PDA

View Full Version : Aircrew food

Anthony Appleyard
8th May 2012, 15:46
I once read about a rule that "the members of an aircrew must each bring a packed lunch, each man from somewhere different and not share any or hand any round, to avoid the whole crew going down with food poisoning.". Please, is that correct, and where does that rule apply, and when was it started?

Denti
8th May 2012, 18:55
Bring my own lunch? I'm working for an airline, not in a coal mine. We do get crewmeals of course, minimum is a tablet with a cold meal, bread, several bread rolls, salad, some cheese and meat, for breakfast jam or some other sweet stuff, as well as some sweets for dessert. Additionally two tablets of fruit for the whole crew. If the flight duty time is longer than 8 hours enough warm meals for every crew member and quite often additional spares. And of course as many passenger snacks as they don't eat, quite a lot usually.

We don't have any fixed rule anymore about not eating the same stuff, but usually tastes are suitably different anyway that it is not a problem.

gingernut
9th May 2012, 21:30
I'm not sure if you've ever watched the aviation safety documentary Airplane, but disaster nearly struck when all the crew had the fish.

homonculus
10th May 2012, 20:59
It was friday

Agaricus bisporus
10th May 2012, 23:29
But to answer the original questions,

1) No

2) Nowhere

3) 8th May 2012 16:46

gingernut
11th May 2012, 19:11
Shirley you can't be serious?

99jolegg
11th May 2012, 19:56
The only vein of truth in that is the bit about crew eating different meals; a lot of airlines provide different meals for the captain and first officer so they don't eat the same thing.

Our ops manual also cautions eating the same thing from the same restaurant either on airport standby, but more so down route.

MaximumPete
12th May 2012, 22:12
Crew food: S***t,

Bit like airbourne school meals.

Passenger food: Now you're talking!!

p.s. Stay away from the fish

Gulfstreamaviator
13th May 2012, 08:35
The food items might be different ie FISH CHICKEN BEEF.....(assuming you can tell the differene), but the prep areas might be the same, the extras might be the same, the delivery vehicle, the same, the aircraft galley, and prep areas, and serving areas are the same.....

There is always a risk, when away from base, and ones "trusted" caterers......

Eat in seperate restaurants and drink seperate water, (bottled), and NO salads when down the route...always good advice.

Use aircraft bottled water, as a guarantee of quality, (unless with certain ME airlines who will fire you for this offence).....

In corporate pax meals and crew meals are almost interchangeable, so safety is reasonable... I eat steak, my Co-Captain eats shell fish.....just waiting for him to get the old Delhi Belly.

Now spotted dick and custard....perfect cure for all main course ills.....

Just my 1 fils worth...

from BG2CT
29th May 2012, 14:35
hospital ?! what is it ?:}

gingernut
29th May 2012, 21:51
It's a large building with lot's of windows, but that's not important right now.

Coffee Johny?

from BG2CT
29th May 2012, 22:22
:}:8:):cool:

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking.

gingernut
29th May 2012, 23:13
Roger Roger.

Clearance Clarence?

grounded27
29th May 2012, 23:16
Love this thread, no worries we have an autopilot!

gingernut
30th May 2012, 06:09
With an autoinflation tube ?

Otto the autopilot - YouTube

Wannabe Flyer
30th May 2012, 06:38
No worries 300 hr Microsoft Sim passenger will land the great silver machine

from BG2CT
30th May 2012, 12:12
ha haaaa you guys made my day !
don't call me shirley:cool:

gingernut
30th May 2012, 21:33
Tell me Johny, have you ever been in a cockpit before?

svhar
30th May 2012, 22:37
I think this thread belongs in Jet Blast by now. It began with a sincere question on this matter and now jokes fly around. Next we'll see some Parkinson's or Alzheimer's jokes on the appropriate threads.

ShyTorque
30th May 2012, 22:51
Next we'll see some Parkinson's

He's always on TV these days selling life insurance plans for the over 50s. Not sure if it covers food poisoning....

gingernut
30th May 2012, 22:52
Johny, what do you make of this ?

svhar
30th May 2012, 23:09
The reason is that I have been there and it is no laughing matter. Salmonella from raw tuna fish, which had been left in the galley for 4 hours at 30°C because of a delay due to weather. It kicked in 6 hours after consumption. I lost 8 kilos in two weeks and I thought I would die. At the time I wanted to die. Since then I have not touched anything raw.

ShyTorque
30th May 2012, 23:26
I agree, the only time I ever consumed a raw oyster was at a barbeque in a hot country in the tropics. The seafood was on ice but I think the sun had got to it. I was very violently ill and a few days later my skin turned very, very yellow! I couldn't blame the beer for that.

750XL
31st May 2012, 04:38
We used to fairly regularly get Libyan Airlines CRJs passing through on delivery, before leaving again for Tripoli. One day a collegue came back to the office and very excitedly shouted 'look what I got off the Libyan! A huge platter of fresh sea food, tuck in!'. Not a single person took him up on that offer, and he couldn't understand why claiming the food was perfectly fine. We all took great pleasure in seeing him run to and from the toilet for the next 4 hours :}

pudoc
31st May 2012, 12:36
Just waiting for Jamie Oliver to come along and make it so airlines have to have a chef onboard to cook fresh healthy meals for crew.

gingernut
31st May 2012, 16:59
I think this thread could be over, over.