PDA

View Full Version : Whats used where

batboy1970
8th May 2012, 12:16
Maybe a daft question but how does an Airline decide what aircraft type (or age of aircraft more appropriately goes where), i fully understand costing, fuel econemy, pax numbers etc but the question that came up is that a few of us fly to and from Ghana constantly with BA on 777s and they just seem to be the older contingent with onboard entertainment systems never working etc etc.

I may be totally wrong but just wondered where all the shiny new ones are

AndoniP
8th May 2012, 12:20
Aren't they used on the Far East and US routes?

Hotel Tango
8th May 2012, 13:20
Don't know about BA but some carriers have the same type with different interior configurations depending on route. Perhaps this is the case with BA, or they want to keep the better a/c for those direct routes where they're in competition with the prestige carriers such as VIR, CPA, ANZ, SIA etc.

Tableview
8th May 2012, 13:31
I think the 'correct' answer is configuration for certain routes, according to the traffic and passenger demographics and size.

The 'non PC' answer is that some airlines keep the aircraft with the tattiest interiors on the routes where they know there is no point in deploying smart shiny new aircraft.

WASPERNATOR
8th May 2012, 21:22
Definitely seems to be my experience.. tatty aircraft on the tourist routes.

BA fleet now showing its age, older 744 and 777. Few new aircraft and slow refit programme.

Must be costing it customers on some routes?

AndoniP
9th May 2012, 08:34
I think BA are spending a shedload on gradual upgrades to the interiors of their aircraft - 777-200s, the new 777-300ERs, 767s and 747s will all have updates.

It was time for them to update the interiors as they were starting to look a bit shabby to be honest.

From the BA website:

The new World Traveller experience is available right now on the latest addition to our fleet, the state-of-the-art Boeing 777-300ER, operating on selected flights to and from Mumbai, Chicago, Delhi, Dubai, New York JFK, Tokyo Narita and Hong Kong.

I assume all long-haul flights are treated as non-tourist.