PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

rigpiggy
9th May 2012, 01:11
If you saw a pilot running across the ramp, waving his arms to get your attention, then slicing a hand across his throat while pointing at your engine(s)?

Transatlantic ferry, puking fuel out, probably in the order of 1/2 gallon/minute

Sir Niall Dementia
9th May 2012, 06:17
Taxy out quick, and hope he's forgotten the £100 I borrowed off him by the next time I see him:E

Seriously; shut it down, I bet he's seen something I missed.

JEM60
9th May 2012, 06:58
Only one possible answer to this, and it's already been given.

Liftboy
9th May 2012, 07:02
Well, the question is: "What would MacGyver do" :}

Seriously, as Niall already said, shut it down and have a look.

CaptainProp
9th May 2012, 08:30
Yea agree, this guy has obviously seen something me and my crew missed so better check it and then decide the next step...

NuName
9th May 2012, 09:01
I pray that I do not one day find myself sharing the cockpit with someone that needs to pose this question. :confused:

Evanelpus
9th May 2012, 09:04
Depends if I recognised the 'pilot' that is Robert Weaver!

Sillypeoples
9th May 2012, 16:47
I had it happen to me...put on the brakes, engine at idle...get out and talked to the guy...in my case, he didn't like us doing 'too many touch and goes'. lol.

Best you stop and investigate...I stopped Clay Lacy from taxiing out, his seat belt buckle was hanging out of the door jam, was dragging on the ground...he thanked me.

mad_jock
9th May 2012, 17:05
Well personally I don't think you should be running across a controlled area giving hand signals.

Best way is to phone/radio ATC giving the registration and say they have fuel leaking. In the clearest none standard english you can. Then let ATC deal with the issue. More for the fact they will need the AFS to deal with the fuel contamination.

I might add running anywhere on the ramp is a daft idea.

mutt
9th May 2012, 17:22
Any stranger running towards us as we start is liable to get shot!

Mutt

what next
9th May 2012, 17:26
I might add running anywhere on the ramp is a daft idea.

Depends what you are running away from.

I once gave this kind of "signals" to a guy who was about to start his engines with the covers still on. I doubt if calling ATC by phone and ask them to tell him not to proceed with the starting procedure would have had the same result...

Pace
9th May 2012, 22:52
If you saw a pilot running across the ramp, waving his arms to get your attention, then slicing a hand across his throat

Taxi to the runway as fast as possible and takeoff. Especially if you had been chatting up his wife or worse earlier :E

jetopa
10th May 2012, 08:01
Any stranger running towards us as we start is liable to get shot!

Mutt

But this has to do with the people you fly for or the country you live in, friendo!

rigpiggy
10th May 2012, 14:58
In this case here, I was the guy wildly gesticulating on the ramp. I was within 20' pointing/signing, he sat there running for another 30 seconds. Just wondered if I should have given him the"fire" signal. he left a 20 ft puddle of 100ll. He thanked me afterward, but I couldn't fathom what was going through his mind.

how exactly would you call atc #1 if your powered down, #2 don't know the reggie, #3 Buddy isn't on the radio have his headset on

silverknapper
10th May 2012, 17:41
I had it happen to me...put on the brakes, engine at idle...get out and talked to the guy...in my case, he didn't like us doing 'too many touch and goes'. lol.

I certainly wouldn't do that.