PDA

View Full Version : Top Gun Aviation

Aimpoint
9th May 2012, 08:14
A mate of mine applied for the L-39 job advertised on AFAP a couple of weeks ago. He received back an email which sounded more like a buy-in to the Albatross rather than just a job. Any one else know more? Looking for someone with 500 hours PIC to fly an ex-military jet did sound too good to be true.

Neville Nobody
9th May 2012, 08:30
I can see how bashing a 172 round for 500 hours would prepare you for flying a jet, the old "If it sounds too good to be true.................

aileron_69
9th May 2012, 08:37
In fairness to them they did ask for someone with Turboprop or Jet experience....admittedly of course while there are people out there with 500 hours and turbine time, there arent huge numbers.

WannaBeBiggles
9th May 2012, 09:14
"Or willingness to obtain" is the key word. When speaking to an operator of the L-39 a while back he said the rough running costs are around $6,000 an hour, so if you're financial enough...

However, how many RAAF drivers out there would have those sort of credentials and are keen to do some flying which isn't planned down to the last minute detail? RAAF Amberley is just down the road and plenty of guys and girls who have some solid hours in PC-9's doing low level aerobatics, let alone anything else they are burning around in now, not to mention any retirees?

But must say, who ever snags this one is going to have one awesome job!

falconx
9th May 2012, 10:50
Imagine flying that for a living!

Gate_15L
9th May 2012, 10:57
When speaking to an operator of the L-39 a while back he said the rough running costs are around $6,000 an hour, so if you're financial enough..

Sounds like someone is making a healthy margin off you there! That'll get you a Dash 8 per hour!

Looks like the going rate in the States is around $2300-2500 USD an hour for a L39...

Aircraft Rental Rates | Plane Ride Rates | Aerobatic Plane Ride Rates | Flight Instruction Rates | Chicago IL | Gauntlet Warbirds (http://www.gauntletwarbirds.com/rates.htm)
Eastern Bloc Aircraft Services (http://www.easternblocaircraft.com/jet.html)

$6000 an hour!?! Hey Mav, you got that number of that truck drivin school? Truckmasters?!

ramble on
9th May 2012, 12:30
$6000 AUD per hour here v $2300 USD per hour there.

Thats about right - Australian prices.

And, we do have to pay for 'air services' and Greg Russell's expenses.

aileron_69
10th May 2012, 01:08
Na mate, its the GST, thats where the difference in price comes from....just ask all the Australian retailers complaining they cant compete with stuff bought online as they have to charge GST. $2300 x 1.1 = $6000 (or pretty close to) :E

tail wheel
10th May 2012, 01:56
Australia advocates and promoted a free market economy. A free market is a market where prices are determined by supply and demand.

A seller may charge whatever he wishes or believes the market will stand and it is then up to the purchaser to decide whether they chose to purchase that service or commodity.

I think the original post related to employment rather than services sold?

falconx
18th Jun 2012, 01:21
any news on the operator, now advertising with EOI for the strikemaster, which my rrecollection was just an armed t5 provost?

alphacentauri
18th Jun 2012, 01:42
Pretty much an armed T5. I think it just had slightly more powerful engine and strengthened landing gear, plus hard points.

falconx
19th Nov 2012, 23:16
Did anyone score a gig with these guys?