Version : G1000 training

SunnyDayInWiltshire
9th May 2012, 18:56
I'm planning to have some G1000 dual time when in the US on business this month. I've never flown a glass cockpit before - my IMC was done entirely on steam gauges and I've no experience of the Garmin 430 or similar yet.

Main intention was just to see what it's like - I've read a few pprune threads about G1000 and the various widely differing viewpoints. The price of private flight training in the US makes this very attractive - dual training on a G1000 is similar to solo rental of an older aircraft in the UK.

With relatively little time at the flight school (where they do have a ground flight simulator as well as aircraft), I'd appreciate any suggestions to make it productive and enjoyable. I'll read Garmin's own training manuals on their website of course, but is there anything else I should read or do beforehand? During the training should I stick mainly to VFR or include some practice IFR approaches (I'm IMC rated).

Second question relates to whether the training would count towards either an FAA or EASA qualification. The flight school is FAA only - I've seen a G1000 checkout being offered, but don't think that's a specific FAA rating as such. There is an EASA EFIS qualification for PPL SEP pilots and I'd probably be doing almost as much as both sections of this UK-based EFIS course (http://flyingtime.co.uk/en/Garmin_G1000_EFIS_Course). Would the time spent count towards it (even if it just reduced the time to formally complete it in the UK)?

I'm not very familiar with US airspace or local practices, so will need to take a lot in at the same time. However I'm not under any pressure to pass a test or gain a qualification so can just wind down and enjoy the scenery if it gets too much.:)

Gertrude the Wombat
9th May 2012, 19:22
Did mine before EASA was relevant (but not very long ago).

After a ground training session, then a 35 minute flight in VMC, then a one hour flight most of which happened to be in IMC (with a single ILS approach) I got signed off for both VMC and IMC ...

... hmm, I thought, no, I don't really feel like diving straight off into clouds on my own, that's not enough. Since then I've done around another 14 hours on my own, including an ILS approach with a "competent observer", with no problem at all, and some GNSS approaches with an instructor. I would now feel no more unhappy flying into IMC with the G1000 than with steam gauges. But I'm not sure I'd take passengers into IMC yet.

The Max Truscott CD-ROM I found useful.

I now book a G1000 aircraft in preference whenever I can get it, it makes navigation so much easier ...

Fuji Abound
9th May 2012, 22:19
The most important thing to do is get a copy of garmin's g1000 pc sim and gain as much time on the pc as you can. The g1000 is all about knowing what buttons and knobs do what (without hesitation) and how to get from one option to another. Armed with that knowledge its easy, without you will waste hours in the cockpit become frustrated and become one of the nay sayers.

The g1000 is a delight to fly with and does eveything you want with only a very few gotchas. It is definitely better with garmins digital autopilot.

Tolka
10th May 2012, 06:37
I rented a G1000 equipped aircraft in Colorado in 2007. They told me in advance that they would have to check me out on my knowledge and ability with the G1000 (I had no experience of it before then). They recommended that I get the King Schools DVD called Cleared for Flying the Garmin 1000. I did the DVD course at home. When I did the check out I had no problems. I was familiar enough with it to be able to use most of its features straight away. I was flying VFR. The DVD also deals with IFR procedures. Well worth getting.

Cobalt
10th May 2012, 11:54
I second Fuji - get the G1000 CD ($20 or $25? don't remember) for the actual aircraft you will fly, all G1000 installations are subtly different, except for the Cirrus installation, which is unsubtly different. It is also cheap.

Then download the G1000 training guide, which contains two dozen or so "lessons", and work through it. While a bit mis-named and not that great (it looks more like a test) it makes sure that you cover most areas of it's functionality.

Can't comment on the other recommendations, they migt be worth checking out, too.

One word of warning: When you "load" and "activate" instrument approaches, monitor the system like a hawk. The G1000 automatically dials and selects approach aid frequencies, exactly when and how depends on what is displayed on the HSI. It works very well if you fly the "Garmin" way (GPS/FMS all the way until you intercept the final approach track), but can b**er you up when you select and use "classic" navaids yourself.

peterh337
10th May 2012, 11:57
FWIW, and I don't know if that applies here, I would not spend money having training in a plane different to what I will be flying afterwards.

That was e.g. why when I went to the USA to do the FAA IR I chose a school which had no glass cockpit planes.

The G1000 is easy enough to pick up unless, as Cobalt says, you are going to use it fully :)

Fuji Abound
10th May 2012, 13:14
I would suggest the G1000 is easy enough to pick up, but a lot depends on how familiar you are with systems of this type. I find those accustom to using computers all day long "take" to glass cockpits much quicker. Even so I would suggest 4 or 5 hours on the Garmin sim is required for you to be comfortable with the system for VFR flights while using most of its route planning and other functionality.

Adding command of IFR functionality ( and by that I really mean the ability to plan and fly IFR approaches and departures including setting up a different approachs or departures on the "fly") will take at least another 4 or 5 hours of your time and some real time use in the cockpit.

I think the "test" of whether you are really familiar with the G1000 is to have someone with at least 100 hours on glass sit with you, set up some scenarios and ask you to reprogram the system and call up some of the display options. If most of it is second nature then you have really got to grips with the system.

I found that the different makes of glass avionics are surprisingly similiar - I started out with the G1000 on a DA40 and DA42 but actually having mastered the G1000 the transition to other makes is surprisingly easy - even if on the odd occasion you find yourself doing it the Garmin way rather than Mr Avidyne's way for example.

Citationcj2
11th May 2012, 08:38
I also have Garmin G1000 trainer which is available to buy from garmin website. Its excellent product and quite easy to use. :ok: